Search for content in message boards

Martha Edge (1841-1916), daughter of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb.

Martha Edge (1841-1916), daughter of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb.

Tom McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cobb, Irwin, Edge
Martha Edge (1841-1916), daughter of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb. My line:
Nehemiah Edge, Jr., son of Nehemiah Edge, Sr.??? (no further info).
James Edge (abt.1780-aft.1860), son of Nehemiah Edge, Jr. and Sarah Stephens Hodgins.
Thomas Edge (ca.1800-ca.1849), son of James Edge and Elizabeth Ervin/Irvin/Erwin.
Martha Edge (1841-1916), daughter of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb. What I MOST want:
- Info on Nehemiah Edge, Jr.'s ancestry and marriage to Sarah
- Confirmation of James Edge's decendency and marriage Elizabeth.
- Confirmation of Thomas Edge's decendency and marriage to Ressey.
I have Ressey and Thomas' marriage certificate. I would feel more comfortable with the line if I could confirm that my Thomas is descended from that James who is descended from that Nehemiah. Tom McDonald

Re: Martha Edge (1841-1916), daughter of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb.

Posted: 20 Aug 2005 4:11AM GMT
I have a query a bit off- thread from your inquiry.

My great grandmother is Nancy Elizabeth Edge. She was b. 1834, married James P. Black in 1850 in Paulding Co. GA and is buried at Concord Meth. Church in Conecuh, AL I believe she is a child of Thomas Edge and Ressey Cobb. I have no documentation at present. A child of Thomas and Ressey named a daughter Nancy Elizabeth Edge, born around 1850.

Do you have a list of the children of Thomas and Ressey?

Do you have any info. on the parents of Nancy Elizabeth Edge?

Would you point me to the source of the marriage license you mention? I would like to obtain a copy.

Are you aware of the Family Tree on Ancestry.com entitled Bell and Allied Families by Leavie Bell? She has the Edge line back to the 1500's. In an email from her she told me the Edge family was her husband's line. She also stated she obtained most of her Edge information from a folder entitled McDonald at the Huntsville, AL library.

Is the work in that folder yours?

I'd very much like to exchange info. I will be happy to share what I have from Nancy E. forward.

Please contact me here or at xbobblack@bellsouth.net and drop the x.

Regards,

Bob Black in Atlanta

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 7:09PM GMT
I can cofirm the marriage of James and Elizabeth Ervin. I have a copy of their marriage certificate. They were married Dec 25, 1799 in Wilkes Co., GA. I also have a copy of a page from their family bible. Their children listed are: Joseph Edge Aug 4, 1811, Martha Edge Dec 18, 1816 and Obadiah Edge Mar 17, 1819. I am descended from Obadiah. I have been doing research on the Edge family for a couple of years. James and Elizabeth are buried in Popes Chapel Cemetery in St. Clair co. Al. As are numerous other family members. My research has turned up a Thomas stated to be born to James and Elizabeth, but I have not confirmed this fact since he is not listed on the bible page. There may be another page that was not given to my mother over 40 yrs age. If you have more updated info, please let me know. I see that your posting was in 2002. If you would like more info from me, I will be glad to share what info I do have.

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 8:15PM GMT
Does your bible page have any information regarding Nehemiah b. 1729/1730 or his son, Nehemiah b. 1754? You are so lucky to have the bible page. Do you know if there is a copy of that bible or those pages in a library?
My Edge family also goes back to Nehemiah in Wilkes County, GA. However, it is likely that Nehemiah's brother, Jeremiah is our direct ancestor. Nehemiah and Jeremiah were in Orange Co., NC at the same time and Jeremiah eventually moved to Hancock Co. GA where he died.
It seems to me there has been some confusion between the 2 Nehemiah's and especially who they were married to in some of the information floating around. Would love to find something that shows who either of the Nehemiah's was married to, a will, a probate, or a burial site. So far I've managed 0 on all of the above.
I have a lot of infomation on the Edge family and will be happy to share what I have.
Donna

Posted: 14 Sep 2007 3:18PM GMT
My research shows a Nehemiah Edge Sr. and Jr. I found some info in Maryland Archives Online. There is lot of interesting info to be found in the MD records. In 1759 he was an executor of the estate of his father, Joshua in Somerset Co.,MD. It listed the minor children of Joshua. Their names were Abigail, Jeremiah and Obadiah. He is on the 1791 and 1792 tax list of Wilkes Co. GA. My info shows James Edge as the son of Nehemiah Jr. My decendency (I think)is Thomas Edge, Joshua, Nehemiah Edge Sr., Nehemiah Edge Jr., James Edge, Obadiah Edge (I also have copies of pages from his bible), George Washington Edge, George Monroe Edge. The info may go back further, but, I am having some problems dates and locations.Some info online shows going back to 1500s in England. Our line of the Edges may have come over to settle in Chester PA. It is possible that Thomas moved from PA to MD. I have a Family Tree Maker database that I am entering all the info I can into. Any info have you can share on your family, it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 14 Sep 2007 4:26PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. The information you have is pretty much what I have for the early Edges. I have some informatin that points to the Cheshire English Edges that came to the US that seems to point to the fact that what I call The Edge Quaker group that settled in PA being related to the MD group but can't find a definite link.
My e-mail is d.bwright@tx.rr.com Please send me a note to that address. I am at work and don't have my information here with me.
Donna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions