Search for content in message boards

Marriott

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bligh, Marriott, Haddy, Marks, Prescott, Cox, Ackland, Soley
Edward Marriott b. Nottingham c. 1859; father John Marriott, baker. Background is otherwise a mystery.

Edward married Louisa Jessie Haddy 1879 in Manchester. They lived in Southport later.

Edward was a commercial salesman and manager of Tootal, Broadhurst & Lee.

Died in Irlam 1943.

Re: Marriott

Posted: 2 Jun 2006 9:08PM GMT
Not sure but is this your Edward. Just to be sure before I start going backwards for you.
1861 Eng Census Radford, Nottingham
Head: John Marriott abt 1827 Quarndon, Leicestershire, England
Wife: Sarah Marriott abt 1829 Nottinghamshire, England

Children:
Barnett Marriott abt 1855 Nottinghamshire, England
Edward Marriott abt 1860 Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, England
John Marriott abt 1852 Nottinghamshire, England
Leonard Marriott abt 1857 Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, England

kathy sharan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 12:31AM GMT
Thanks so much for your post. It is really kind of you. Don't do anything more yet - I have run across this family before and have excluded them but I'm going to check it out again. I'll get back to you.

Bill Park (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 2:27AM GMT
I am not sure I can help but I have a number of John Marriotts in my line. Possibly the closest one married Mary Brittle in Basford in 1831. I would be happy for you to make contact.
Best Regards
Bill

Bill Park (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 12:16AM GMT
I have a reasonably extensive history of a Marriott family going back to about 1640. One of my ancestors is a John Marriott b.abt 1773 and married Ann Richards. They, in turn, had a son John (b. 1808) who married Mary Brittle. By chance, does this family grouping have any linkage with yours?
In any event I would be most pleased to hear further from you. Kindest Regards Bill Park

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Marriott Haddy Dawson Prescott Cox Ackland Marks Cursons Lamb Oakley Lang Baker
Thanks for your post, Bill.

The problem with my Marriotts is that I hit a brick wall at 1859. My Edward is not in the birth records or, it seems, the censuses in 1861 and 1871 when he would be with his parents.

So I have nothing on Edward's parents except what it says on his two marriage certificates: his father was John Charles Marriott; he was a baker; he was deceased before the first marriage in 1879. From the 1881 through 1901 Edward seems to have been born in Nottingham (city) c. 1859.

So your John is a good possibility but do you know anything more about him?
Let's hope for a connection.
Kathy

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Marriott Haddy Dawson Prescott Cox Ackland Marks Cursons Lamb Oakley Lang Baker
Thanks for your post, Bill.

The problem with my Marriotts is that I hit a brick wall at 1859. My Edward is not in the birth records or, it seems, the censuses in 1861 and 1871 when he would be with his parents.

So I have nothing on Edward's parents except what it says on his two marriage certificates: his father was John Charles Marriott; he was a baker; he was deceased before the first marriage in 1879. From the 1881 through 1901 Edward seems to have been born in Nottingham (city) c. 1859.

So your John is a good possibility but do you know anything more about him?
Let's hope for a connection.
Kathy

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Marriott Haddy Dawson Lamb Oakley Marks Cursons Lang Prescott Cox Ackland Poynter
Hi, Linda,

I checked again and they are not the family. They are such a great possibility so it's disappointing. The problem is that the father and son from that family are living together in 1881; in my case the father is dead in 1881 and the son is on the census with his wife and new baby.

If you can come up with any more help please let me know. Thanks so much.

Kathy

Posted: 2 Oct 2006 5:45PM GMT
Bill, I have an Ann Maryot, born about 1690 in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottingham, who on 20 December, 1711 married Zachariah Downing, born 19 December 1682 in Biggin or Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Any connection to your Marriotts?

Nigel Lloyd

Bill Park (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2006 9:50AM GMT
G'day Nigel,
Sadly I don't think there is a connection here. "My" Marriotts lived in Plumtree about this time (as well as the different name spelling).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions