McLaren family of Perthshire, Scotland to NY State
John McLaren of Little Dunkeld Parish and Catharine Stewart of Dull Parish were married by Banns 13 February 1762 at Dull Parish, Perthshire, Scotland. They had the following issue:
1. Margaret McLaren of Stretown/Skeltoon, Little Dunkeld Parish born Wednesday 6 June 1764, baptized June 8 at Logierait Parish, Perthshire (recorded in both Little Dunkeld and Logierait Parishes). Married Robert Kennedy at Caughnawaga, Montgomery Cty, NY April 30, 1788. Issue: Margaret (Brown) b. 1789; Christian/Christina (Dillon) b. 1791; Catherine b. 1793; Jane (Stark, Bearce) b. 1794; William C. b. 1798; John b. 1800; James Warren b. 1802.
2. James McLaren of Skeltoon, Little Dunkeld Parish baptized 29 August 1768 (recorded in both Little Dunkeld and Logierait Parishes).
It is possible that he appears in the 1790 US Federal Census for Caughnawaga Town, Montgomery Cty, NY with a household of 2 free white males 16+ (self and brother?), 4 free white males -16 (sons ?), and 1 free white female (wife?).
3. John McLaren of Sheltoon/Skeltowan, Little Dunkeld Parish born Sunday 23 December 1770, baptized 30 December 1770 at Logierait (recorded in both Little Dunkeld and Logierait Parishes, Perthshire, Scotland). He married a Catherine in Montgomery Cty, NY circa 1798. Issue: John b. 1799; Anna (Knapp) b. 1801; James b. 1802; Margaret b. 1803; Christine (Kennedy) b. abt 1805; Catharine b. abt 1810; James b. 1813; Daniel b. abt 1814; Alexander b. abt 1816; William b. abt 1819.
The families of Margaret McLaren Kennedy and John McLaren both moved to what would became Penfield/Webster, Monroe Cty, NY in 1803.
I'm looking for any information about this family, especially James (1768) McLaren's wherabouts and descendants.
Possible other leads...a James McLaren married Mary McMartin 12 Oct 1779 (Caughnawaga Reformed Church Fonda (Montgomery Cty, NY)). They had 2 children baptized in the same church - Daniel 27 Oct 1780 (parents listed as James McLaren & Molly McMartin) and Peter 13 Feb 1782 (parents listed as James McClara & Mary McMartin). Further, the Johnstown Presbyterian Church lists the deaths of 3 James McLarens: Rev James McLaren (native of Perthshire, Scotland) d. 4 Jan 1827 age 55 yr [b.1772]; James McLaren d 29 Aug 1844 age 38 yr [b.1806]; James McLaren d 16 Jan 1795 age 46 yr [b.1749]. Also Mary, wife of James McLaren d 1 June 1847 age 96 [b.1751].
Note: Scottish marriage and birth records sourced through Scotland's People OPRs.
Re: McLaren family of Perthshire, Scotland to NY State
I was looking at a "tree" my sister started working on in 1998. This is the side of Margaret Mc Laren.
It starts with Family of Robert Kennedy (immigrated from Aberfeldey, Pertshire, Scotland on September 9, 1785). He married Margaret Mc Laren (immigrated from Dunblane, Scotland 1784)in 1788. Their children:
1) Margaret Kennedy born March 13, 1789,
2) Christina A. Kennedy, born March 8, 1791 - Married Benjamin Dillon in 1813.
3) Catherine Kennedy Born June 13, 1792,
4) Jane Kennedy born September 30, 1795 - Married to Stark (unknown)then to a Bourst.
5) William Kennedy born April 10, 1798,
6) John Kennedy Born June 23, 1800,
7) James Kennedy, born November 22, 1802,
Christina Kennedy and Benjamin Dillon had a son John Dillon, born October 10, 1815,
Jane Kennedy and Starks had a child, Margaret Starks born February 16, 1820.
John Dillon and Margaret Starks married in 1922(estimate)and were first cousins, They had eight children. Their children were born in Pittsford, Michigan.
1) Christina Dillon no DOB available - married to Harvey Ingersoll on March 11, 1884.
2) Jane Dillon
3) Helen J. Dillon
4) James K. Dillon born October 15, 1847 - married Eva Wolven February 9, 1876
5) Catherine C. Dillon born April 25, 1849
6) Eliza J. Dillon born April 12, 1851
7) Elmore D. Dillon born May 23, 1853 - Married to Parmelia J Hoover on June 10, unknown year.
8) John E. Dillon born June 5, 1856 - married Clara C. Wilcox on August 14, 1881
Elmore Dillon and Parmelia J. Hoover had three children:
1) Mary Lee Dillon born March 23, 1874 - she married a Barker (unknown)
2) Hazel Mildred Dillon born August 16, 1887 - Married David A Swartz on October 2, 1906
3) Beatrix Eldred Dillon born September 23, 1892 - married Richard Murphy on May 23, 1916
Hazel Dillon and David Swartz had a child:
Evelyn M. Swartz born June 29, 1907 - She had a child with Edward Wilson (no information) His name was Melvin Luther Wilson (my father) born September 8, 1927 in San Francisco, CA. Evelyn then married Otto J. Swenson July 30, 1931.