Search for content in message boards

Search for Colbeth ancestor

Search for Colbeth ancestor

Sandra Grigg Bingle (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Colbeth, Colbert
Surname Colbeth or Colbert, we have a picture, but no first name, a American mariner, my grandmother's father. He was from the east coast (New England) of America. Anybody seen any reference to him? I believe my grandmother was christened Chrystalia Colbeth in Christiansted Anglican Church. She married Ivan Grigg.

Colbeth

Richard Bond (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Colbeth
I see that Iris was listed with the rarer of the two spellings, Todmann. I remember Beulah the mother of the President of the VI Legislature Vargrage Richards saying she was a Todman(sp?) There was also the American diplomat from the Virgin Islands, Terence Todmann. You could try calling

J Lauanne Todmann 1-340-692-9809
or Orville Todman 1-340-778-5414
Orville Todman Jr 1-340-778-8110
Vargrave Richards 1-340-712-2308
The St Croix Landmarks Society would have those records
1-340-772-0598

Your response

Sandra Grigg Bingle (View posts)
Richard,

Thanks for your response. I'm on it today! Can you point me in the direction I can look for my Grandmother's mother's family? Granny was Chrystalia Colbeth married Ivan Grigg (1915-1916) on St Croix. I don't know g-grandmother's name but Granny had a younger half-sister, Iris Todman, who died on October 31, 1998 at age 89. At least one of her children and a son-in-law (Dr Richards, former President of UVI) are still on St Croix.
Also, do you know how I can get in touch with the organization which has the records of all the Danes on St. Croix? My cousin, Jeanne Grigg Blackwood, received correspondence from them a year or two ago and called me to get the names of my father's children, spouses, grandchildren, g-grandchildren and g-g-grands, and dates of birth, to update those records. She promised to send me a copy of the family tree information they gave her but she hasn't, yet. Apparently, because my father's paternal grandmother was a Dane, our family records are being kept...somewhere. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks again.
Sandra

Blackwood

Surnames: Blackwood

How about that the Blackwoods are from Washington County.

Colbeth

If you go to http://www.switchboard.com and enter the name Colbeth almost half are in New England which has a much smaller per centage of the over all population. A major cluster is in Washington County, Maine where there wer significant Cod Fisheries. The major export market for Cod was the West Indies. Another Maine family in St Croix are the Blackwoods but they seem to have been from further west.

Colbeth-Blackwood-Maine

Posted: 29 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:28PM GMT
It is interesting that the Blackwoods and Colbeths were both mariner families from Maine that came to St. Croix. See the recent Postings on this site about Blackwoods. Also, Arlene Brown Ackermann has put up an extensive Blackwood Family History (see below). She would be interested in hearing about Jeanne Grigg Blackwood. Do you know anything about the Blackwood side of Jeanne's ancestry?

Skillings

Posted: 29 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Add the SKILLINGS to the list of Maine mariners who came to St. Croix. Arlene Ackermann relates: "My Skillings line (who also married into my Blackwood line)...were mariners". The switchboard web site shows many Skillings living in Maine today.

Maine Mariners

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Skillings
Add to the list of Maine mariner families the SKILLINGS. Arlene Brown Ackermann has Skillings who went to the West Indies and intermarried into the Blackwood line.

COLBETH-GRIGG-TODMANN

Posted: 18 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2003 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: COLBETH, GRIGG, TODMANN
Your grandmother Chrystalia's younger sister Iris, was my step-grandmother. Her name was Iris Yolanda Williams, born December 23, 1907, St. Croix, Danish West Indies. I think she was born in Christiansted. I believe she also had a sister, Celita Williams, and brother, Basil Williams. Both are deceased. Celita's son, Henry Williams lives in St.
Croix. Iris married Milton Gerard Todmann of Frederiksted. Iris died in 1997 and is buried in St. Croix in the Frederiksted cemetery. Richard is correct about the spelling of Todmann with two n's. I will email you when I get more info. Good hunting.
Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2001 12:40AM GMT
Surnames: GRIGG, WILLIAMS, FARRELLY
Your grandmother's mother was Maria E. Farrelly from St. Croix per the 1917/18 census. Will post more info tomorrow, but have to run now.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions