Search for content in message boards

John Graham of NC, TN & AL

John Graham of NC, TN & AL

William R. Graham (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2002 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Graham
In search of the descendants of John Graham and Lydia Perry Rushing. Both were born in NC and migrated to TN then to Alabama. I am familiar with Thomas Jefferson Graham and Sarah (Graham) Holland's line. Would like information on descendants of:
Tidant L. Graham b. abt. 1816
James Graham b. abt. 1825
Mary Graham b. abt. 1827 m. Luther B. Sanderson
John C. Graham b. abt 1828, moved to Texas KIA at Gettysburg

Thank you,

William R. Graham

Re: John Graham of NC, TN & AL

Posted: 17 Nov 2002 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2003 5:36AM GMT
I do not have any information on the Graham's you are looking for, and also unfortunately I have very little information on my Graham ancestors, who are from Elmore County, Alabama. Any info you migh have on the Alabama Grahams would be modt appreciated.

All I know for certain is that my grandmother was Nina Lee Graham, b. June 30, 1893 in Elmore County, Alabama, and her mother was Sarah Elizabeth (Sally) Graham, b. July 21, 1868 (her maiden name was also Graham). I believe my grandmother's father was James Allen Graham, but I have no other information on him.

I believe my g grandmother, Sara Elizabeth Graham's parents were Andrew Graham and Harriett Williams.

I would greatly appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,
Jack Speigner

Posted: 21 Nov 2002 11:43PM GMT
According to our best information our ancestor, John Graham and his wife Lydia were born in N. C. and moved to TN or TN was created out of that part of NC. John was in the Creek Indian War in 1813. He and Lydia moved to Alabama around 1816. They had a large family there. Two of the boys were killed in the Confederate Army and another was killed by lightning. They were close friends with the Hollands and there were three marriages between the Graham and Holland family. We have no information on John or Lydia's family. We have reason to believe that Lydia's maiden name was Rushing. We know a little about John & Lydia's children.

Posted: 3 Dec 2003 4:13PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2005 4:02AM GMT
William, I was interested in an old message you posted on
2 Aug 2002 on John Graham. I am doing research on Hannah Graham, b. abt. 1820 in NC or TN. Her parents may have come from Graham Co., NC. You also mentioned a Thomas Jefferson Graham and Sarah (Graham) Holland line. Could you email me with if you have a Hannah Graham anywhere and also give me info on how I can contact whoever has info on Thomas Jefferson Graham. My Hannah had a baby boy on 9 Sept.1844 and named him Thomas Jefferson (Beaty). She was married to George Beaty of Fentress Co., Tn. She died nine days later on 14 Sept. 1844. Please email me at l_dickson@hotmail.com Thanks, Lindy Dickson

Posted: 3 Dec 2003 4:50PM GMT
Hi Lindy,

my gg/grandfather was John Graham b. 1792 in NC, he married Lydia in TN in 1814. They moved to AL in about 1816. one of their sons, Thomas Jefferson Graham (b. 1824) was my g/grandfather, he married Charity May Holland. (There were three marriages between the children of John & Lydia Graham and Jeremiah & Mahalth Langston Holland.) The problem is: none of our researchers (as far as I know) have identified the families of John Graham or his wife Lydia. Apparently there were numerous John Grahams who were contemporaries of our John. Even in my childhood community in Lawrence Co. AL our last name was pronounced "Grim" even among Grahams esp. those that moved to the West. I'm sorry. I have said all of this and have not touched upon Hannah. In Graham book genealogy, there is a Hannah Graham listed but she was born in 1993 in TN. Your Hannah would be from a line further back. Sorry, I could not help. Bill

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 10:36PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2004 6:11PM GMT
John,

Do you know if your John Graham b 1792 had any brothers named Thomas Jefferson or Grancer? On my gg-grandfather, I first know of him living in SC. I think he may have moved there from NC. We have records about a Thomas Jefferson and Grancer. Any info would be appreciated.

Keith
kegraham@juno.com

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 3:42AM GMT
Hi Keith,

Thanks for responding. We do not know anything about our John Graham's family. He married Lydia Cherry or Perry or Rushing in about 1814 in what is today Cannon County TN. They moved to the Mississippi Territory (later became north Alabama) in about 1816. John and Lydia's children were: Tidant, William Carroll, Malvina, John Davison or Davidson (who died in infancy), Thomas Jefferson, (Our progenitor), Mary, John C. (Confederate soldier mortally wounded at Gettysburg), Noel C. (Confederate soldier killed at Gaines Mill), Sarah and Louisiana. John served in the War of 1812 in the the Creek Indian War of 1813 serving in Capt.George Brandon's Company and Col Newton Cannon's Regiment. He received bounty land and his widow a pension for his service. According to the tax and census records that we know of - John never owned slaves. John and Lydia were Methodist. According to family lore, John's family was part of a group of farmers who worked together as a co-op living near the NC & Virginia line. The co-op failed and the families were their separate ways. I would be interested in any information that you can share. William R. Graham

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 7:17PM GMT
I cannot help you as I do not know anything but questions.
My GF, Johnny George Graham, was in the eastern part of Ms.,near Ala. in 1880, at age 17, Lauderdale Co., Ms. south of Meridian, Ms. and worked at a brick factory according to records, lived with a family of Barkers (listed as coming from Ga.) The story I have always heard is that JGG's father was killed in the Civil War and that his mother died in childbirth, leaving him w/o father, mother or siblings.
He took up the bricklaying profession. Sorry, to bother you, but sorry I am not any helf with yours, but if you know anything that will help me, please e mail me, S. Miller cpsmiller@gmail.com

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 7:18PM GMT
I cannot help you as I do not know anything but questions.
My GF, Johnny George Graham, was in the eastern part of Ms.,near Ala. in 1880, at age 17, Lauderdale Co., Ms. south of Meridian, Ms. and worked at a brick factory according to records, lived with a family of Barkers (listed as coming from Ga.) The story I have always heard is that JGG's father was killed in the Civil War and that his mother died in childbirth, leaving him w/o father, mother or siblings.
He took up the bricklaying profession. Sorry, to bother you, but sorry I am not any helf with yours, but if you know anything that will help me, please e mail me, S. Miller cpsmiller@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic