Search for content in message boards

Unknown DAY m. John McCULLOUGH - ALABAMA

Unknown DAY m. John McCULLOUGH - ALABAMA

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAY, McCULLOUGH, CARTWRIGHT
I am searching for the mother of my GG-Grandmother Stella/Estella McCullough. According to her (Stella's) death certificate her father was John McCullough and her mother's maiden name was Day with the first name being unknown. Stella was born in 1885 in Butler County, Alabama and according to her death certificate both of her parents were born in Alabama as well. I would appreciate any help in locating Stella's parental information.

I know that Stella married William Cartwright in 1904 in Butler County, Alabama and that she should have been listed in the 1900 census under the name McCullough. I hoped to find her family this way and get her mother's name but I have not been able to find Stella in the 1900 census AT ALL.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Unknown DAY m. John McCULLOUGH - ALABAMA

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Day, McCullough, Parnell
Based upon the 1885 birth date of your GG-grandmother, here are the only candidate female Days in Butler County that might be your missing GGG-grandmother: In the 1870 Census for Butler County, there are only two Day households with young Day females:
1. Sarah, born AL about 1869, daughter of William Day (b.1817)
2. Martha, born AL abt 1860, daughter of William Day
3. Ellen, born AL abt 1852, daughter of Thomas Day (b.1819)
4. Mary, born AL abt 1850, daughter of Thomas Day
Knowing the early marriage customs of the day, I would bet on Sarah who would have been 16 in 1885.

Have you had contact with Joyce Parnell McCullough? She also has a Day connection, but her Day family is in Loundes County AL. She published a book on her Parnell family. You need to contact her.

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 3:52AM GMT
Thanks so much for your help. I will look into these families and see if I can connect them to my Unknown Day.

I have not contacted Joyce Parnell McCullough ... do you have her email address? I tried looking over the message board for a way to contact her but I was unsuccessful.

Thanks so much!

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 4:15AM GMT
It is not the custom to post email addresses on a message board. Please send your identification directly to me at my email address as it appears in my Ancestry profile, and I will send the correct email address directly to your email address. You have not posted your email address in your Ancestry profile.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic