Search for content in message boards

RCASC WW2 Any information

RCASC WW2 Any information

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 11:25AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Hansler
Hi
does anyone have any info on this Canadian regiment during WW2, in particular Dispatch Riders during WW2.

Of if anyone knows of my father Charles(chuck,charlie) Hansler and his cousin Cecil(who was killed in action)

best wishes laura

Re: RCASC WW2 Any information

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 5:28PM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 15 Jul 2011 4:20AM GMT
Surnames: HANSLER
Laura
Don't know if you have seen this?

Regards

Name: HANSLER, CECIL FREDERICK
Initials: C F
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Corps of Signals
Unit Text: H.Q. II. Corps Sigs.
Date of Death: 21/04/1943
Service No: B/32665
Additional information: Son of John and Ruby Hansler, of Southampton, Ontario, Canada.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 34. G. 5.
Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 9:28PM GMT
Classification: Military
Hi champlain 9

Thank you so very much.

I have got this first part of this information this is my cousin Cecil, who was out with my father on their motorbikes(dispatch riders) when he has hit either a unexploded shell/mine, then hit the van, unfortunately the first part of that isnt on his death certificate, so for the family members that were left and with whom I have regained contact with i had to tell them,as I dont think my father told his parents just exactly how it had happened and it was a terrible thing for him to see and carry with him all his life, they both enlisted together, best pals and cousins.

The second part, you have taken a lot of responsibility off me, thank you, we are told on his death cert that he was buried somewhere in Surrey, and my next question was to try and track the grave down via the "ward graves comms", if you dont mind me asking as i feel you have a background in this do you know if his grave will be marked, how easy it would be to find, and would I be able to erect, a more suitable memorial, either way?

thanks so much for that additional information and if you can answer any of the above.

Laura

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi again

Didnt realise that Brookwood would have that amount of info on site and it is very helpful and via CWGC I have seen and recorded his actual certificate, can i ask, do you think with what we are reading that there seems to be an actual grave location, that he has an individual plot? obviously it wouldn't need a stone, and i am so glad that it is so well maintained.it kind of reminds me of Flanders. My next thing would be to try at some point to travel fron the highlands to see it and just spend time with him, as i dont think any of the family have ever made it over.

thanks again for pointing right in that direction.it is very kind

laura

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 6:21AM GMT
Laura
The plot is Plot: 34. G. 5.

Regards

Signalman Cecil Frederick Hansler

Birth: unknown
Death: Apr. 21, 1943

Note: B/32665

Burial:
Brookwood Military Cemetery
Brookwood
Surrey, England
Plot: 34. G. 5.

Created by: International Wargraves ...
Record added: Jan 24, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 17664062

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 6:30AM GMT
If you don't already have it, here's the contact info for Brookwood-
http://www.brookwoodcemetery.com/canadian-military-cemetery....

According to Find A Grave- Cecil does have a burial plot. Most graves would have a headstone unless the servicemember was missing in action. Then thier name would be engraved on the memorial.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ha...;

You can always order a copy of the service records from Collections Canada- the Canadian Archives to give you definitive information on thier service to thier country-
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056...

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 2:38PM GMT
Hi Yasco77

Thanks for that it is very reasuring to know he has an individual grave,with regards to ordering a copy from canadian archives i have found cecils record, but there seems to be various ways to order different things, and even talks of using a freelance researcher to go through there files first. or is there a more simpler way of doing this that i am overlooking.
thanks.laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic