Search for content in message boards

Carroll/Anthony/Hartness

Carroll/Anthony/Hartness

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Anthony, Hartness
Hi
I'm looking for information on my paternal grandmother, Octavia (Harness?)Anthony Carroll (her son, Jake Hayes, is my father). From what I can gather, her mother was Barbara (Barbry?)Hartness, but I can't find anything listing her as Barbara's daughter in any records.

She was married to Miles Augustus Carroll.

On the death certificate, dated Jan. 21, 1973, it also lists a "Henery Anthony" as her father, and her given name as "Octave".

I did come across a post on here that mentioned both Octavia and "Jack" were both born before Barbara married "Bill" Anthony.

I do know they lived in Notla community, and my dad was born in Cherokee county.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated, as I seem to have hit a wall at this point in my research.

Re: Carroll/Anthony/Hartness

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:25PM GMT
deeowlgrl1228

This looks like your family.

1900 Cherokee Co NC
Notla
ED 5
Pg 4A
ANTHONY Jane B 35 June 1864 NC
ANTHONY James S 10 Dec 1889 NC TN NC
ANTHONY Arthur 4 July 1895 GA TN NC
ANTHONY Noah L 2 Dec 1897 GA TN NC
HARTNESS Ectava 12 July 1887 NC NC NC

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:59PM GMT
Yes, thank you. I already have this info attached in my tree, & it says Jane was widowed when this census was taken. But I'm still confused. If my great grandmother Barbara already had Octave (Ectava) BEFORE she married Bill/Henery Anthony, then WHO was really Octave's father? And was "James " nicknamed "Jack"? Because that's what I read in another post..that Jack & Octavia were born before Barbara Hartness marries Bill Anthony, & Hartness is Barbara's maiden name. That's what's throwing me off, & I have no one from that side to ask.

Sharon

Posted: 31 Jan 2015 9:57PM GMT
Octavia maiden name was Panther, she was married to Doctor (Doc) Jabez Hartness. Doc's parents were Barbary Panther and James Marion Hartness, Doc and Octavia are buried in Oklahoma.

Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic