Search for content in message boards

Butler's from VA to OH 1831

Butler's from VA to OH 1831

sbutler (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2003 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BUTLER, BURLIN, BURLEY, DECKER
I see all you researchers that have Butler's coming from VA to Oh around the Knox and Delaware Co area. But I can't find a link with any. My LEWIS BURLIN BUTLER was born in VA Sept 10, 1808. We next find him in Knox Co., OH marrying Drusilla Decker on November 25, 1831. This couple had 8 children in Delaware, Morrow and Marion Co's before moving to Putnam Co., OH. We always suspected that the middle name BURLIN was a family or maiden name...and the closest I have found any name was to the ELIZABETH
BURLEY of Magnolia Co., VA who married Joseph Butler of Shenandoah Co., VA and they came to Coshocton Co., OH. I have corresponded with researchers of that clan and Lewis doesn't seem to fit in. I have been researching this family for over 20 years with no break. If anyone who has done research in the Knox and Delaware counties of Ohio have come across any info to help me out PLEASE let me know.

Re: Butler's from VA to OH 1831

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 5:36AM GMT
Surnames: Drusilla Butler - Samuel England
I have a Drusilla Butler who married a Samuel England in Iowa, her father was Jacob Butler. She is believed to be the aunt of Anna Crete Butler who married Henry Theodore Baldon in Iowa. Anna Crete Butler was born 1866 in Iowa and her parents were born in Ohio. It appears that Jacob Butler was born also in Ohio. Jacob Butler lived in Jefferson County Iowa. His daughter, Drusilla whom married England lived in Ringgold Iowa. Does any of this ring any bells. CS

Sherrie Butler (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 12:13PM GMT
No, it doesn't ring a bell and is most probably not from my Butlers. Thanks anyways!

Re: Butlers from VA to OH 1831

Posted: 6 Nov 2003 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: BUTLER HORNBECK OLNEY DECKER
I talked to you about Lewis Butler years ago when I tried to connect him to my ancestor, Martha Butler, wife of Nathaniel Hornbeck. Since then, I've found the following. I don't know if it's significant or not, but it appears that there could be a link. Maybe you can check into it.

In the 1830 census for OH, Delaware Cty, there is a Thomas Butler listed with the following:
2 males under 5, 1 male 10-15, 4 males 20-30 and 1 male 40-50, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 15-20 and 1 female 40-50.

I checked the IGI, and found this: Thomas Butler b: 8/10/1783 in VA. He married Rebecca Morgan. No children are listed for them. The parents of this Thomas Butler are Thomas Butler Sr. and Rebecca Daugherty. Thomas Sr. died in Wayne Co. OH in 1825. They have several children listed for them, but what caught my eye is their daughter Rachel Butler b: 1788 in VA, died 7/12/1866 in Knox Co. OH. She married Stephen Beatty. She was sister to Thomas Jr. and would possibly be aunt to Lewis? Also another daughter of Thomas Sr. was Sarah Butler who died around 1825 in Holmes Co. OH, which is adjacent to Knox.

I also found a Benjamin Butler in the 1850 census for Knox OH. He is 72yrs. born in VA. His wife is Leah, 67yrs. born in MD. They have one daughter, Hetty 30yrs. living with them. Next door is Squire J. Butler age 28. Both younger Butlers are born in OH. I went back to the 1830 census and there are 2 Benjamin Butlers in Knox. Co. OH. Benj. Sr has the following: 2 males 5-10, 1 male 15-20, 1 male 20-30, 1 male 50-60, 3 females 10-15, 1 female 20-30 and 1 female 40-50. (this is probably the Benj. in the 1850 census) The other Benjamin is Benjamin Butler Jr. He is listed as 1 male 20-30 and 1 female 15-20.

I think that either Thomas Butler or Benjamin Butler are great candidates to be father to Lewis Burlin Butler. Although there are male children in both households in 1830 that fit Lewis Burlin, only Benjamin has a female that would fit with Martha's age, as I have her birth date about 1807. She would be in the 20-30 age bracket in 1830.

Henry A. Swain (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 3:18AM GMT
Where would your Thomas Butler be from in Virginia? I have Butlers in my family tree from Virginia. Thanks.

Sherrie Butler (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Decker
I don't know where in VA my Lewis Burlin Butler came from. A previous longterm researcher thought it was Fairfax Co. but I never could find any data to confirm that, nor did I ever see her research to find out why she thought that to be true. She did research the family for over 40 years.

Henry A. Swain (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 2:35PM GMT
Thanks. I don't have that particular name in my file. I do have some Thomas Butler's, but they are all from Westmoreland or Northumberland County, closer to the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe something will come up later. Henry.

Bev Smith (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2004 4:54AM GMT
Hi. I havent been to site for awhile. Catching up on messages.
I am a descendant of Joseph and Elizabeth(Burley)
They had several children. Mary, Isaac, Martin, Daughter?, Joseph, John, Thomas, James and Benjamin(my ancestor)
Lewis might have came from one of these siblings. I can check to see if I have anything on that name.

Patt Jenks (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2004 6:19PM GMT
My g-grandfather's name was Ellis Durlin Butler, born in Fulton Co., OH. How strange is that? Only Lewis I have listed is Lewis Harlow Butler. Just the name caught my eye.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic