Search for content in message boards

Translation of attached 1810 Torslev,Hjorring birth/baptism For Christine Bertheldatter

Translation of attached 1810 Torslev,Hjorring birth/baptism For Christine Bertheldatter

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 4:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've attached the birth/baptism record and would like to make sure I interpreted it correctly. It came from 1748-1817 Torslev,Dronninglund, Hjorring Opslag 184 #7
Christine daughter of Berthel Christensen and Maren Leurisdtr <(sp?) born (not sure of date), baptised 8 April 1810 with sponsors Anders ___sen, Maren or Karen Nicolasdtr in __nanholt,Maren Christensdtr Holma___?
Christine is my ggg grandmother and I just want to make sure I have the correct record.
Attachments:

Re: Translation of attached 1810 Torslev,Hjorring birth/baptism For Christine Bertheldatter

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 6:42PM GMT
Hi Karen,

I don't speak Danish but from the record I read that Christine, daughter of Bertel Christensen and Karen Laursdatter, was baptized on 28 Feb 1810.

Sincerely,
Paul

Re: Translation of attached 1810 Torslev,Hjorring birth/baptism For Christine Bertheldatter

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:26PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 12:26PM GMT
Paul,
Thank you for the translation. I'm hoping I'm on the correct family. I'm going to have to recheck some old notes regarding Christine's parents. I had a Doret Knud listed as her mother from a Racine city record, but maybe her husband gave the wrong info when she died in 1894. And then somewhere I picked up the name Maren Laurisdatter?
Her gravestone has her birth date as 8 Apr 1810 in Torslev Sogn Hjørring Amt, Denmark. I just have to do some more reading.
Thank you again.
Karen

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:48PM GMT
Hi Karen,

She might well have been born 8 Apr 1810, but the pastor only listed the baptism date. She is the only Christine Bertelsdatter born in Tørslev around that time so she is probably your ancestor.

If we can find her confirmation records (sometime around 1824) it probably lists her date of birth. I looked through the Tørslev confirmation records, but no luck. Apparently she moved to another parish.

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:52PM GMT
One further note. The names Laursdatter, Larsdatter, Lauritzdatter, Lauritsdatter were often used interchangably in Denmark until the 19th century. When reading the birth record the mother's first name could have been Maren although I read Karen. The priest's handwriting is not the best.

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 12:54PM GMT
I took a further look at the record and it does say Maren and gives the date of birth as 8 Apr 1810.

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:43PM GMT
She moved to Sulsted,Kaer,Aalborg and she does show up on the censuses in Sulsted. She was married twice. Morton Christian Rasmussen (25 Nov 1832) and then Andreas Andersen (29 Oct 1848)Both in Sulsted.
I had a hard time deciphering the spelling on that baptism too. Some other family has gone back further, but I haven't checked on the validity of it.
Thanks for the help as it is much appreciated.
Karen (and it would be fun to know there is another Karen way back :-) )

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:44PM GMT
Hi

Christine is baptized 28 february 1810.
The mother was introduced 8 april 1810, she was not allowed
to go into the church, until 40 days after the birth.

--
Flemming Aasklint

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 7:01PM GMT
Hello Flemming,

I don't understand that The mother was introduced and not allowed to go into the church until 40 days after the birth. That sounds interesting. I would appreciate if you would explain that as I'm not familiar with the procedure.

Karen Weiss

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 7:08PM GMT
Hi again,

I've tried to find Christine's family on the census where she was born, Torslev, but was unable to read the censuses.
Some are written so you can read them and others are extrememly difficult to read.

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions