Search for content in message boards

stewart in Nova Scotia

stewart in Nova Scotia

Steven Stothers (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 1999 10:04PM GMT
Looking for descendants or additional information of (gggrandfather) Alexander Stewart,from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia Canada b.1814 Scotland, d. 1887 Richmond County, Nova Scotia. Married Annie Nicholson b.1826 Logelsh Scotland, d. 1882. Children are:

Alexander Stewart b. 1849 d.1944 married Mary Jane Mckenzie ( from West Bay) August 2, 1886.
Landrie Stewart(or Lauchlin) b.1858
Daniel Stewart b.1854 d.1917
Charles Stewart b.1856
John Stewart b.1843
Ellen Stewart b.1846
Catherine Stewart b.1841
Christie Stewart b.1851
Annie Stewart b.1816 (widow-sister of Alexander?)

My great grandfather, Alexander moved to Halifax after he was married.
I have the the information from the 1871 Census of Richmond County regarding Stewarts, and the Oban cemetary information from Richmond County as well.
thanks!
Steven Stothers

stothers@escape.ca
www.escape.ca/~stothers

Alexander Stewart

Linda Connolly (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2000 9:48PM GMT
Hello Steven:

There has got to be some connection in our family. I had originally been in touch with some gal that does genealogy research in Cape Breton, at the University. She told me there were no or not much for Stewarts in Cape Breton.
My line goes
Duncan or Dugald Stewart, born either Cape Breton or Scotland 1836,
he married in 1858
Annie McLean born 1836 in Nova Scotia.
One of their sons,
Alexander Stewart Born 1851 Cape Breton, and died 06 Dec 1927 St. John New Brunswick.

Alexander was married twice. His second wife was Mary Wallace. On their marriage papers Alexander is listed as a widower. On the list of Alexanders children the first one Ida we have no birth date on, the second one Phoebe was born July 1891. Mary and Alexander married in

Alexander Stewart, continued

Posted: 31 Jan 2000 10:14PM GMT
Sorry, I hit the darn submit button accidently Lets try this again.

Hello Steven:

There has got to be some connection in our family. I had originally been in touch with some gal that does genealogy research in Cape Breton, at the University. She told me there were no or not much for Stewarts in Cape Breton.

My line goes like this-

Duncan or Dugald STEWART, born either Cape Breton or Scotland 1836,
he married in 1858
Annie MCLEAN born 1836 in Nova Scotia.
their son, (AND THE ONLY ONE I KNOW ABOUT)
Alexander STEWART Born 1851 Cape Breton, and died 06 Dec 1927 St. John New Brunswick.

Alexander was married twice.
His second wife was MARY WALLACE, daughter of Edward WALLACE and Annie SMITH.

On their marriage papers Alexander is listed as a 'WIDOWER and Mary as a SPINSTER.
On the list of Alexanders children the first one, IDA we have no birth date on,
and the second one PHOEBE was born July 1891.
Mary and Alexander married in AUG 1891.

Now either Mary gave birth to Phoebe and then they got married or Ida and Phoebe were both from his first marriage.

The first child born after Alexander and Mary were married was Maurice, then Wallace, J Ernest who died at age 2, Frances B who died at age 5, then my grandfather Joseph Herbert born 24 Aug 1903.
Herbert married Ameilia Mary LECLERC/LECLAIR
in New Brunswick.

I do not know how much information you have on your Stewart line, but could you take a look and see if somewhere along the way, my family of Stewarts and yours happen to connect or cross paths. We have nothing to loose by trying.
Thanks, Linda

stewart in Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island

Steven Stothers (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2000 3:04PM GMT
Hello Linda:
Thanks for your message. I too assumed their would be information on stewart on Cape Breton Island, but it has been hard to come by. Our dates don't quite line up, but their could still be a connection. I will be in Cape Breton in May doing some research, and hope to go to the archives as well as visit some places. I will share any information I find.
I also found in a date book from my granfathers sister some stewart names as follows:
Archibald R. Stewart 67 ocean st, dorchester center, mass
Wm. A. Stewart 26053 Dundee Rd, Huntington woods, Michigan
Jack A. Stewart 1509 north shore rd, revere, mass
Jim Stewart 164 School Rd, Watertown Mass
Annie Stewart 29 west 39th ave Vancouver Bc
Hector Stewart 6505 main st vancouver bc
Dan Stewart 1996 w 41 st, vancouver bc
Maybe some one else out there will recognize these names and address's from the 1950's/60's
steven

Stewarts in Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island

Posted: 3 Feb 2000 11:18PM GMT
Hi Steven:

Glad to hear from you so soon. I am leaving B.C. likely the first week of April to drive back to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and I too plan on invading the archives in Cape Breton. I plan to be there for about two months, so if we exchange personal email addresses, I can keep you posted and maybe we can meet for coffee there. I will just have to know when for sure you are going to be there and I will arrange my schedule around it. Aren't I lucky, I am married to the best guy ever, and he bought me an older camperized van and said "go for it" I will be spending the two months meeting some family and going through all the archives and cemeteries that I can find. An 'All' genealogy trip. I made it as far as Thunder Bay Ontario last year and the motor went out of the car. No one will ever convince me that they did not do something wrong when they changed the oil in it that morning, and by that night the motor was hooped. So, the oil will be changed in the Van just before I leave and drove for a couple of days, and then no one gets under the hood until I reach Nova Scotia. At least if they mess up another oil change, I will not be 150 miles out from the nearest town center. Just about froze before the tow truck could get there. I will be bringing all my family tree stuff with me so we can likely do some serious cross referencing, and yes, out of all those names, you would think that one of them would have to connect somewhere. Too bad that the parents of those generations didn't tell their kids more eh! Happy tree climbing and we will have to keep in touch.
Linda -connolly@cnetdirect.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions