Search for content in message boards

Fred Gibson of MO

Fred Gibson of MO

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 6:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2002 10:45AM GMT
Surnames: gibson
Trying to locate any info on Fred Gibson who lived in Centralia, MO. He came to MO on orphan train.

Re: Fred Gibson of MO

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 9:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Fred Gibson was the youngest brother of my grandmother, Louise Gibson, whose married name was Louise Stahl. There were six children in the family, but I know the names of only five. In birth order they were Alexander, Billy, Louise, Bertha, Fred. The sixth was a girl, who may have been older than Louise. The family story was that she ran off with an heir to the Borden milk company, but I don't know when, or even if the story is true. The parents were Peter and Louise. Louise's maiden name was Welker. Both Peter and Louise were born in the U.S., and are listed in the 1880 census, ages 19 and 18, respectively, living in New York City. Peter's parents were born in Ireland, and Louise's in Prussia. Alexander became a trapeze artist and died in a fall at the St. Louis Exposition in 1904. By that time the younger children, Louise, Bertha, and Fred were in orphanages in Brooklyn. Louise remembered him visiting her with presents and carrying her around on his shoulders. You can find Louise, Bertha, and Fred, the girls in one place and Fred in another, in the 1900 census. Louise, the mother, was by that time hospitalized, for tuberculosis I suspect, and remained so until she died sometime in the 1920s. My mother, Evelyn, remembered going to visit her in the hospital when she was still a little girl. I don't know what happened to Peter, why the family fell on hard times, but he was said to have a drinking problem. Alexander to my knowledge never married; he was very young when he died. Billy and his wife Beatrice had two sons, James and Billy. I don't know when the elder Billy and his wife died, but it was quite awhile ago. The son Billy is still alive I believe, and lives on Long Island in New York. Louise and her husband, Ernest Stahl, had four children, Howard, Ernie, Evelyn, and Augie. Ernest died in 1949 and Louise in 1980. Evelyn and Augie are still alive, but my mother suffers from a severe case of dementia. Augie, though 80, is as sharp as a tack. He also lives on Long Isladn. Bertha and her husband, Jack Levy, had one son, who died in childhood. They both died in 1974. I presume you know much more about Fred's family than I do. Louise kept in touch with him by letter, spoke of him often to me when I was a boy, and visited him a few times in Missouri. In 1962 my brother and I were driving cross country and we stopped by to see Uncle Fred. He and his wife were very kind to us; I'm sorry to say I no longer remember her name. Was it Janine? We wound up staying a couple of nights with Roy and Virginia, who were also very kind to us. If I can be of any more help to you, please let me know.

with all best wishes, Lincoln Faller
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions