Search for content in message boards

Looking For Family Surname: Neftelberger

Looking For Family Surname: Neftelberger

Posted: 20 Aug 2001 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2002 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Neftelberger, O'Brien
My great grandfather came from Austria or Germany. We know that they were from Jewish Faith and arrived in United States in the 1800's. Harold Neftelberger lived in New York City. Other Names: Joseph Neftelberger. The 4 youngest neftelberger's were raised by the O'Brien's. Any information regarding the Neftelberg Family Tree would be great.

Re: Looking For Family Surname: Neftelberger

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Neftelberger, O'Brien, Moll
More information on Neftelberger name. Joseph Neftelberger married ? Collins. Joseph Neftelberger was a Banjo Maker - Instrument. New York City area. Married out side of his faith - Not of Jewish faith, she passed away and the children were ofphans. Joseph, Raymond, Charlie, Walter and William (there were a couple of girls) where raised by Lillian Moll O'Brien. Joseph left the children with Lillian Moll O'Brien to return to his family the Neftelberger's. I am very interested in bridging the gap and can not locate any Neftelberger's here in the United States. Any information or leads will be helpful.

Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2002 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Neftleberg
Hi My name is Dorothy R Neftleberg. I'm the daughter of William J Neftleberg Sr. and he is the son of Raymond Neftleberg Sr. I'm not really sure of before that, but I was always told that I was German and my last name was Jewish. I hope that helps you in any way, if you find out anything else on our name please write back...afterall I think we're family!

TracieLyn Rydzewski (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2002 2:36AM GMT
Dorothy,

I've been in contact with one of your family members about 2 weeks ago. yes, we are related. Please email at my home email address. I will be changing it in March..(changing services). My grandfather is Gerald O'Brien, Son of Joseph O'Brien (Neftelberger) and Grandson to Joseph Neftelberger. Would love to create family tree.

Posted: 11 Jun 2002 8:22PM GMT
My mother's father was originally named Walter Alexander Neftelberger, which he changed to Walter O'Brien. My mother was born Edith J. O'Brien on 6/16/22. She lived (still does, in the same house as her parents) in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and remembers that Walter had brothers named Arthur, Charles and William and a sister named Frances.

Charles T Neftelberg (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2005 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Neftelberger
I was told the er was dropped off the end of my name. Im the son of Charles Frances Neftelberg.

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 10:45PM GMT
The er was dropped & most twisted the el to le. This all stated in Bavaria Germany.

Posted: 28 Apr 2006 12:07AM GMT
Hi,

just reading this and I wonder .... if this is supposed to be a specifically Jewish name, and this can be proven, I'm probably wrong.

However, would I hazard a guess, I would say this name way back may have been the German name Nestelberger instead.

Neftelberger, shown by the ...berger ending actually sounds like a German name. The Austrian phone directory for instance doesn't have a single entry for Neftelberger, but has lots of Nestelberger. Personally I've never heard of a Neftelberger, but of Nestelbergers.

How may this have happened? In old German script there's a 'long s' which is written and sometimes looks nearly like an f. I would guess that maybe in the past people started reading the (long) s as an f and made the name spell Neftelberger ....

But of course, this all may be totally wrong as well ...

Just an idea.

Tilman

Posted: 28 Apr 2006 8:29AM GMT
Hi,

on second thought - couldn't Neftelberger possibly contain the common Jewish name Naftali ? With a German element added, which wasn't uncommon, AFAIK.

I've read somewhere that when surnames for Jews were made compulsory, in some areas one aim was to make them look and sound like German names.

But beware, this is guesswork only. Some of the Neftelbergers may already know the true origins and meaning of their name.

Tilman

Tracie Rydzewski (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2006 6:58PM GMT
Tilman,

Thank you very much for your insight. Most of the O'Brien's, and Neftelberg's. Still don't know or understand what happened many years ago and why the O'Brien's raised the Neftelberger Children. I can trace back to Nathan and Bertha Neftelberger which is Joseph Neftelberger's parents. Joseph married outside of the jewish faith and his wife died and the children where raised by O'Briens (Friend, Neighbors, Family..not sure no one knows). 8 children were split between 2 o'brien families. My g-grandfather changed his name from Joseph Neftelberger to Joseph O'Brien and Walter Neftelberger changed his name to Walter O'Brien. All other children changed to Neftelberg.
My generation of the family is all in wonder over the history of our family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions