Search for content in message boards

DNA results for Native Americans/Mexicans, question

DNA results for Native Americans/Mexicans, question

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 8:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm Mexican on my maternal side, and was curious how much Native American blood and Spanish blood I'd have in me.

Results I'm curious about:
East Asian: 17%
South Asian: 10%
Native North American: 8%
Southern Europe: 7%
Native South American: 6%

Do Native Americans ever/often come up with Asian results, (since they migrated from Asia)?

I'm not sure where the Native South American comes from. Do many Mexicans come up with this?

I know very little about all this, and I know to take it with a "grain of salt" so to speak.

Re: DNA results for Native Americans/Mexicans, question

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 8:54AM GMT
I'm also curious if many Latinos ever come up with Middle Eastern results, since the Moors were in Spain for so long.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:52AM GMT
If Ancestry is using the Human Genome Diversity Panel (HGDP) for their reference populations, there are only four Native American groups, Pima and Maya for North America and Colombia and Karitiana/Surui for South America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Genome_Diversity_Project

But all Native Americans descend from a relatively small number of ancestors and retain many similarities with each other, so those tribes can serve as a proxy for Native American ancestry in general, even for tribes from the eastern US/Canada. I'd lump your East Asian component in the same category.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 1:58PM GMT
Yes, many Hispanic people have "Middle Eastern" results, both from Arab/North African and Jewish ancestry in Spain. Many converted to Christianity--sometimes by force. Some Hispanic people also have typical Middle Eastern haplogroups in Y-DNA or mtDNA tests.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:54PM GMT
I didn't get Asian results, but I have Native South American.

I'm 1/2 Mexican on my paternal side. The verbal history that was passed down through the generations is that my dad is Mexican, Spanish and Aztec.

My DNA says:
27% British Isles (maternal probably)
25% Scandinavian (maternal probably)
23% Southern European
13% Native North American
6% Native South American
6% Uncertain

I also see my assumption of maternal vs paternal is a little wonky because the score is 52% vs 48%.

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 4:38PM GMT
My wife has Mexican blood, brought by the spanish to new mexico. She found that a lot of her spanish ancestry was through conversos (jews that converted to catholicism during the inquisition so they wouldn't be killed). Apparently, they had originally came from the middle east and near east regions of asia and settled in Spain. Quite a few left to inhabit the Canary Islands and then the Americas with the conquistadors. This might explain any strange middle eastern results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic