Search for content in message boards

Hannah Townsend and Barnabas Carver

Hannah Townsend and Barnabas Carver

Posted: 29 Aug 2001 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole Townsend Carver
Does anyone have any original source for the information that General James Townsend and his wife Priscilla Cole had a daughter named Hannah Townsend who married Barnabas Carver in Carmel NY. I have seen this information in Wright's "Descendants of Elisha Cole" and other Cole genealogies, but no one has ever said where they got the information from. If you have any information, please contact me.

Re: Hannah Townsend and Barnabas Carver

Posted: 29 Jul 2003 3:35AM GMT
I don't have an original source, but I can refer you to Pelletreau's "History of Putnam County", a generally reliable secondary source. In a footnote on page 358 he states that:

"Hosea Barnabas Carver (son of Timothy the second) married Hannah, daughter of James Townsend, and had children: James M., Frederick, and Stephen W., who is now living in the town of Carmel".

It seems that some researchers have confused Hosea Barnabas Carver (sometimes referred to as simply Barnabas) with his uncle Judge Barnabas Carver (1761-1831), who married Sarah Cole (1763-1851); these researchers list Hannah Townsend as the 2nd wife of Judge Carver, when in reality she was the wife of Judge Carver's nephew, Hosea Barnabas Carver.

Re: Hannah Townsend and Barnabas Carver (and Stephen W.)

Roberta Cole Lader (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2003 6:53PM GMT
Thanks, Michael. There is another notation, in Bowman's book on the Carver family, that a Ms. Emma Foster, in a handwritten note on the Gilead Cemetery burial register, states that Hannah Townsend was the wife of (Hosea) Barnabas Carver. She was a resident of the Town of Carmel, and, supposedly, old enough to have knowledge of these families. So, it would appear that there are at least two sources for this information.

I am sending to the Town of Carmel for a death certificate for Stephen W. Carver, my great-great grandfather, b. 1818, if one exists. I do not have a death date for him, but he was alive in 1886 and not on the 1900 census. Hopefully, his death will be recorded, and, perhaps, his parentage. He had a large number of children, but, relatively few descendants, so I don't know if any one else may have a death date for him, but, if anyone does, I'd be grateful for the knowledge! Two of his daughters are my great-grandmothers (my grandparents were first cousins).

I've contacted quite a few people who have confused Judge Barnabas Carver who married Sarah Cole with Timothy Carver's son Hosea Barnabas who married Hannah Townsend and Polly Pierce. Hopefully, the confusion will be straightened out in future family trees.

Thanks again--I really appreciate the response.

Posted: 30 Jul 2003 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Carver, Townsend
You mention Emma Foster. Are you familiar with the "Foster-Livingston Collection"? Seems like an expansion, beyond the Gilead Cemetery Register, to many cemeteries in Putnam county. The annotated graveyard registers for Putnam county were prepared by Emma Foster and Julia Livingston and have a fair amount of useful genealogical information. They were published in "Early Settlers of New York" in the late 1930s, which is available on-line on "Genealogy.Com".

Roberta Cole Lader (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2003 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: Carver, Townsend, Organ, Wright, Barrett
Thank you! I noted that the Bowman book quote referred to "Early Settlers of New York," but didn't get the connection nor realize that it is available on genealogy.com. That's good to know, as I'm researching other Carmel area families as well--Townsends, Organs, Wrights, Haddens and Barretts particularly.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not related directly to the Kelley family, only distantly by marriage.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 4:57AM GMT
My Dad's Great Uncle Walter Townsend's mother was Mary (Carver) Townsend whose father was Stephen Carver. Any info you have would be appreciated!!!! Trying to find out the name of Mary (Carver) Townsend's husband. Can;t find it on any of the Census records though.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions