Search for content in message boards

Is this Providence Presbyterian in NC or Waxhaw Presbyterian in SC?

Is this Providence Presbyterian in NC or Waxhaw Presbyterian in SC?

Linda McKee (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2005 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2007 6:56AM GMT
Surnames: McKee
I initially thought that the below listed transactions were what became Providence Presbyterian in Mecklenburg Co NC but now wonder if it is actually what became Waxhaw Presbyterian Church. Does anyone know?

ANSON COUNTY,
NORTH CAROLINA

Deed Abstracts, 1749-1766
Abstracts of Wills and Estates, 1749-1795

By
Brent H. Holcomb, C.A.L.S.
ANSON COUNTY,
NORTH CAROLINA

Deed Abstracts, 1749-1766
Abstracts of Wills and Estates, 1749-1795

By
Brent H. Holcomb, C.A.L.S.

Volume 5

(Page 84)
Pp, 121-124: 9 March 1758, ROBT MILLER & wf JEAN of Anson, to ROBERT DAVIS, ROBERT RAMSEY, JOHN LINN, SAMUEL DUNLAP & HENRY WHITE, planter, of same “for the good will & affection.....& every of their greater advantages & conveniency in attending upon divine worship at all stated or occasional times”.......land on N side CATAWBA within land joining WM MCKEE near ALEXANDER NISBITT & on the south end of said tract......sold unto JAMES BARNETT by sd MILLER excepting this tract.......”beginning at a stake upon said South Side of an house built for divine service including a spring”........to above as trustees for the use of the Presbyterian Congregation of the WAXHAWS......only for divine service conform to the practice of the Church of Scotland.....MR. ROBERT MILLER & JEAN his wife reserve for themselves one seat within the North door of said house.........ROBERT MILLER (SEAL), JEAN MILLER (SEAL), Wit: ROBERT MCCLENACHAN, JNO. CROCKETT, ANDREW PICKENS.

Pp. 125-127: 22 & 23 FEB 1758, ROBERT MILLER & wife JANE of Anson, to JAMES BARNETT, planter, (lease s30, release 14 pounds) ....... land on North side CATAWBA, adj WM MCKEE, ALEXANDER NISBET.....except for 4 1/2 A on south end of sd. tract with a house for divine worship & retiring house.......ROBERT MILLER (SEAL), JEAN MILLER (SEAL), Wit: ROBT. MCCLENACHAN, JOHN KENNADA.

Pp. 136-138: 27 & 28 MARCH 1757, JOHN BARNETT & wf ANN, to MR. ROBERT MILLER, Minr. of the Waxhaws (lease s5, release 10 pounds proc. money).....land on North side CATAWBA, adj. WM. MCKEE, ALEX. NISBET, including an old cabbin.......JOHN BARNETT (SEAL), ANN BARNETT (SEAL), Wit: ALEX. OSBORN, ROBERT MCCLENACHAN, ANDW. PERKINS.

Re: Is this Providence Presbyterian in NC or Waxhaw Presbyterian in SC?

Posted: 4 Sep 2005 4:06AM GMT
Providence Presbyterian in Mecklenburg Co, NC wasn't organized until 1767, so it would appear that this church referred to in the deed was the other one.

Also, from the book: "The Waxhaws" by Louise Pettus, she states that the first minister of the Waxhaw Church (in SC) was Robert Miller. She also referenced the 9 March 1758 deed you mentioned in your posting.

lindaamckee@alltel.net (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2005 10:03PM GMT
Julie, Thanks for your reply.

Do you know where the church is located in South Carolina? Would it be in York Co?

I am wondering if records from back then would also be located in SC verus Anson Co NC as the deed data that I posted was in Anson Deed Abstracts for 1749-1766.

A John McKee is also listed as being the first burial at Providence. Apparently the McKee were far more numerous than I had previously discovered.

Do you have Ms. Pettus book? Do you know if it is available online?

Again, I really appreciate your reply. Linda McKee

Posted: 7 Sep 2005 2:41AM GMT
Old Waxhaw Presbyterian Church is located in Lancaster Co, SC. The boundary lines were not "set in stone" back then, so it was common for upper SC land to be recorded in NC and vice versa. That's why there is such a dispute over whether Pres. Andrew Jackson was born in NC or SC, because he was born in the "gray" area where the boundaries were not clear.

Here's some info on the church and early land deeds:
http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/1997/waxhaw97.html

I've been there, but it's been years so I can't remember the names of the roads, but here's directions from someone else: "We left Lancaster on U.S. 521, headed north and took a left at West North Corner Road (between the Amoco station and a car lot; if you get to Andrew Jackson State Park, you've gone too far). At the dead end, we took a left onto Old Hickory Road. Not far down on the left we saw the church and cemetery."

I have a book about Providence Presbyterian Church in Mecklenburg Co, NC and it does list the first burial as John McKee d. May 17, 1764. His wife Peggy d.Sept 15, 1795.

Louis Pettus' book is entitled The Waxhaws, and it was privately published in 1993. I don't know if there are copies still available. I could not locate any used ones online just now. This is the last email address that I have for her: lpettus@cetlink.net
If that email address does not work, then you may want to post a message on the Lancaster Co, SC board. I'm sure someone there knows how to get in touch with her as she's a very well known historian of the area.

Linda McKee (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2005 2:46PM GMT
Julie, Thank you so much for this information. I appreciate your help. Did your book have any other McKee data that you could share? Linda McKee

Posted: 10 Sep 2005 8:17PM GMT
The index to the Providence Presbyterian Church book lists about 21 references to McKee's, plus about 14 listings in the cemetery portion. Anyone in particular you're looking for?

Linda McKee (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2005 12:41AM GMT
Dear Julie,

That's what I'm atttempting to discover! I have all the common given names - John, William, James, Henry, David, Samuel, Thomas, Joseph McKee - plus the name of Ambrose McKee for certain in my husband's ancestors.

John McKee was a son of Ambrose of Mecklenburg who was the son of John of Mecklenburg (possibility this is the John who is the first burial at Providence) .

John is also father of Ambrose who went to Rutherford Co TN ca 1801.

Thanks again for any help or advice. Linda McKee

Posted: 11 Sep 2005 3:18AM GMT
There's not an Ambrose McKee listed in the index or cemetery listing and I don't see anything stating who the parents or children of John McKee (d.1764) were. Sorry.

McKee

Linda McKee (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2005 11:55AM GMT
Julie, Thanks so much for your help. Your replies have meant much and have inspired me again. Linda McKee
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions