Search for content in message boards

COLE Family in Indiana

COLE Family in Indiana

Posted: 30 Aug 2001 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any history on the Cole Family in Dearborn, Switzerland, and Ohio Counties in Indiana? My gggggrandfather Daniel Cole, born about 1779, is listed on the Dearborn County census in 1840. He was married possibly 3 times in Switzerland County, and he is buried in the New Hope Cemetery in Ohio County. He was married to Catharine Mckinstray in 1829. They had at least one child, Sarah Catharine Cole,who married Joseph Brush in Ohio County. I beleive that Daniel was also married to Clarissa Taylor in 1820 and Elizabeth Stepelton in 1826, both mariages also in Switzerland County. There are other COLES also buried in New Hope Cemetery not far from Daniel. I suspect a relationship. They are Daniel W. Cole 1855-1940, Bertha Z. Cole 1859-1899, and Robert M. Cole 1883- 1904. Can anyone help me with this?
Kimberly Fuentes

Re: COLE Family in Switzerland

Posted: 1 Oct 2001 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: BAILEY, COLE, NICHOLS, TILLAPAUGH-DILLENBACH-TILLEBACK, PALMER, POST, STOREY, WOLFE,
Sylvanus COLE of NY married Elizabeth TILLAPAUGH (Dillenbach) b. 1797, Minden, NY d. 1858 supposedly moved later to Granby Center Cem outside Fulton. Would like to locate this cem and more info on Sylvanus b. <1767> d. 22 Nov 1814, Brownsville (now Watertown), Jefferson, NY.

He died before his only son Nelson Washington COLE was born 22 Nov 1814. His first wife, Caroline Cheney BAILEY's, children were located in NY, Watertown, Mottville, Minetto, Oswego, Fulton, Hannibal. Mrs. Harriet N. POST, 2d wife (My ancestor) had six children.
~Esther C., 1868, Minetto, Oswego, NY d. Mrs. Phineas WOLFE 1920 Grand Isl, NE
~Cora Ann, 1858, Minetto d. Mrs. Charles E. PALMER, 1943 Madison, WI
**This is my Great Grandmother
~Samuel Post b. 1860, Minetto d. 1944 Mt. View, Howell, MO
~Adelaide H b. 1864, Minetto d. Mrs. Lewis A. STOREY, 1951 Seattle, WA
~Lois E b. 1875, Johnstown, WI d. Mrs. Charles NICHOLS 1958, Santa Monica, CA
~Orville J b. 1878 Johnstown, WI d. 1950, Seattle WA bur. Brookings, SD

Elizabeth was the first of her family to change spelling of Dillenbach to Tillapaugh. Her father Baltus M. DILLENBACH (aka: Balhazar Tilleback) b. 1763, south side of Mohawk near Conajoharie, NY. His father, Martinus, Jr. (asa: Marte DILLENBAG) was first native born 1729, Stone Arabia, NY. His father, Jorg Martin DALLENBACH b. abt. 1690, Lauperswil, Switzerland. His Great Grandfather is the first we have of Niclaus WALTI (Nicholas DALLENBACH Line) whose ancesters also born in Dauperswil, Ruderswil, Bern, Swit.

Posted: 27 Oct 2003 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Tillapaugh, Dillenbach

My name is Bruce Hogston. I am a descendant of Elizabeth (Betsey) Tillapaugh and her second husban Isaac Abbott. Are you descended from Nelson Cole?

Have you any information on Isaac or any of her family after that marriage? I have the list of their children if you would like it. I have their descendants with who they married, but I do not have any dates or records. I also do not know where Isaac came from.

Any information you have on the Dillenbachs that you could send me would also be helpful. Do you have the documents to back up your information? I appreciate anything you may be able to help me with. Thanks.

My email is hognet@earthlink.net

Bruce

Re: COLE Family in Indiana

Cyndie Brasher (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2005 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Mallory
Ezekiel Cole m. Elizabeth Bascom July 16, 1842, Switzerland Co., Jefferson Twp, IN. 1850 Census Ezekiel 25, Eliz. 22 and Catherine 1, daughter.

1860 Census, Starke Co., IN Ezekiel 35, eliz 35, Catherine 12, Charlotte 2, Ezra 5, Jacob 10, Martha 1. Charlotte is my gg-grandmother. Any connection to your Cole's?

Thanks.

Deanna Castillo-Cornell (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2005 1:59AM GMT
Hi Kimberly,
A good friend of mine (John Clark) sent me your way. I am also researching the Cole family. I am looking for the parents of Chester Cole. Chester was born in 1880 in Kansas. His parents I know were from Indiana. Chester was married to a woman named Edith Hendricks. They both moved to Denver Colorado where my grandfather Roy Cole was born in 1907.
Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Deanna

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: COLE, Tillapaugh, Dillenback, Blote
Dear Bruce,

YES, descendant of Nelson Washington COLE and Betsy TILLAPAUGH (Dillenback) of New York and later of Wisconsin.

Just saw the board a few minutes ago, I'm sorry I never saw your posting.

Would love to stay in touch, compare notes, etc.

Beth Blote
blotebeth@earthlink.net
PST, Oregon, USA

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 4:52PM GMT
I have just gotten involved in the tangled mess of Cole's in Switzerland Co for a friend.
This is what we know:
William D. Cole born 1928 in ,Champaign,IL died 2006 in Hanover,IN married Lorine Callahan in Indiana.
He was the son of William McKinley Cole born 1896 in INdiana died at Madison,Jefferson,IN 1957. Married Nellie Chew we think in IL have not found a marriage there for them though.
He was the son of William D. Cole born 1854 in Indiana died in Indiana 1900/1910 On the 1900 census but not on the 1910. He married Luella Bell Campbell 1875 in Switzerland Co, Indiana.
He was the son of Benjamin Cole born 1831 in Indiana and Sarah S Pitman Cole they married 1852 in Switzerland Co Indiana. Someone has posted that this Benjamin died in the Battle of Ferryville 10/10 1862. Where did this battle take place? What state and records of this battle?

The questions are: in the 1870 Census can found no trace of William D Cole born 1854 his father died in 1862. William had a younger brother named Milas born 1856 I have tried to search for him nothing, tried looking to see if Sarah married after 1862 in Indana again nothing. I did find him William married in the 1880 Census in Switzerland CO IN. Also can not find date of death for him he was on the 1900 census but not on the 1910.

How does our William D Cole connect with Benjamin Cole born 1831 died 1862 to Joseph Cole born 1792 in Pa died after 1871 who married Mary "Polly" Cole born 1795 in PA also died after 1871. We think that Cornelius Cole was the father of Joseph born 1792 and that Cornelius was born in PA also.
Is there someone that can help us make the right connections and lead us to find the records of such events?
I saw on an earlier post by MJ Madigan that Joseph JR left a will naming Benjamin where might we find a copy of this will?
I realize that this is long but wanted to throw as much out the we think we know. We just hope that someone takes the time to read and respond with favorable information. Thanks Carol and Rose

Posted: 13 Apr 2010 1:47AM GMT
I am a decendant of the Cole family from Indiana. My grandfather Cornelius C. Cole was born January 23, 1878 in Pleasant, Switzerland County. His father was Lewis Cole, born 1838 in the same place. My grandfather Cornelius later moved to Kanabec County Minnesota. He married Rose Arnett about 1927. I am looking for information about my Aunts and Uncle. My father is Robert Cornelius Cole, born April 25, 1928. He had a sister named Margaret Ione born 12/15/1937 and Charlotte born 01/31/1926. He also had a sister named Doris and a brother named John Lewis, neither of who can I find any information for. They were both born between 1930 and 1935. I am starting a family tree named Joanne Cole's family tree, if that may help anyone.

If anyone has any information please email me at jonespett@comcast.net

Thanks
Joanne Cole

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: Dillenbach, Dallenback, Tillapaugh
Note: this branch is referring to the Country of Switzerland where the wife's family originated, Dallanbachs, Dillenbachs, Tillapaugh's...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions