Search for content in message boards

George B. Marguerite Stacy

George B. Marguerite Stacy

Posted: 15 Dec 2000 1:33AM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2001 4:31AM GMT
I'm looking for information re my great-grandparents George Marguerite Stacy of Montreal, Canada. My granddad is George Blair Stacy b: Montreal, Canada 1865 and moved to Boston m: Annie Laura McLean (b 1862, Rockport, MA) and had 2 children: Stillman George b: 1890 and Frances M(arguerite?) b: 1889 d: 1904. Any info will be appreciated very much--perhaps our Family Tree will connect!

Re: George B. Marguerite Stacy

Kerry Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Pat. I sent a message to you several months ago but didn't hear back from you.My previous message remarked on the coincidences between your George and mine.Both were named George and both were in Montreal at the same time. I live in Salt Lake and have access to a lot of records. There were only a handful of Stacy's in Montreal in the mid 1800's. Two were named George. One was A George W. Stacy from England and the other was George J. (Jr.?) Stacy-my ancestor. His second wife was Marguerite, a French Canadian b. In Quebec and they had a son George who was 14 in the 1881 census.George had a son by his first wife named Stillman but he died as a young boy.This is a very unusual name but appears in your family as well .Either this is your family too or you are looking at the wrong Stacy family.I would be glad to help you with what I have, including pictures of the graves in Mount Royal Cemetery, census records, burial and baptismal records etc.I have a strong feeling that you are looking at my Stacy family.However my Stacy family came from Vermont and go back to the early Massachusetts Bay colony. How definite are you about your Stacy's coming from England to Montreal? Could you be mistaken? I would love to solve this mystery. Hope to hear from you......Kerry Montgomery

Pat Stacye-Garoutte (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2002 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Stacy, etc.
I have nothing concrete as far as knowing where George B (Booth?) Stacy came from -- only summation of a few records, etc. that I have ran accross. I would love to work with you and any help will be greatfully appreciated. Thank you so much!...Pat Stacye

Kerry Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2002 1:41AM GMT
Pat: Thanks for your reply.Here's what I can tell you about my Stacy family.I will arbitrarily start with John Stacy and bring it to the present with special emphasis on the Montreal connection. John Stacy was born in 1760 in Hopkinton Mass. and served 6 years in the Revolutionary War, part of this time as a bodygaurd to Gen. Washington.In 1797 he removed with his family to Orange Vermont where he was Town Clerk, representative to the Vermont Legislature and was Justice of the Peace for 28 years. He died in Burlington, Vt. in 1847.One of his sons was Henry B.(Baldwin) Stacy. He founded the Burlington Free Press and was appointed ambassador to Russia by Pres. Lincoln. Another son (my ancestor) was George Stacy( don't know if he had a middle initial B. as well). George was born in Windsor Vt. in 1795.Around 1819-20 he married Mary Hutchinson and they had a son George Jr. By 1825 this family was in Montreal( George Jr. had a sister as well. In Montreal George Sr. became a prosperous nail manufacturer and his wife had another daughter, Emmeline, in 1839.Mary then died in 1840. George Jr. at some time went back to Vermont where he probably learned the printing trade at his Uncle Henry's newspaper. He married Sarah Melvena Allen in 1843 and they had 5 children-Stillman, Henry, Ethan Allen (my ancestor), Charles and Imogene.Stillman and Henry died before the age of 10. Their mother Sarah died in 1859 and is buried in Burlington Vt. beside her 2 children. The 3 remaining children were taken in by their Father's Uncle Henry who had sold the newspaper and was a gentleman farmer just north of Burlington. George Jr. stayed in town as the town printer. When Henry B. was appointed to Russia in 1862 George Jr. took his 3 children to Montreal where he took over his father's manufacturing business.By this time they employed 80 men and produced rolled steel as well. George Sr. died in 1864 and is buried in Montreal.George Jr. remarried a Marguerite who was a French-Canadian protestant and they had children, among them a 3rd. George. George Jr. died in 1897 and is buried in Montreal. His son Charles took over the business and eventually it joined with other firms to become the giant Steel Company Of Canada (STELCO ).My ancestor Ethan Allen Stacy married Mary Wells and had a son Henry, my grandfather. Can you identify with any of this? As I said there were only 2 George Stacy families in Montreal at the time. The other was George Washington Stacy, born in England. The name Stillman is in my family as is Marguerite.I have documentation for all of the above and if this is your family would be happy to share it with you. Best wishes...Kerry Montgomery. email-mnty8@cs.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions