Search for content in message boards

Amos "Bad Amos" Fugate

Amos "Bad Amos" Fugate

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 7:24PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2005 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: Fugate
Hi,

I was just told by a relative that I am connected to Amos "Bad Amos" Fugate. I saw that Kentucky Explorer did an article about him in Nov. 1998. Does anybody know anything about this mans family, dates, ect.? Also looking for a Green Fugate in KY who was found hung possibly in the 1920's or 1930's. Green was about 18-20 when he died. His parents were possibly Shade and Rebecca Fugate. Noone knows who hanged him. Just wondering about this story. Please email at panda1819@aol.com if you have any info on these people.

Re: Amos "Bad Amos" Fugate

misty fugate (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2003 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather was bill fugate green fugates brother. I have heard many stories about who did it and why. My grandfather died when my mother was 5 but i know that he search most of his remaining years for who did it. Shade Fugate and Rebecca were in fact his parents.

Andrea (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2003 5:30AM GMT
I didn't know anything about Amos until I started to do the family tree. My grandmother was Bill and Green's sister but I dont ever remember her saying anything about Amos.

misty fugate waugh (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2003 5:04PM GMT
i never knew my grandfathers family he died when my mother was 5. If his sister was your grandmother i guess we are kin but i don't really rmember any mention of her what was her name.

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 1:39AM GMT
Amos was my grandmothers first cousin. Rachel Fugate and
she was married to Sid Fugate. Amos had one daughter and
her name was Isabel and her mother was modie but I don't
know what modies last name was.

Posted: 27 Mar 2010 1:17AM GMT
Hi,

I read your story about Green Fugate. My grandfather Clarence Fugett was murdered at the same time 1922. We have no idea who murdered him. He lived in New Virginia, KY and was shot by a man on a horse that approaced his home.
My father Eldon Fugate was orphaned and was living around the area as a child and he would tell about other Fugate's being ambushed and hung on the road going to Hazard, KY. He spoke about this when I was a child from time to time. I
know incidents went down after my grandfather's shooting between Beattyville and Hazard Kentucky.

Tom Fugate

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 3:49AM GMT
Rachel Fugate was my Grandmothers Sister. Her name was Bertha Fugate Noble. So you and I are Cousins.My mother is Geneva Noble Messer from Dwarf, Ky. My name is Fred Williams

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 4:02PM GMT
Bad Amos Fugate was my Dad's uncle. His name also was Amos Fugate.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 2:31PM GMT
my husbands grandmother was his sister. There is an aunt of my husbands still living in Indiana who has many stories. we have heard some. but she was there in those hill, wild people

Posted: 3 May 2013 7:47AM GMT
Bad Amos Fugate was my husbands grandfather. You can look up Bad Amos on the internet and it will give you pictures of him, Maude his wife and his sister. You can also find a news paper clipping that tell about him and the day he was killed. I know he was from Breathitt county and he killed all of the police there and that is why they call it bloody Breathitt county, that is how the story goes. What I was told was that his sister got into a fight with another women over some chickens or a pig, no one can remember which on it was. Anyway she killed the woman. She got a hold of Amos and told him what happened. Amos took the blame for the killing since his sister had very young children. He did not want to see her go to jail and leave the little ones without a mother. He was sent to jail but escaped and they sent a posse out after him. They found out where he was headed and set a trap for him. They did not know which one of the police killed him because he had so many bullets in him. When they killed him he was smoking a camel cigarette. One of the police walked over to where the cigarette had fallen and picked it up saying, "he won't be smoking this anymore", then he put the cigarette in his mouth and finished smoking it. This is the what I was told about Bad Amos from my husband and his mother. I hope this helps. I am working on our family history now and haven't seen anything on Green but if I do I will write you. My e-mail address is rebelrancher3@yahoo.com encase there is anything else I might be able to help you with. There are a lot of Fugates in our family on both my husbands side and my side.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic