Search for content in message boards

Phillips Family from Pennsylvania

Phillips Family from Pennsylvania

Posted: 17 Oct 1999 9:07AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 11:22PM GMT
I am looking for information on the Phillips family
from Schuylkill County Pennsyvania. I am
the 4th great granddaughter of Jacob Phillips (Philips)
who was born in 1748 is buried in SummitStation,Pennsyl-
vania in the St. Paul's Lutheran and Reformed
Church Cemetary. My Phillips ancestors are of German
lineage not English as are many Phillips families.
Any help would be appreciated.

phillips family from pennsylvania

mike phillips (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 1999 12:28AM GMT
MY BROTHER AND I HAVE TRACED OUR TREE TO BETHLEHEM, PA. OUR GGGGF ROBERT PHILLIPS WAS BORN THERE IN 1818 AND MARRIED SHARLOTTA (CHARLOTTE?) UTTER. AMONG THIER CHILDREN WAS BORN HUGH HENRY PHILLIPS (1/16/1849) WHO MARRIED ELIZABETH JANE WHITE, THEY HAD ALAUSON BURTON PHILLIPS BORN 12/31/1878 AT BEUNA VISTA TOWNSHIP, PA. HE MARRIED POLLY AMANDA CRUMM.
I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW IF MY BRANCH IS FROM ENGLAND OR GERMANY, I NATURALLY ASSUMED ENGLAND. CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER AND MY GGGGF MARRIED SHARLOTTA UTTER (NOT AN ENGLISH NAME), AND THEIR GRANDSON'S NAME WAS "ALAUSON" IT IS POSSIBLE WE COULD BE FROM GERMAN/EUROPEAN DESCENT. IF ANY OF THESE NAMES HELP YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW, WE CAN COMPARE NOTES.

Jacob Phillips,b1748d1831 in Skuy.co,Pa

Posted: 14 Dec 1999 3:29AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 12:52PM GMT
Jacob is my 5th g-grandfather and I have his wife as Anna Maria. I have his offspring and quite a bit of the tree from him
on down. I would like to go back from him but I also love to fill in the tree beneath him and would love to hear from other grandchildren.

Jacob Phillips, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania

Posted: 14 Dec 1999 5:06AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 11:22PM GMT
I am the 4th great granddaughter of Jacob Phillips and his wife
Anna Maria. I descend through his son Wilhelm Phillips, born in 1799
and his wife Elisabeth Staller. I would love to
share any information I have on my ancestry.
Please email me at sandys70@hotmail.com.

Jacob Phillips 1748-1831 Schuykil Co Pa

Posted: 19 Dec 1999 6:57AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 12:52PM GMT
I am a 5th g-grandson of Jacob and Anna Maria through their son Jacob.
I have his siblings and most of the line of his son John Wesley,who emigrated
to Stephenson Co. Il in the 1850's. Some of his first cousins, Runkles moved to
Il. also.
Children of first Jacob I have are:Jacob,Catherine Dewalt,John,Elizabeth Runkle,
Mary Emerich,Daniel,Jonathan,Christina Gobble,Samuel, William,and Sarah Reber.
Want to hear from cousins, phillipsp@le-win.net

Hannah PHILLIPS

Burr DeFoe Cline, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2000 10:53PM GMT
Noticed your posting about Bethlehem, PA. That is where my great-grandmother, Hannah PHILLIPS was born in 1822. She migrated (somehow) to Stark County, OH where in 1839 she married Francis R.HALL. They had 10 children, lived in Columbus, OH, then MO. Do you see any connection with your Bethlehem PHILLIPS line?

Re: phillips family from pennsylvania

Posted: 9 Jul 2003 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips/Murray
I have been seraching for 3 years for my husbands grandfather, John Henry Phillips who was married to Eliza Elizabeth Murray and they had up to 9 children, somewhere in Pennsylvania. All perished in a scarlet fever epidemic circa 1911, except one son, Lawrence (born in 1900 in Philadelphia) and 1 daughter, I believe her name was Julia (she was about 3 years older than Lawrence). I believe John H. (grandfather) was born in PA circa 1880. The fact that you mentioned a Henry and a Robert in your message made me wonder if there might be a connection. My husband's name was John Henry also and he had a brother named Robert who died in infancy.

Eliza born in 1880 in Philadelphia PA, was the daughter of Joseph Murray and Fannie Bell. they also had Alice Murray, 4 years old in 1880, and Mary, 3 years old in 1880. Fannie was the daughter of William and Letitia Bell, 50 and 49, respectively, in 1880.

In 1919 census, they also had a son named Joseph F (27 years old) and Anna G (20 years old). Eliza was not listed although her sister Mary was, Alice was not.
But I have been unable to locate either John Henry and Eliza Elizabeth's marriage certificate or either of their death certificates or obituaries anywhere.

If anyone has any info that would help me, please help me.

Re: Jacob Phillips 1748-1831 Schuykil Co Pa

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Paul,

Since your last name is Phillips, I would like to tell you about a Phillips DNA project that is currently being conducted at familytreedna.com. Here is a link to the project: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/PhillipsWorldwide. If you click on "Y Results" at the top of the page, it will take you to a DNA chart that shows the results of all the participants thus far. The project has attracted 109 participants and 15 unrelated families of Phillips have been identified. In addition, there are more than 30 participants who do not match any other Phillips in the project.

DNA testing for genealogical purposes has become very popular in the last five years, and about half a dozen companies have sprung up offering DNA testing at relatively affordable prices to the general public. The main emphasis has been on surname projects. Men who share the same last name or some variation of it are recruited to take a DNA test, and then results are compared to discover which of them are related within a genealogical time frame, which generally means within the past 600 years. In Europe, permanent surnames only came into general use by 1400 AD. By joining a surname DNA project, people interested in family history with matching DNA can compare notes and make connections, perhaps enabling them to trace back several generations further than they could without DNA comparisons. Also, DNA analysis can reveal the general region where the ancestor of the participant originated; ie, Scandinavia, central Europe, the Mediterranean, the British Isles and Western European seaboard, etc.

The DNA test is painless and only involves swabbing the inside of the cheek with a special scraper. The lab mails a kit to the participant and then the participant mails his samples back to the lab. The kit is assigned a number and the name of the participant is never published, thereby assuring privacy and confidentiality. Here is a link to the page at the Phillips Worldwide website where you can order the kit: http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=X66026&am...
Just scroll down the page and fill in your name, address, phone number and email address. Click on the arrow beside "Type of Test" and you will see a dropdown menu describing the various tests available. You can pay for the kit online with a credit card and the lab will mail the kit to you within a couple of days.

The administrator of the Phillips Worldwide DNA project is named Harry Shannon Phillips and his email address is PHILLIPSDNAPROJ@AOL.COM in case you would like to contact him directly. He goes by his middle name Shannon. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me or Shannon. By the way, all of us involved with the Phillips Worldwide DNA project are volunteers and none of us get paid to promote the project. We are just interested in sorting out the different Phillips families who immigrated to the New World and hopefully jumping the ocean back to Europe to discover our roots.

Hope you decide to join!

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions