Search for content in message boards

"Picking Up the Porters", Porter family in VA

"Picking Up the Porters", Porter family in VA

Linda Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2005 5:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2005 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I am searching for anyone who might have a book on the PORTER'S titled "Picking Up The Porters". It was about the Porters from Virginia. My grgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrandfather Edward Porter came to Virginia from England and married a woman named Mary?. One of their sons was named Thomas and Thomas married Elizabeth Wood. I would like to find out more on my line of porters that were in VA. from ca. 1634?. If you have this out of print book, I would really appreciate it if you were willing to look up some of their information for me. Thank you in advance.

Linda Bruce

Re: "Picking Up the Porters", Porter family in VA

Pam (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2005 2:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Cowhatcher, Nash
I do not have this book but know of people who do and some of the info is incorrect in it so beware. I come from this line of Porter's and have been re-searching them for 15 years. I have 36,000 prople in my tree and growing related in this Porter line. It's wise to do your own searching as I have found just because its in a book doesnt mean its correct.You are correct about Edward he married Mary Cowthcher. Edward's parents were John Porter & Alice Nash both born in Tappenhall, North Clains, Worcester, Eng.

Linda Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2005 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER, Cowthatcher
Thank you so much Pam for posting a reply to my query on the book "Picking Up the Porters" in VA. And I am thankful that you pointed out that there are some errors in the book I was searching for. Could you please spell Mary's last name again for me please? It is spelled Cowthcher...should that be Cowthatcher? I want you to know how much I appreciate your taking the time to answer me on my query and I will be waiting to hear from you again on Mary's last name. Again, thank you Pam, or should I say cousin Pam.

Linda {Porter} Bruce

Pamela Porter-Newville (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 7:17PM GMT
Yes Cowthatcher is correct, sorry about that,Pam

Kimberlee (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 3:28AM GMT
Linda would you by any chance have a Basil Darnell Porter b, 1860's m. Mary E.Maine? I am looking for any infor you may have on Mary. One source says she was Sioux Indian and the other says she is white. Anything you have on Basil I would appreciate. Basil's father was John Davidson Porter m. Marthy Bunner(Bonner).
You can email me at bigsisteralways@yahoo.com

Kim

Linda Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 5:04PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2005 6:06PM GMT
I am so sorry Kim but I don't have the two Porter's that you mentioned. I even asked 2 other contacts if they might have them and their answers were no also. I am so sorry that I could not be of help to you, but maybe others will see your query to mine and offer help. But don't give up!!!!!

Linda {Porter} Bruce

Posted: 7 Feb 2006 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Brent, Gunnell
Re the Book, I am interested too. In your database, do you have anything on Philip Porter b. abt 1754 married Nancy Ann Brent. daughter of Charles Innes Brent. Nancy was born in Frederick Co, VA My Philip my gggggrandfather was possibly in Loudoun, Stafford, Frederick but do not know where he was born. He left VA about 1807 and went to Shelby Co, KY and died 1831 in Spencer Co, KY. It would be so wonderful to connect with your Porters. you can reply to the board or to me personally at djhimes@bellsouth.net

Thanks in advance for any help.Dottie Porter Himes

Linda Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 2:09AM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2009 3:13AM GMT
Hello Dottie,
I am so sorry hon, but I do not have a Phillip Porter in my records. I wish I did so that I could be of help to you. Maybe someone else reading this answer will see the names and contact you.

Linda Bruce

Richard Shouse (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Waller, Mason
Dottie, I hope you can help me, I'm searching for a Addie E. Porter, (my Great Grandmother, dont know to much but here is what I have, believed born in Virginia, parents unknown, She was born about 1862, Married a Waller (full name unknown) Addie had 5 known children with this waller, Wallie or William born Nov 24, 1881, Tenn., (Tennessee) real name believed to be Lamara or Lamira,l born Jan 10, 1884 Polk Co
Tenn., Lee Walller Born April 21 died May 12 1886 place unknown. Sallie Waller Apr 16, 1887 my grandmother. 1920 census Oklahoma,
Bryant Co. Durrant Dist 15 states she was born in Virginia. George Porter Waller born Aug 12, 1889 entered WW1 1920/21 Durrant Oklahoma, Addie maarried again on Nov 16, 1892 to Amos Mason in Hunt Texas. Please any information you have may help. Thank you in advance
Richard

Dottie Porter Himes (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2006 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Brent
I wish I had some good news but I don't. I checked my database of many Porters but do not have an Addie E. Porter or any Wallers. Keep checking, don't give up. I have been working on my Porters for over 30 years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions