Search for content in message boards

PAF and no more updates

PAF and no more updates

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 6:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was told that PAF is no longer being made is that true?

Re: PAF and no more updates

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2012 11:02AM GMT
23 Feb. 2010

The way that I understand it, PAF will no longer be updated, but it will remain available in the LDS web site for downloading.

There are big changes going on with the LDS web site and the Family History Library, along with the way that LDS members do Temple work, and all of that requires a more powerful and closely integrated genealogy program. Eventually all of the microfilms will be available in digital form on-line, and Temple work will be handled the same way.

Ancestral Quest appears to be one of the ways that the focus will shift. PAF is itself a modified form of an older version of Ancestral Quest, and the latest version of Ancestral Quest is designed to work with the PAF file format and to integrate with the new LDS web site. Other genealogy programs are also either currently compatible with the new web site or soon will be certified. You can check on the LDS web site as to the status of other genealogy programs.

For most people, PAF will continue to be a viable genealogy program to use.

Dave

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 6:59PM GMT
Thank you that helps alot I was worried for a minute.

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 5:30AM GMT
From what I have read PAF is no longer being updated. However, I ended up buying Ancestral Quest because it has the look and feel of PAF and is being updated periodically. What I do not like about AQ is that you cannot access the maps/ place names unless you are an LDS person. That is terrible when you pay your money and the program has been crippled. However, although I have many other software programs, I always gravitate back to AQ. To access place names, I have had to use my Family Tree Maker but it does not support RINS and you end up when you export a GEDCOM with all names in alphabetical order meaning that my wife is a long way away from me in the RIN table it produces in the output file that I then import into AQ. So, to overcome this, I have run the programs side by side and find out correct spelling etc. of place names in FTM and then enter the correct data into AQ. It would be easier if people entered data correctly such as town/village, state/shire/province, country instead of just Exeter, for example. Everyone should include the country in their data as a minimum.

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 8:30PM GMT
its actually LDS, not LSD. I always get a chuckle when that mistake comes up :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions