Search for content in message boards

Kowalczewski & Lublin province

Kowalczewski & Lublin province

Chris Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kowalczewski
Looking for Kowalczewski, Joseph bn. 1888, Village Irena, Lublin province, Poland.
Emigrated to Canada and then Michigan

Re: Kowalczewski & Lublin province

Posted: 8 Aug 2001 1:19AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2002 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Modrzejewski
Chris, I noticed somewhere that you were asking about the Modrzejewski name in Milwaukee. My wife's great-grandfather, Anton Danielski, was born in Poland in 1854, immigrated to Milwaukee in 1869, and lived out the rest of his life there. His mother is shown on his death certificate as Ewa Modzejowska. Perhaps this is the same name you are asking about. I don't know whether Ewa ever came to the U.S., Anton was only 15 when he came to the U.S. but I don't know who accompanied him, if anyone. Do you know where in Poland this name comes from or any other information helpful to us? Thanks, Walt.

Re: Kowalczewski & Lublin province

chris robinson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Modrzjewski/Modrzejowska
Walter, I don't know exactly where this Modrzejewski name is from. I do know my grandfather's family came from an area near Wloclawek, about 15 miles west. They lived in several towns: Jaranowo, Rzadka Wola, Falborz, Biele. These are all in the OLD province of Wloclawek, but now are in Kujawsko-Pomorski province. My grandfather emigrated to US in 1913. I have found a village with the name Modrzew near all these above villages. I don't know if that's where the name came from, though. Hope this helps. I have found quite a few Modrzejewski's on the Ellis Island site, and a few in Milwaukee itself, but never anyone related directly to my grandfather. He was the only one in his family to emigrate to the US. We still have quite a few relatives in Kujawsko-Pomorski.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions