Search for content in message boards

Michigan Farms Colony for Epileptics

Michigan Farms Colony for Epileptics

Judi Langer (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Guse
My grandfather was on the 1920 Michigan census as being an inmate at the Michigan Farms Colony for Epileptics. It was in Tuscola County. I would like to know anything about that institution, address etc. I know he died there and would like to know if there are records. I am looking for where he would be buried. He came from Russia in 1908. His name was Emil Guse.
Posted: 16 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2003 12:35PM GMT
Some added info I just read further down the list,the Michigan State Hospital Commission purchased this site in 1913, 1510 acres. It became Caro State Hospital in 1952 with 17 cottages, and if you visit a Latter Day Saint church and use their geneology info, you can find the name of the residents under4 the Farming Colony in Indianfield Township.

Farm for epileptics

Posted: 16 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2003 12:35PM GMT
In response to your inquiry about institution for epileptics, there was one located at Wahjamega, which I'm sure you have seen mentioned. My grandparents worked there from approx. 1945 until early 1960's, and I remember so well picking them up from work, my grandma worked in central kitchen, and my grandpa was an orderly, there were many cottages at that time and probably most of the people in Caro worked there or had relatives who worked there. I believe it changed in the 1980's to a prison, if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps.

Re: Farm for epileptics

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 4:57AM GMT
FYI: The Farm Colony for the Epileptics/ Caro State Hospital did not turn into a prison. only 2 buildings, that are across the river, were given to the DOC. The hopital still exists, under a new name, Caro Center. Don't know that you can obtain records from there though, especially old records. May want to try Dept of Community Health in Lansing, Mi.

Re: Michigan Farms Colony for Epileptics

Deborah (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2003 5:15AM GMT
The records for the Farm Conlony are archived in the Tuscola Co. Court house.

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 10:39PM GMT
Yes you can obtain the Death Certificates from the Tuscola County Clerks office. 989 672-3780 This will give you the death certificate and what they died of. It does not give you where they are buried which is what I want to know too. My relative died of TB at this facility and I am also wondering if she was sent there because she was epileptic and picked up TB or could she have been sent there because she had TB. In those days people with TB were sent to "sanitariums" I don't know if this hosp was considered a sanitarium in 1930 when she was there.

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 10:16AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2013 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: Guse, Giske

Name:Emil Guse
Birth Date:1871
Birth Place:Russia
Death Date:19 Jul 1947
Death Place:Indianfields, Tuscola, Michigan
Burial Date:21 Jul 1947
Burial Place:St. Joseph, Michigan
Cemetery Name:St. Joseph
Death Age:76
Race: White
Marital Status: Widowed
Father Birth Place: Russia
Mother Name:Rose Giske
Mother Birth Place:Russia
Spouse Name:Rosella Guse
FHL Film Number:

Posted: 17 Jan 2014 5:44PM GMT
I just recently found out one of my relatives was a patient there in 1940. Why would epileptics need to be institutionalized?

Posted: 18 Jan 2014 3:34PM GMT
You need to look at events within the context of the time in which they occurred, not in terms of today. In 1940, any deviation from the "normal" was treated as needing special attention. The medications to control seizures had not been developed. Go back and look into the history of the time and how and why these issues were handled. We have come a long way since then, but to understand then, you need to study the history.

Posted: 27 Jan 2014 6:56AM GMT
Do you know if there is a way to obtain an autopsy report? My husbands aunt was made a ward of the state because his grandparents couldn't afford her care and they didn't know what was wrong with her. She died at the caro state hospital for epileptics and they did an autopsy and stated that she was found to have Bielchowskys type batten disease. She was only 6 and this was in the 1960's. I'd like to know how they came to that conclusion because it's an autosomal recessive genetic disorder and I don't know how much things have changed in the medical world and if it's possibly something else discovered after the 60's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions