Search for content in message boards

Hoskin/Hoskins in Van Buren County, Iowa

Hoskin/Hoskins in Van Buren County, Iowa

Karen A. Flick (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2004 11:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2004 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: HOSKIN, HOSKINS, MOWERY, SCROGGINS, LINN
Is anyone familiar with the HOSKIN/HOSKINS family of Van Buren County? I am trying to piece together an Ora E. HOSKIN with Neri S. HOSKIN and Lucinda SCROGGINS. From the LDS Family Search I have Ora E. HOSKIN being born about 1869 in Van Buren County, Iowa and his parents were listed as William L. HOSKINS and Sarah Elizabeth MOWERY. I found William L. HOSKINS being born October 11, 1824 in Brookfield Township, Noble (or Morgan), Ohio (his father was born in Conneticutt and his mother was born in Virginia) and Sarah Elizabeth MOWERY being born about 1831 in Indiana (both of her parents born in Kentucky). This family is listed on the 1860 Van Buren County federal census, page 193, family #302. The name is spelled as "HASKINS". The family consists of the following individuals:

1. William age 35, born in Ohio
2. Sarah E. age 29 born in Indiana
3. Lucinda age 7 born in Iowa
4. John I. age 4 born in Iowa
5. Alvah age 1 born in Iowa (1860)

In the 1870 Van Buren County federal census there is an addition of two more children:

6. Norman born 1863
7. Asa born 1869*

* This is the person I believe who's name is really "Ora" E. HOSKIN as the date is right. Does anyone know anything about this "Asa" HOSKIN?

The following family was living next door to William and Lucinda HOSKIN: Neri (age 64), and Angleline (Mary Angeline Zuck, age 40), Homer age 23, Rhoda age 17, Walter age 11, Jasper age 6, Inez age 3, and Neri age 5.5 months.

On the 1880 Union, Davis County, Iowa federal census is where I found John I. HOSKIN and his wife Emma C. and their two children, Minne E. and Mattie M.

1. Minnie E. Born about 1877. She married Charles Warren COCHRAN on 6 Feb., 1898 in Van Buren County.
2. Mattie M. Born about 1876. She married Frank COCHRAN 24 Feb., 1897 in Van Buren County. (Source: LDS Family Search).

Also on the 1880 Des Moines Township, Van Buren County federal census the family name is spelled 'HOSKNIS". Asa is listed as being age 11 which matches with the birthdate of 1869 I have for Ora. I also have what is listed as Sarah Elizabeth MOWERY HOSKINS's mother living with this family. Her name was Lucinda MOWERY. She was born about 1810 in Kentucky (sheet #512B). There are quite a few MOWERYS (also spelled MOWRE, MOURE, MOWRY, MOURIE and MOWREY) in the Van Buren and Davis County area. There was also a Sarah MOWREY living in Milton, Van Buren County, Iowa. She was on the 1880 federal census as being born in 1807 in Kentucky with both of her parents born in Pennsylvania.

Ora. E. HOSKIN married Dora Mae LINN, daughter of Alonzo LINN and Keren H. RICHARDSON. Dora was born 1871 in Van Buren County, Iowa. Dora and Ora married 24 June, 1891 in Van Buren County, Iowa. They also lived for a time in Rocky Ford, Colorado and moved to Pasadena, California before 1920. They had two children: Raymond Linn HOSKIN and Betty Mae HOSKIN (she married a man named HARRIS).

That is about all I have. If anyone can tie Ora HOSKIN to William HOSKIN to Neri HOSKIN I would be very appreciative.

Re: Hoskin/Hoskins in Van Buren County, Iowa

Charles E. Hales (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2004 5:40PM GMT
Suggest you post a query in Rich Lowe's fine Van Buren County website at: <http://www.rootsweb.com/~iavanbur/>;
good luck.

Re: Hoskin/Hoskins in Van Buren County, Iowa

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 4:57AM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins
Karen (nice name!) - the actual 1870 census clearly shows Ora age 1 not ASA Hoskins. Will send you copies of original census to you privately.
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic