Search for content in message boards

the cotton family from england to massachusetts bay

the cotton family from england to massachusetts bay

jessica (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2000 12:36PM GMT
Hello,
My name is jessica , I am a dircet descendant of john cottton who left england in 1635 to mass. bay . ( this is on my mothers side ) my great xs4 grand mother was Zarina cotton my grand mother is marjorie perkins ( married william monica ) my great grand mother who I was lucky enough to meet was the great grand daughter of zarina cotton . I would like to know some of the families who are also from this blood line
you can email me at skye_daeg@yahoo.com , I look foward from hearing from some of you

John Cotton family

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 7:43AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 3:26AM GMT
Could this be the Reverend John Cotton who came to America in 1633 and settled in Boston, Massachusetts? What was your John Cotton wife's name? What were his children's names? There are a group of us on-line that are searching for information on parents of Samuel Cotton (wife- Lydia Bates) born abt 1677, with possible father John Cotton (wife Mary Stow?) Perhaps we are related! Joan

JOHN COTTON

JESSICA (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2000 9:06PM GMT
HELLO JOAN ,
MY JOHM COTTON WAS THE ONE WHO CAME OVER TO MASS. BAY SAILED FROM ENGLAND IN 1633 AND THE FOLLOWERS LANDED AROUND 1635 AND HIS SECOND WIFE S NAME WAS SARAH HAKRIDGE ( STORY ) THIER CHILDREN AS FOLLOWS SEABORN ,SARIAH , ELIZBETH ,JOHN JR, MARIA ,
MY GREAT XS 4 GRAND MOTHER WAS ZARINA COTTON
WHO MARRIED A JACOB BAILEY LOVEJOY ,
THEY HAD A SON JACOB JR .
AND HE MARRIED HARRIET BAILEY NO RELATION , THEY HAD A DAUGHTER ELLEN LOVEJOY AND SHE MARRIED GEORGE WILCOX THEY HAD A DAUGHTER ALICE WHO MARRIED HARRY PERKINS THEY HAD A DAUGHTER MARJORIE SHE MARRIED WILLIAM MONICA , THEY HAD A DAUGHTER ELLEN , THEN SHE HAD ME JESSICA THEN SHE MARRIED JAMES TAYLOR , I WILL LOOK FOR A SAMUEL , IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME HOW EVER WE HAVE THE SAME JOHN COTTON , AND THERE WAS A ROUGH DRAFT OF SOME OF THE FAMILY HISTORY I HAVE INFO FROM ROLAND ALL THE WAY TO MY CHILDREN , JESSICA

Descendants of Rev. John Cotton

Posted: 16 Dec 2000 5:02PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2002 12:03PM GMT
Neither of the two sons of Rev. John Cotton of Boston (arrived on the Griffin 1633) bore a son, Samuel, that lived to marry. Rev. John Cotton Jr. of Plymouth did have a son, Samuel, born 2 Feb 1678 but he died 23 Dec 1682 and was buried on Burial Hill, Plymouth.

The only female "Bates" shown marrying into the Rev. John Cotton line (early line) is a Charity Bates who married Ward Cotton of Hartland, Vermont. Ward's line is 1) Rev. John 2) Seaborn 3) John 4) Thomas 5) Melvin and 6) Ward born 25 Feb 1793.

Reference is "A Short Biography of The Rev. John Cotton of Boston and a Cotton Genealogy of His Descendants" compiled by La Verne C. Cooley printed privately at Batavia, New York 1945 and available in reprint from:

Higginson Book Company
148 Washington Street
P.O. Box 778
Salem, MA 01970

Tel: (978) 745-7170
Fax: (978) 745-8025

Although La Verne Cooley's work is not completely accurate nor is it "proven" because no citations as to sources of information are given, it does stand as the only published work on the Descendants of Rev. John Cotton and provides a good guideline as to the early Cottons because New-England has some of the best vital records available.

Hope this helps you in some small manner.

Barry A. Cotton

Your Ancestors from Jacob Baily Lovejoy back to Rev. John Cotton

Posted: 16 Dec 2000 5:54PM GMT
The information that follows has been taken from "A Short Biography of The Rev. John Cotton of Boston and a Cotton Genealogy of His Descendants" compiled by La Verne C. Cooley printed privately at Batavia, New York 1945 and available in reprint from:

Higginson Book Company
148 Washington Street
P.O. Box 778
Salem, MA 01970

Tel: (978) 745-7170
Fax: (978) 745-8025

Although La Verne Cooley's work is not completely accurate nor is it "proven" because no citations as to sources of information are given, it does stand as the only published work on the Descendants of Rev. John Cotton and provides a good guideline as to the early Cottons because New-England has some of the best vital records available.

Cooley shows Jacob Bailey Lovejoy born Hardwick, Vermont 18 Jan 1824 and died 25 March 1901.

No other information is provided for marriage or children and "your line" stops here in Cooley's work.

Going back in time, however, all past generations are shown.

Zerina Dean Cotton (check your spelling) born 2 10 1799 at Harland, Vt. married 27 April 1819 to Jacob Bailey Lovejoy. (No death given)

Ebenezer Cotton (father of Zerina Dean Cotton) born 5 May 1768 at Pomfret, CT. Liven in Hartland, VT. Married Tirza Grow born 18 July 1782 (daughter of Joseph and Tirza (Sanger) Grow). No marriage date given. Death of Ebenezer 26 Sept 1819.

Thomas Cotton (father of Ebenezer) born 30 April 1730. He was a soldier in the Connecticut Line durning the Revolution. (Do you want to join DAR?) Married (1st) Sarah Holbrook 14 June 1753. Died 29 Sept 1808 in Hartland, VT.

Thomas Cotton (father of Thomas) born 28 Oct 1695; died 31 Aug 1770 in Pomfret, CT. Married Martha Williams of Roxbury at Roxbury 14 April 1725.

Rev. John Cotton (father of Thomas) born 8 May 1658 at Wethersfield, CT. Graduated Harvard in 1678. Ordained at Hampton NH 19 Nov. 1696. Married Ann Lake of Boston 7 Aug 1686. (Ann Lake married second Increase Mather father of Cotton Mather through his first marriage to Mariah Cotton daugher of the Rev. John Cotton. Ann Lake was daughter of Captain Thomas Lake and granddaughter of Deputy Governor Stephern Goodyear of New Haven- her mother was a Goodyear. She was sister of Sir Thomas Lake, succeeded his uncle, Sir Edward Lake as baronet. Rev. John Cotton died 27 March 1710.

Seaborn Cotton (father of John) was born at sea on the ship, Griffin, during the voyage to Boston, on 12 Aug 1633 and died in Hampton NH on 20 April 1686. He graduated Harvard College in 1651. He married Dorothy Bradstreet, the daugher of Governor Simon and Ann (Dudley) Bradstreet, on 14 June 1654.

Rev. John Cotton born Derby, Derbyshire, England and Sarah Hawkredd were Seaborn's parents and I have much more on both that I can share with you but prefer to do it "off line".

I am descended from Rev. John Cotton's second son, Rev. John Cotton Jr. who became pastor of the Plylmouth Church after being a missionary to the Indians on Marha's Vineyard. He was fluent in the Massachusetts Indian language.

As I am just completing a two year process of "proving" the Cotton Line from which I descend, I can not help but wonder if you have proven your line to Zerina Dean Cotton. By this I mean can you document each generation with actual birth, death and marriage documents? And, although Zerina is shown in La Verne Cooley's work, this does not mean that it is accepted by most Lineage Societies so additional work would need to be done to "prove" Zerina back to Seaborn Cotton. Much of the documention for this does exist, however, in various New England books of published Vital Records.

Hope that in some small measure this helps you.

cottonba@usa.net

John Cotton > Samuel Cotton > Samuel Cotton Jr.

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 12:03AM GMT
Joan,

In earlier messages, an attempt has been made to clarify the fact that the John Cotton, Samuel Cotton, Samuel Cotton Jr. line is not connected to the Rev. John Cotton of Boston Line from the time on Rev. John Cotton through his descendants. This is not to say that there may not be a connection from England.

I was contacted by a someone seeking help with the Samuel Cotton/s and their spouses Lydia Bates and Mary Cornwell. What follows is the results of my brief (2 hrs.) research that is being passed on in hopes that it might shed some light on your work.

The John Cotton, Samuel Cotton, Samuel Cotton line does not seem to be related to Rev. John Cotton of Boston or his children Seaborn Cotton, Rev. John Cotton Jr. of Plymouth or Maria (Cotton) Mather wife of Increase Mather, mother of Cotton Mather. Two Samuel Cottons were born in this line but never lived to adulthood.

After several hours of research, I can offer the following bits of information:

The Cotton Line in question is from Connecticut. I do not have Connecticut Vital Statistics as my line is all from Boston and Plymouth. However, I have found the spouses of Samuel Cotton listed in Gene Pool Data kept in LDS records in Salt Lake City as follows:

Lydia Bates was born 25 Feb 1673 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts to John Bates and Mary Farewell. Lydia died in 1716.

Mary Cornwell was born 25 January in Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut to William Cornwell and Martha Mary Thompson.

Both were spouses of Samuel Cotton (father and son) but no Gene Pool Records are listed under “Cotton” for either Samuel.

Early Probate Records of Connecticut show a “Stow” record in which a Samuel Cotton son of Mary Spalding (alias Cotton) appears. If it is proven that the Samuel Cotton listed is the son of John Cotton and Mary Stow, then this record could be of some help to you. However, Samuel Cotton is shown as the son of Mary Spalding (alias Cotton). As a result, it seems that Mary (Stow) Cotton must have remarried to a “Spalding”. This inference is reasonable given the fact that Mary is shown as the mother of Samuel Cotton and that you have some indication that the parents of Samuel Cotton were John Cotton and Mary Stow. The record follows:

A DIGEST OF THE EARLY CONNECTICUT PROBATE RECORDS.
1700 to 1710.

Page 116 Name: Sergt. Nathaniel Stow Location: Middletown
Died February 1704-5. Invt. œ368-09-09. Taken 20 February 1704-5, by John Hall, Seth Warner and Alexander Rollo.
Court Record, Page 63--6 March 1704-5: Adms. To Thomas Stow, Sen., a brother of the deceased. Rec., œ200.
Page 82--4 April 1706: Thomas Stow of Middletown, Adms. on the estate of Nathaniel Stow, presented an account of his Adms.:
œ s d
Has paid in debts and charges, 92-14-05
Inventory, 384-03-03
The real part, 231-00-00
Personal part, 153-03-03
Deducting 1-2 real part given Samuel Stow by deed, 115-10-00
There remains of the real estate, 115-10-00
And of personal estate there remains, 92-14-05
There remains to be distributed in equal parts, 57-08-10
To Thomas Stow, to Samuel Stow, to heirs of John Stow, to Mary Spalding, to Thankful Hill, and to heirs of Elizabeth Bidwell, decd.
This Court orders a distribution of the estate, and appoint Lt. Thomas Ward, Alexander Rollo and Deacon Joseph Rockwell distributors.
To John Stow, to Thankful Hill, to Samuel Cotton (son of Mary Spalden alias Cotton), to Samuel Bidwell (husband of Elizabeth Bidwell, decd.), and to Thomas Stow (brother of Sergt. Nathaniel Stow). By Thomas Ward, Alexander Rollo and Joseph Rockwell.
Court Record, Page 95--7 July 1707: Report of the dist. on file.

Cotton son of Mary Spalding (alias Cotton) appears.

Another record that could be of help is the LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of a Samuel Cotton dated 16 November 1737 in which Samuel Cotton mentions his mother, Mary Cotton, deceased; mentions “my father, John Cotton”; and, mentions his son, Samuel. However, Samuel Cotton gives his wife as, Experience, in the WILL. This makes sense given the Gene Pool record for Lydia Bates shows her death in 1716. Without Vitals for Samuel Cotton, it could be assumed that he was born within 5 years of Lydia (1673) and this would make Samuel between 65 and 70 years old at the time of his will and means that he would have remarried between 1717 to 1720 at age 44 to 47. The WILL concludes with the naming of his wife, Experience, and his brother-in-law, Samuel Hall, as executors of the will. As a result, it is safe to assume that Experience Cotton’s maiden name was Elizabeth Hall.

Perhaps you know all of this, I have no way of knowing, but I would highly recommend that you and your fellow “Researchers” contact the Connecticut Historical Society. I have recently joined the Society and have found them to be both very helpful and very professional. The Cottons you seek are from Connecticut and I am just becoming familiar with Connecticut Records because my ancestors lived for generations in Plymouth, Massachusetts and helped keep the Plymouth Town Records (Josiah Cotton and his son, John and my 8th grandfather, Nathaniel Morton, who authored the New-England Memorial.

A hotlink follows for the Connecticut Historical Society: http://www.chs.org/

Samuel CottonÂ’s LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT follows:

A DIGEST OF THE EARLY CONNECTICUT PROBATE RECORDS.
1737 to 1742.

Page 77 Name: Samuel Cotton, Sen. Location: Middletown
Invt. œ620-11-05. Taken 28 April, 1738, by Benjamin Adkins, Jonathan Allyn and William Rockwell. Will dated 16 November, 1737.

I, Samuel Cotton, Sen., of Middletown, in the County of Hartford, do make this my last will and testament: I give unto Experience, my wife, all my household goods of what name soever which she brought with her when we were married, and 1 cow, 1 heifer and my iron kettle, to be at her own dispose. I give to my son Samuel 1 equal third part of my right in the piece of land that is laid out in the third division to the heirs of my mother Mary Cotton deceased, and 4 acres of land called the Indian Point, which 4 acres shall lye next to the Boggy Meadow; and a large sermon book which was my father John Cotton's, entitled "Gospel Conversation." I give to my son Ebenezer 1-3 part of my right in the piece of land that is laid out in the third division to the heirs of my mother Mary Cotton deceased, and 3 acres more of land called Indian Point, to lye next to Samuel's 4 acres, and the equal half of all my carpenters' and joyners' tools after John hath taken the tools I have particularly mentioned hereafter, only I give to Ebenezer my 2-inch augur. I give to my son John my broad axe, vears, adice, inch and a half augur and inch augur, and 2 or 3 old narrow chisells, and a piece of a square, and the equal half of all the remainder of all my carpenter and joyner tools except my 2-inch augur. I give to my sons John and William my dwelling house and homelott and all the remainder of my land at Indian Point, and the other third part of my right in a piece of land that was laid out in the third division to the heirs of my mother Mary Cotton deceased, and all my stock and husbandry tools and utensils except the cow and heifer I have given to my wife. And my will is that my two sons John and William shall pay all my just debts and funeral charges. And further, I give to my two sons John and William all my boggy meadow, they paying to my two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth, to each œ6-10 money, and to the two children of my daughter Prudence, to each of them 20 shillings. I further give to my daughter Mary my cubboard, and to my daughter Elizabeth my chest. And my will is that my sons John and William shall pay to my daughter Lydia 20 shillings money. I make my wife Experience and my brother-in-law Samuel Hall executors.
Witness: John Elton, John Chivers (Cheever?), William Rockwell.
Samuel Cotton, ls.
Court Record, Page 28--2 May, 1738: Will proven.

Hope this is of some help to yaÂ’ll.

Barry A. Cotton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions