Search for content in message boards

African-American Dawkins from South Carolina

African-American Dawkins from South Carolina

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm researching my Dawkins family history and also looking for descendants of my ancestors that include Alice, Roach, Spencer, Henrietta, Clander, Hilliard and Celia. All were slaves living in and around Union/Goshen Hill, SC in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Some of their children include Ragsdale (Raster), Thomas, Julia, Chaney, Neal, Irene and Rhoda. This actually a HUGE family but only a few names are mentioned here. If any of these names are familiar, please contact me.

Re: African-American Dawkins from South Carolina

Posted: 19 Mar 2011 5:47AM GMT
My wife's great-grandfather is Wallace D. Dawkins stated on multiple records to have a mother and father's birthplace of South Carolina. We believe his father was also named Wallace married to an Ella. Wallace is stated to have been born in South Carolina. Ella was much younger and from Florida. We have hit a cold trail at this point.

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 7:03AM GMT
Hi, my name is Kathryn, my dad name is Edward Dawkins and my grand father is Eddie Dawkins and my great grandfather is Roach Dawkins. According to my aunt my family is from Spartansburg SC but orginated from Union. Please contact me also

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2012 3:09AM GMT
From my understanding Roach was married twice and had 34 children altogether. I made contact with several of his descendants from different states. So far they are able to come up with 17 children. Eddie will make 18. By chance do you know Eddie's mothers name? Feel free to contact me directly.

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 4:31AM GMT
Roach Dawkins is my great grandfather,,, I know his wife name was Laura and they had a lot of children. i know they originally from Union County and moved to Sparantsburg SC... THe and his wife both were mullato.. Contact me also and let me know what information you have,

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 4:35AM GMT
Wow.. I know from my Aunt that Roach Dawkins as she put it multiplied the whole town of spartansburg... Roach was my great grandfather... My grand father name is Eddie which is decease.. I sure don't I have to ask my Aunt Tina.

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 11:43PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 9:43PM GMT
2013 THE DAWKINS 87TH REUNION BRINGS SLAVES' HEIRS TO SAVANNAH GA.
WE ARE TRULY DELIGHTED TO INVITE THE ENTIRE DAWKINS DESCENDANTS TO JOIN US IN
“HONORING THE SPIRIT AND THE HANDS OF OUR ROOTS”
July 25-28, 2013
HISTORIC SAVANNAH GEORGIA
IT WAS THE 71ST THE 78TH AND NOW THE 87TH DDG&C FAMILY REUNION CELEBRATION HOSTED BY ELWOOD T. MASSEY (TONY) AND MARTHA DAWKINS MASSEY (MIKKI) OF SAVANNAH GA.
The Dawkins, Duckett, Gibson & Cannon Family reunion is one of America's oldest consistently documented African American families in the USA. The DDG&C Family has maintained close ties since 1926, when the first documented family reunion was recorded. Since then, the family continued to gather, fellowship, reminisce and share the pride and joy of family and new generations, offset by nostalgia for the past and lost loved ones. It has been documented that the history of the Dawkins Family is well recognized and distinguished as early as the 1600s, extending from the late 17th century in Union County South Carolina. The family members are scattered to more than 38 states in the USA and Germany. It is documented that the Dawkins clan began some 300 years ago during slavery. We are descendants Of Judge Thomas Dawkins of “The Shrubs House”, Union, SC. The DDG&C portion of the family is confirmed to have originated from a slave master, my great grandfather ,William Bill Mckinley Dawkins from Scotland And our slave mothers Rosetta and Milsey who came from Africa. The two sisters were Mr. Dawkins mistresses and mothered more than 20 children for him. The linage of Katy, Mr. Dawkins’ first wife is highly sought. This family has been recognized with proclamations and other recognitions from Presidents, Governors, and Mayors of major cities throughout the United States where family reunions have been celebrated. “
The 2013 family celebration will provide an excellent opportunity to share the pride of our roots with an 1800’s enactment of the lifestyles of our slave ancestors who blazed the path for the generations that followed. The weekend of festivities will include the making of a documentary, Family genealogical reflections, Saturday night frolic , worship experiences, and the annual family dinner. The DDG&C family exhibit will depict the lifestyles of our slave ancestors with a display of artifacts showing collections of items ,documents, tools, cookware, toys and personal accessories used by our slave ancestors. These items will bring to life the living conditions and experiences of our ancestors who lived during the 1800’s. The celebration will represent part of a major year-long effort, to unite all branches of the Dawkins family who lived in the Red Point, Santuct and Carlisle communities in the 1800’s. My great grandfather, William B. Dawkins owned 89 slaves whose families are located throughout the USA. As the host family, Elwood T, Massey (Dawkins) and his mother, Martha Dawkins Massey and Robert W. Dawkins are inviting family members to come prepared to honor our deceased family members at the memorial wall. I will personally pay tribute to my father and mother , a former Pastor and Presiding Elder of the family church, Paradise A.M.E, in Santuct, SC. Paradise A.M.E. church, one of the oldest AME churches in the connection was deeded to the AME church in the 1800’s by my father’s grandmother, Rosetta ,his father Mike and other heirs who inherited the name and wordly goods of William Dawkins. The Dawkins, Duckett, Gibson and Cannon families pay homage to Paradise AME church in many ways; financially, loyalty, and endearment to loved ones laid to final rest at the churchyard.
We have maintained our families as ordinary people, engendering preachers, presiding elders, entrepreneurs, farmers, educators, coaches, lawyers, doctors, judges, inventors, and outstanding citizens from all walks of life. “We are proud to relate our past to the present generation which will provide each of us with valuable knowledge of the future”. For more information, visit our reunion website: www.dawkinsfamilyreunion.com or email: ourdawkins2013@aol.com
THE HOST FAMILY
MARTHA DAWKINS MASSEY (MIKKI)
ELWOOD THOMAS MASSEY (TONY)
ROBERT W. DAWKINS
REVISED 1/5/2013

Posted: 20 May 2012 1:19AM GMT
This is so interesting! Wish I could add something to the discussion but my "Dawkins" relatives lived across the river in Dawkins, Fairfield county. I've been concentrating my efforts on my "Thompson" relatives there whose in-laws were "Dawkins". That is, my great, great grandfather, Ruben Thompson, was married to Martha Dawkins (my great,great grandmother).

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:14AM GMT
It looks like Roach was short for Rocheal 1852-1924. He had two wifes. With Laura Norris (1875) he had 7 children. With Mary Knuckles (1650-1920)he had 12 children. one was named Roacheal also and was born in 1878.

The first Rochael Dawkins is in my tree as the father-in-law of Mary Emma Dawkins (1890-1980) who was married to Cleveland Dawkins (1884).

This is not a direct line for my tree. It appears to be an in-law relationship. I did not see parents for Rocheal .

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 11:04PM GMT
Looking for any information on my great grandfather Bee Dawkins born 1885 and lived in Gaffney SC in Draytonville Township. He married Julia Littlejohn and they had 9 children: James "Hack" Dawkins, Jack Dawkins, MinnieMae Dawkins (Montgomery), Jump Dawkins, Ed Dawkins, Fred Dawkins, Elsie Emore, Pete Dawkins, Stan "Doc" Dawkins, and William Bill Dawkins. Any information would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions