Search for content in message boards

Pickles Hargreaves, Jr. (1924-2004) USA

Pickles Hargreaves, Jr. (1924-2004) USA

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 4:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2010 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Hargreaves, Schumacher
I have a letter sent from Pickles Hargreaves, Jr. RM2/C USS LST 384 dated 6 April 1944 to Eleanor Schumacher in Wallingford, Connecticut. I was able to find his birth (21 May 1924) and death dates (29 Feb 2004) and burial place at Elmwood Cemetery because of his unusual name. I would love to share a copy of this two page handwritten letter with relatives. In the letter he related that Pickles is truly his name and adds, "Want to see my 'dog tag?' That's how I usually prove it to non-believers." He also mentions that he is missing "Good Old Mass."

Re: Pickles Hargreaves, Jr. (1924-2004) USA

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 3:40PM GMT
I would like to see the letter My great great great great uncle was james hargreaves who invented the spinning jenny

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hargreaves, Schumaker, Greaves, Greeves
Would enjoy reading the letter and thank you for the offer! My GGF was William Hargreaves, a watchmaker from Manchester, England. He immigrated in 1900 and married my GGM, Anna Schumaker from Pennsylvania. I believe her parents were from Baden Baden, Germany. Their 5 children were Charles Horace, Helen 'Girlie',William James, Anna, and Ronald Thomas. There was maritial strife, and at one time the boys were placed in an orphanage called,'The Hoffman Orphanage'. My GGF shortened his name to Greaves, and in the 1910 census, I've found them living in New Jersey and his occupation is listed as diamond setter. In 1920, Anna is listed as Greeves.
Being somewhat common names, its quite possible that there's no relation at all, but its worth a try, since we have little info on that family branch. I do know several of the boys went into the military, and the family was catholic.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 9:11PM GMT
I have to get back to all my files in the basement, but will dig it out sooner or later! I've got a lot of projects going at the moment, so it might take me awhile, but I will do it!

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 2:42PM GMT
I am sorry, there is no information in the geneology concerning the family who settled outside the EL ohio area.

Bruce

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 6:20PM GMT
I must have missed something here.... to what genealogy are you referring? I can't see any reference to one in the previous posts on this topic.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 8:57PM GMT
Hi!

I have posted the envelope from Pickles as well as the two page letter. If anyone has more information on him (or is directly related to him) please let me know.
Attachments:

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 5:14PM GMT
Hi,I am quite surprised to read the letter. It is from my father! Your last post was dated the day before (sort of as he died 02/29/2004) the 7th anniversary of his passing. After WWII, he returned to Methuen, MA to marry and start a family. He joined the Methuen Fire Department and rose to the rank of Deputy Chief.
Mark

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hargreaves
This is my Dad's letter alright. I recognize the handwriting. I am Mark's sister. My dad married Dorothy Atkinson in November 1944. They had four children: Thomas (1949), David (1950), Ruth (1952) and Mark (1954). Thank you for posting this.

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Hargreaves, Schumacher, Holtei
Okay, so here's my question -- do either of you have any idea how he would "find" my Mom in Wallingford, CT and end up corresponding with her? We don't have any direct family connections with Massachusetts. The only possible connection of which I can conceive is that my Uncle Vernon Schumacher (my mom's brother) married Antonia (Toni) Grace Holtei who was born in Boston, MA in 1919. My Mom didn't have any siblings in the service, but I suppose your Dad's unit might have had someone else from Wallingford in it and maybe they passed my Mom's name and address on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions