Search for content in message boards

Jacksonville, Davidson County, Tennessee

Jacksonville, Davidson County, Tennessee

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have found reference on two different wwI draft registration cards to a Jacksonville, Tennessee, in the county of Davidson, and there seems to have been a power plant there [in 1917-1918?]. I did live in middle TN a good part of my life; I have never heard of a Jacksonville. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for the info! Marty

Re: Jacksonville, Davidson County, Tennessee

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 8:32PM GMT
The only Jacksonville in TN is in West TN, Northwest, really, up near Reelfoot Lake. It's quite possible there was a power plant there. But there's certainly nothing by that name, or anything similar, in Davidson Co.

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 11:11PM GMT
Thanks for your input. Marty

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 1:43AM GMT
The village of Old Hickory was originally called Jacksonville. The named was changed because mail was confused with Jacksonville, FL and Jackson, TN. The community was formed when DuPont built a gun powder plant for the govt. WWI was over before the plant was in full scale production. DuPont later built Rayon and Cellophane plants in the area.

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 2:19AM GMT
Thanks for the clarificaton on this name Jacksonville. I have seen it several times over the years on various pieces of data. I appreciate the input. marty

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 5:09AM GMT
Ah! Thank you. Something I didn't know. I will keep that in mind when looking at old records. Thanks!

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 6:18AM GMT
If I remember correctly it pops up on WWI draft cards... Marty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic