Search for content in message boards

Leyden/Leydan/Leaden Family from Co. Clare

Leyden/Leydan/Leaden Family from Co. Clare

Posted: 2 Aug 2004 12:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 9:36AM GMT
Surnames: Leyden, Leydan, Leaden, Naylon, Neylon
Help! Looking for any information on James Leyden/Leydan b. abt 1810 who married Elizabeth Naylon/Neylon abt 1830
Their daughter Mary Anne b. abt 1835 came to Australia with her sister Honora in 1860 and married Frederick Webb in 1861 in Bendigo, Victoria Australia.
Believe she had a sister Bridget who also came to Australia
Seem to have hit a brick wall and would appreciate assistance.
Regards
Sandy in Oz

Re: Leyden/Leydan/Leaden Family from Co. Clare

Posted: 5 Aug 2004 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 8:16AM GMT
Surnames: Leyden
Sandy,

Griffiths Valuation which was done in Co. Clare in 1855 has the following entires for James Leyden by Townland, Civil Parish and Poor Law Union.

Leyden James Clonroad Beg: Ennis Town: Church St Drumcliff Ennis
Leyden James Kilfenora Kilfenora Ennistimon
Leyden James Kilfenora: Kilfenora: Main St Kilfenora Ennistimon

Griffiths was a list prepared for tax purposes of those renting or owning property in Co. Clare during that year. I'm assuming James Leyden remained in the county and didn't move elsewhere.

Eilis O'Hara

Sandy Betts (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 5:38AM GMT
Eilis,

Thank you very much for your information. This gives me a definite point to work from.
And yes, James Leyden did stay in Ireland as there are family records of his children in Australia going home to visit him towards the latter part of his life.

Once again , my thanks.
Sandy

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 7:13AM GMT
Hi My GGG Grandfather James Leyden came to australia with his sister Bridget in 1855, James settled in Port Melborne, I cant find any info on Bridget. they were from county Clare and their father was James I cant find mothers name, and only have info on James 1855 on wards. Could we be related?? many thanks Claire Leyden.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 10:55PM GMT
I don't know if this will help at all, but my Great-Great Grandfather was John Leyden from County Clare. He was born in 1832/1833 and died in 1913 on Kelley's Island, Ohio, USA. He was married to Anna Lynch and they had 11 children. The children, as believed were; Louisa - married to Fred Heiss; Wilhemma (Minnie) - married to Albert Claus, Mary??; Bridget??; Margaret Teresa - married William Schwarzwalder; Anna Rose - married to Daniel McQuarry; Martin - married to Jessie Wilder; Micheal (Mitchell) -married to Margaret Keating; Patrick - married to Bridget O'Rourke; John; and Cornelius Joseph - married to Elena Ogawa. Unfortunately, I don't have any further information about the Bridget who was my Great-Grandfather's sister - to include whether she ever married or anything else. My Great-Grandfather was Michael (Mitchell). I have been in touch with decendents of Cornelius Joseph who subsequently emigrated to the Philippines. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 6:20AM GMT
Surnames: Leyden Burrowes
Hi Sandy - I'm not sure if you're still looking on this site, but I've just found your post. I am descended from Robert Burrowes who married Bridget Leyden (on 12/11/1857, Catholic Chapel, Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia). Bridget named one of her daughters Mary. The informant on Bridget's husband's death certificate was a nephew James WEBB. It seems Bridget and Mary Anne might have been sisters? All best, Helen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic