Search for content in message boards

Looking for Relatives in Norway

Looking for Relatives in Norway

Don White (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bjerkestrand, Peterson, Hvide, Kaas, Myrvik, Rue
People with above names married and settled in southwest Minnesota in the late 1800's

Bjerkestrand's came from Kristiansund.

Hvide's came from Voss.

Bjerkestrand Relatives

Don White (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bjerkestrand, Kaas
Hello to you. I was hoping to get "some" communications with possible contacts to my ancestors, I didn't think it would happen this quickly!

My Grandfather, from my mother's side was John Peterson Bjerkstrand. He was born in Kristiansund on June 28, 1865. As my mother tells it, as a boy they lived on the Peterson farm and then moved to the Bjerkestrand farm and took the name. At the age of 22, he came to America (1887). He settled in the south west corner of Minnesota, on a farm he bought in 1900, 8 miles from the the town of Minneota. He married a lady named Martina Karoline Kaas on January 14 1902. They had seven daughters, one dying in infancy. My mother, Sophie Bell Bjerkestrand, was the 3rd of the six living daughters. She is presently living in Minnesota at the age of 88 years. John Berkestrand passed away at the age of 70, on April 4, 1936.

I understand from his obituary that when he died he was also survived by one brother and one sister in Norway and "14 grandchildren."

I hope this helps. There's not much in the way of history available here.

Thank you for helping.

Warmest Regards,
Don White

Bjerkestrand

Ørnulf Midtskogen (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hello,

A friend of mine is named Bjerkestrand. He lives in Molde south of Kristiansund with a lot of familie in the area the name comes from. Do you have any details (names, dates) on your Bjerkestrand's?

Yours sincerely
Ørnulf Midtskogen

Myrvik

Sharon Shane (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Myrvik, Myrfield

My relatives came to Minnesota in the late 1800's. We know the family name as Myrfield. Are you aware of any connection between Myrvik and Myrfield?

Re: Bjerkestrand

Megan Bjerkestrand (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 4:14AM GMT
hello, Ornulf! I am Megan Bjerkestrand and i live in washington state, in the United States. I'm half Norweigen. It's nice to know that you know some other Bjerkestrands! If you E-mail me back, I have all the information on my Bjerkestrand relatives that I can send you! Nice to hear from you!

Sincerely, Megan Bjerkestrand

Re: Looking for Relatives in Norway

Melika (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2001 11:35AM GMT
Hi! My name is Melika. My grandfather (my fathers' father) was named Johan Bernhard Bjerkstrand Haltvik. Hi died during the second world war. Anyway his mother maidname was Bjerkstrand and they lived in Kristiansund. I don't have so many details, but my aunt does. If you read this, please email me as soon as possible, because this is very interesting to me.

Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely Melika B

Re: Bjerkestrand Relatives

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 8:32PM GMT
I saw your old posting with a reference to the surname Kaas near the village of Minneota in the southwest corner of Minnesota. I am researching (just beginning) this branch of my family. Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 5 Apr 2004 7:43PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 2:00PM GMT
Hello,

Have you seen a copy of "Minneota, a centennial history 1881- 1981?"

A Hilda Bjerkstrand graduated from Minneota High School in 1924. I'd bet your family name appears in that book elsewhere too; there are 247 pages to it.

Mary

Posted: 5 Apr 2004 9:58PM GMT
Hello Mary,
This is the most amazing thing. I just got info from a second cousin (today!) and I have indeed found a connection to John Bjerkestrand through his wife, Martina Kaas. I have a copy of the Minneota book you refer to. Can't wait to start looking through it again. Feel free to email me regarding "Minneota". I have relatives there and all over the area of southwestern MN. Thanks alot! -Karen

Posted: 18 Jun 2009 1:39AM GMT
Ive just pulled up a legder that someone in my family had made with reference to both Kaas and Bjerkestrand from lyon, cty and i would love to share info if you have any of your own as well to share. there is quite a long list but the farthest mine goes back right now is 1753 in ireland. Its part of a wilson tree as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions