Search for content in message boards

Hillman Ontario

Hillman Ontario

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 4:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Great Grandfather Nathaniel J Hillman Married to Martha Johnston buried at West Bothwell Cemetery would be the youngest child born to John and Isabella Hillman If anyone has any information would be greatly appriecated Thanks

Re: Hillman Ontario

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 11:54PM GMT
John's complete family can be found in 1871 Aldborough township census.

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 12:05AM GMT
From Ancestry.ca

Marriage:
Nathaniel Hillman,22, born and living Aldborough Tsp, farmer, s/o John & Isabella Hillman married Martha Johnson, 19, born and living Euphemia Tsp, d/o James & Nancy Johnson, witn: Alexander Johnson & Maud Ellwood, 28 Nov 1888, Mosa Tsp, Middlesex County, Registration # 007646.

Births children of Nathaniel Hillman & Martha Johnson
William James, 16 May 1893, Elgin
Roy J, 3 Apr 1901,Elgin

1901 census Aldborough Elgin West
HILLMAN
Nathaniel, 8 Dec 1865, 35, Ont, farmer
Martha, 20 mar 1871, 30, Ont
George, son, 5 May 1888, 12, Ont
Willie, son, 16 May 1892, 8
Annie, dau, 4 Sep 1894, 6
Roy J, son, 3 Feb 1901

1911 census only Annie and Roy are still at home. New addition of Orville b Nov 1907.
On 1911 census there is a George Hillman of the right age lodging in Elora, Wellington South and occupation is given as sailor. Looks like he is in a boarding house or hotel.

1901 and 1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com

Marriages of child/children of Nathaniel & Martha

Roy Hillman married Annie McGuire 6 June 1922,Kent County
Annie Belle Hillman married Elthein Fillmore, 29 Nov 1911, Elgin County.
William James Hillman married Eliza Morrison, 24 Dec 1918, Elgin County.
Did not find anything re marriage or death on George.

Death:
Martha Hillman, b 20 Mar 1871, housewife, d/o James Johnson b Ireland & Catherine Burke b Scotland, died 12 Apr 1936 of acute myocarditis, chronic nephritis, Informant: William Hillman, son, Bothwell, buried Bothwell, Registration # 019935, Zone, Kent County.
Do not see a death for Nathaniel.
Check this site. It is an index of headstones but the site will tell you how to get in touch with the cemetery.
Nathaniel J and Martha [Johnson] are both listed as being buried in West Bothwell, Zone Tsp, Kent County. There may be more of yours there as well.
There is another Nathaniel Hillman in Essex about the same age but is married to a Catherine Brown.

1881 census Euphemia Bothwell
HILLMAN
John, 56, b England, farmer
Isabella, 53, Scotland
Christie A, 22,
Hattie, 20
Angus, 18
Nathaniel, 16
Alvina, 3
Children all born Ontario

1871 census Aldborough Elgin West
HILLMAN
John, ?, b England, farmer [ink is faded. cannot read age]
Isabella, 47, Scotland
John D, 20
Isabella,18
Susanah, 16
Margret, 14
Christy, 12
Harriot, 10
Angus, 8
Nathaniel, 5
William, 22, married
Margret, 19, married
Henry, 4/12, b Dec

1861 census Aldborough
HILLMAN
John, Eng, farmer,42
Isabella, Scotland, 40
Daniel, Upper Canada [Ont], 20
George, UC,19
Hugh, UC, 17
William, UC, 13
John, UC, 11
Mary, UC,15
Isabella, UC,9
Sussann, UC,6
Margret T, UC,4
Christiann, UC, 2
Harriet E, UC,1
All Baptist

1851 census Mosa, Middlesex
HILLMAN
John, Eng,32, farmer
Isabla, Scotland, 30
Daniel, 12
George, 10
Hugh, 8
Mary, 6
Wm James, 4
John D, 2
Children all born Canada

Birth released to 1909;marriages to 1924 and deaths to 1935.

I can do more lookups re siblings of Nathaniel if you want. Let me know through this site.

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 11:33PM GMT
Surnames: Hillman
My step father Harvey Hillman was a great great grandson of John and Isabella through their son John David. If you check out Bruce Hillman's blog you will find lots of information on the family. The Hillman's emigrated to Canada from Wiltshire England during a time when numerous people left Wiltshire due to a recession. They settled in Elgin, Middlesex, Lambton and Kent Counties. Hope this helps.

http://hillmansofelgin.blogspot.com/2008/02/hillman-family-t...

Posted: 10 Aug 2010 3:22PM GMT
Thanks for information I am new to this site Trying to find my fathers family. I have a John David Hillman married Hannah McKay They had 9 children Henry,William,Martha,Olive,Jennie,Mildred,Ida,Charles,Lloyd.Your Step father Harvey would be the great great grandson to what child? I was recently at Bothwell Cemetery to find my Great Grandfathers Headstone Took photos of other Hillman Came upon Harvey Hillman 1877-1967 Wife Sarah(Bull) 1891-1967 & son William H Hillman 1920-1930. Marriage certicate states parents of Harvey was James&Matilda Hillman. Not sure where he belongs Maybe you can help. Once again Thank you for your reply

Posted: 10 Aug 2010 8:46PM GMT
Hi: John David Hillman and Hannah McKay were my step father's great grandparents. However he always thought they were his grandparents. Story goes, that their daughter Olive Hillman got pregnant by her cousin (sorry I don't have the info handy) and went over to Detroit to have the baby. Lloyd Allan was born in 1907 and then brought back to Canada and raised by his grandparents John and Hannah as if he was their son. He is listed as their son in the 1911 census. A couple of years ago I researched the family for my step father and we sent for Lloyd's birth record and the secret was out. So the line goes George and Susanna (Browne); John and Isabella (May);John David and Hannah (McKay); Olive Hillman and ? Hillman; Lloyd Allan Hillman and Ethel Harvey; Harvey Allan Hillman. Harvey was my step father and was born 1930 and died 2009. Which Hillman are you descended from? Debbie

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 8:39PM GMT
Hi! Thank-You for sharing your story with me. My Line I hope is according to my Aunt who has passed wrote down that her Grandparents were Nathaniel & Martha (Johnston} Hillman They had Five Children George,William James,Annie,Roy & Orville. Four months ago I joined Ancestry.ca To find my Fathers Family. So I have come to the Conclusion That Nathaniel Hillman was the Youngest child born to John & Isabella(May) Hillman His son William James is my Grandfather I never knew him He passed before my parents married.My Grandmother Eliza(Morrison) Hillman I knew.They had six children My Father was the youngest child Robert Nathaniel Hillman. He was born Deaf as was the oldest child 19 years differnce between the two. My Father spent his School age years at Bellville School for the Deaf coming home for Christmas & Summer Holidays.My Father had 4 children I am the oldest.All 4 of his children were not born Deaf as well as my two sons.I am not sure if you are a member of Ancestry if so I have some Headstone Photos Of Hillmans I have John & Hannah also son Henry Bruce also is buried there but Photo did not take so I will be returning. Also need to get to Rodney but the weather so far is too hot to take my Mother she is 76 years old. Hope to go by the end of the month. You are quite Welcome to any Photos I have taken.Bye for now. Brenda

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 8:45PM GMT
what an interesting story. I am in contact with quite a few Hillman researchers. This is an interesting site which explains why the Hillman family left England and came to Canada. They actually were amongst the early folks to leave.
http://www.thedowntonstory.com/
Thanks for the offer for pictures.

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Hillman
Hello, these posts are from a year ago so i am not sure if you will read this.
this is my family tree.

Harvey and Sarah are my Great great grandparents
My grandfather Sandy Hillman was raised by Harvey and Sarah which were his grandparents ( his mother had him at a young age ) which is alice hillman that married the Blythe family.
Sandy ( Clearance Hillman ) grandchild of Harvey and Sarah. My father Craig Hillman ( died 2002) then myself Tiffany Hillman .
I have been looking for more Records on Matilda Hillman. who she might have married.. or been with at some point. More information on Harvey Hillman

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 11:48AM GMT
Hello! Sorry for the delay in repling. Unfortunaly I do not have info on Harvey Hillman Except what I found on Ancestry,1911 Census Canada has Harvey with his Mother Matilda & Grandfather George residence Bothwell also a Marriage to Sarah Bull Oct 3 1912 stating parents of Harvey are James Hellman and Matilda Hillman.I have always found it odd that Harvey cannot be found prior to 1911 always wondered if Harvey was his middle name.Since your Great Grandparents,Grandparents and Father are buried at West Bothwell.My suggestion would be to trying finding an Obit on your Great Grandparents in the Bothwell Times or London Free Press may be of some help.Bye for now Brenda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions