Search for content in message boards

Looking for lost Thompson Family

Looking for lost Thompson Family

Posted: 31 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2003 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Gibson, Baldwin, Puderbaugh, Moon, McCune, Lancaster, Poff
I'm trying to find my great grandfathers family. He and my grandfather were born in the Bahamas. Story has it the Thompson's were loyalist and when the REV WAR started they went to the Bahamas. My gg grandfathers name is possibly Joshua. Does anyone have any knowledge of Thompson's who lived in KY and went to the Bahamas during this period? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicolle

Re: Looking for lost Thompson Family

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 3:36AM GMT
Hi, Nicolle,
Just happened to see your inquiry. I have a Joshua Thompson in my line, born in May 1847 in the Bahamas. I don't know if it's yours, but if you think it is, feel free to email me!
Rebecca Cummings

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: thompson, wier, simonton, turnbull
our thompson loyalist family moved to bahamas... great grandfather born in the bahamas names:
george (robert's grandfather)married margaret simonton
thomas married rachael turnbull
thomas (robert's father) married isabelle wier
robert (born 1821 in bahamas)
william
cecil
ada evelyn
donald
and then I have traced to family (besides my own) up to the 1930's
any links?

Posted: 26 Mar 2014 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Wier
My husband is related to the Isabelle Wier you mention being married to Thomas Thompson. Her father was John Wier and her mother was named Elizabeth. I have both John and Elizabeth's separate wills, and they lived on Watling's Island (now San Salvador) Bahamas. They left land to their daughter, and Thomas Thompson is named executor to his mother-in-law, Elizabeth's, estate. Do you have any other information on Isabelle Wier? There is a bit of a mystery regarding how/why her father, John, came to the Bahamas. He had been listed as having been taken prisoner during the Battle of Brier Creek in the Rev. War and subsequently died aboard a British prison ship. There are even burial records in Charleston and Abbeville. He was even issued a military marker! This being said, his will makes a very clear reference to this not being the case...hmmm. Did he escape the prison ship or did he change sides for his freedom and his life?

Jane Wier
per page

Find a board about a specific topic