Search for content in message boards

Images missing 1900 & 1910 Jersey City ward 9

Images missing 1900 & 1910 Jersey City ward 9

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 1:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know why the Ancestry images for Ward 9, all EDs, are missing? Because my interest, Seth Craig(e), was not located by a volunteer in the 1900 index, I had decided to search page-by-page for a possible error in spelling by the enumerator. It seems other wards are also missing. Seth A. Craige was on Kearney Ave. in the 1893 Jersey City directory but I'm not sure which ward that would have been. His grandmother (or mother), Virginia Craige, and aunt (or sister), Josephine Craige, were living at 3 Willow Court which was in ward 9, district 5, which backed up to the Hudson County Jail. Willow Ct. ran between Pavonia & Newark Ave. It's also possible that Seth A. Craige (1893) may have been Seth Sr. who was born c1854 PA. His son Seth Jr. was born c1877/8 NJ. I'm not sure which one the directory listing was for.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain why the images would be missing for both censuses. If anyone might have access to the 1910 census, I would be very greateful for a lookup for Seth A.,Sr. & Jr., Craige (or any variation).

Thanks in advance for any help..........Joan

Re: Images missing 1900 & 1910 Jersey City ward 9

Carol-Anne Trier (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 2:54PM GMT
Joan,

1910 Federal Census, New Jersey, Hudson County, Jersey City, Ward 8, ED 150 (?), Sheet 11A, living at 43 Astor Place

Craige, Anne H, Head, female, white, 53, single, born Pennsylvania, parents born PA, no occupation, own income

Josephine L, Sister, female, white, 44, single, born NJ, parents born PA, school teacher

Martin, Virginia, sister, female, white, 38, cannot determine what is written for marital status, mother of 1, 1 living, born NJ, parents born PA, no occupation

Alice, niece, female, white, 19, single, born NJ, father born California, mother born NJ, no occupation

There are two lodgers living in the house also.

As for the missing images: There are missing images or images which cannot be accessed for different years, for many ED's on Ancestry. Supposedly they are in the process of rectifying the situation. Supposedly.

Carol-Anne

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 3:10PM GMT
Joan,

Searching for Seth CRAIGE on a different data base produced 1 result in the 1910 census. It was for Puerto Rico, which is not yet loaded and therefore no image to view. Searching for Seth CRAIG produced 3 results in 1910. Two in Texas, one in Nebraska. None of them were born in NJ.

I didn't know if you already had the 1910 census data for his relatives so I sent it anyway. Hope this is of some help.

Carol-Anne

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 3:35PM GMT
Joan,

If you are going to do a page by page search in 1900 census for Ward 9 most of the ED's for Jersey City are listed in "Other Townships" rather than Jersey City. ??????

Carol-Anne

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 4:18PM GMT
Carol-Anne...you have been more help than I had hoped for. Those 3 females - Anne, Josephine & Virginia were the daughters of my gg-aunt Virginia (nee Hill) and husband Albert B. Craige - he died sometime between the 1870 and 1880 censuses. Seth was their brother and besides the sister, Virginia Martin, he's about the only one from this family who may have left descendents. There was another son, Temple F. Craige, and research on him with two
wives, indicates he died childless. Anne & Josephine might have married after the 1910 but their ages as single women in 1910 would say they were past their productive years.

Even though the p.o.b. for those 3 Seths you found in 1910 was wrong, would any of them have been of the right age to be Seth Sr or Jr? Seth Sr. would have been about 56y and Jr. about 32y in 1910. In 1880, Seth Sr. was married to Mary who was then 25y. Besides Jr. they then had a daughter Lillie and I'm looking at the possibility they had more children after the 1880. In particular, I've been looking at an Albert B. Craig in NJ 1920 & 1930 who was born c1885/6. The fact his name is the same as Seth Sr's father is interesting but I can't prove anything without the 1900 when this Albert would have been about 14 or 15 and likely still at home with parents.

You are a super volunteer Carol-Anne and I thank you very, very much. I'll check 1920 for Virginia Martin, hoping she didn't re-marry. It appears the mother of these women was already dead by 1910 or she would have been with her daughters. My family records give very little on the Craiges. Do you have an address of where to write for Hudson County wills? If Virginia did have a will, I might find that her son Seth was already deceased.

Kind regards....Joan Sambrotto, near Buffalo, NY

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 5:43PM GMT
Hi again Carol-Anne...
Yes, I found ward 9 in "Other Townships" and the ward is covered by EDs 140 thru 148. However...can't view any of them. Just for the heck of it, I clicked on some EDs for other wards and get nothing. This really bugs me after the $s paid for the Ancestry sub!

You got me a-searching for the ladies in 1920 but I only found Virginia Martin and daughter Alice and neither shows up in the 1930 index. For Anne & Josephine, I even tried just using their given names and p.o.b. - nothing!

The period between 1910 & 1920 really devastated the population from the flu epidemic. I suppose Anne & Josephine might have relocated to another state or perhaps they did marry in their middle years. And, there's also the possibility they died during the flu epidemic.

Then again, I really don't trust indexes. Sometimes I think there was a bunch of idiots extracting names. Today, I entered just the name "Seth" and I took a look at a Seth
Cramer, just in case the surname was wrong. There's no question that the person was SARAH Cramer, female, mother-in-law, and the wife of this Cramer guy was also SARAH. How the heck did the person extracting the data write the name Seth - certainly a male name - for a female mother-in-law? Oh well...maybe someday I'll get to look at that 1900 and it probably would be best for me to get the film from LDS. Hopefully, the Craiges were still in ward 9 in 1900.

Thanks again for your help and input on my behalf.

Regards.....Joan

PS....Do you know anything about getting Hudson County wills?

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 7:15PM GMT
Joan,

Look at the query and reply 3 down from yours about Hudson County Wills. Maybe that will help.

Carol-Anne

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 8:13PM GMT
Joan,

I took a brief look at the 1900 ED's and think perhaps Kearney Ave is in Ward 8, not 9. Perhaps you can narrow the search using one of the map sites. Slogging through all the images is a time consumer, particularly if you're in the wrong ED.

Also, sometimes there is too much traffic on the site and you cannot access the images. Try again later.

I checked the 1910 Seth Craig census data. The ages are not even close to either of your Seth's.

How close to Buffalo do you live? I'm currently researching a branch of my family from Buffalo and have hit, of course, that brick wall. Problem is there are not many marriage, birth and death records available from before 1900. Frustrrating.

Carol-Anne
Ft Lauderdale, FL

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 10:52PM GMT
Hey Carol-Anne...I am VERY close to Buffalo. In fact,
I'm going into our Library's Special Collection Dept. - maybe by Wednesday - to look for death notices for a person in Chicago. He's willing to pay me for that but for you...what do you need? I have a book that was published of early Buffalo marriages - also deaths 1881 to 1891. Also, I'm a volunteer at the Lib for our Gene Soc...Western NY Genealogical Soc.

Your wish is my command! Who are you looking for? Also, in my personal Library I have some early city directories - 1865, 1867 & 1917. '65 & '67 are great because NY did a state census in 1865. Spec Collections at Bflo has the NYS indexes for 1870, 1900 & 1910 - besides 1850 & 60. Bflo did a State census 1855, 65, 75, 1905, 15 & 25. It's a great help to have the state that falls in between the federal!

If you prefer, for this you can get in touch direct...sambro26@cs.com.

Thanks again for your help.....Joan

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2003 4:24PM GMT
Hi Carol-Anne and...Yippeeeeee! The 1900 images are loading today. I've started the tedious job of looking for Willow Court in ward 9. Now I'm thinking it might not have been in ward 9, where it was in 1870. Ward increases and boundry changes might have effected that street by 1900. I've posted a query for anyone that might have ward maps.

FYI...If I can be of help for Buffalo, I have my own maps that cover 4 periods of ward increases for directions to the census 1850 thru 1920.

I noted the instructions for Surrogate Court records - thanks.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions