Search for content in message boards

HMS RINGDOVE OR SHIP MAGNET 1812 passengers

HMS RINGDOVE OR SHIP MAGNET 1812 passengers

Dianne (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2004 2:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have not found either of these on ISTG.

Surname RATH, ERVIN, HENDERSON, said to have been passengers on Magnet- Belfast to America- when war of 1812 declared. Magnet (T. Drew Master) taken as Admiralty Prize by HMS Ringdove or HMS Emulous and passengers disembarked Halifax July 1812.

Any suggestions from knowledgeable monitors where these passenger manifests may be located.

Re: HMS RINGDOVE OR SHIP MAGNET 1812 passengers

Amanda (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Lightbody, McCulloch
I am also looking for the manifest of the Magnet. I believe a Hugh McCulloch was aboard with his wife and four children. I may try the archives in Halifax NS, where it was part of a war (1812) then it might have had a better chance of survival. Let me know if you have any luck and I shall do the same

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 3:25AM GMT
Not related to this topic- however Amanda I wrote you earlier- re: David Lighbody or Barry Holmes- I need to contact him and have the chance to tell him about his birth mother. Shame we had to discover she has a son after she passed away.

Stephen king

shirstep@rogers.com or phone 705-689-1544 or 705-323-6828 cell

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 10:35AM GMT
Surnames: Ervin Rath Henderson
Did you have any success? One source quotes my gr-gr-gr-grandfather "Robert Ervin came from County Aantrim, Ireland. His first wife, whose maiden name was Ann Rath, died leaving him with 2 sons (Charles was my gr-gr-GF) and 2 daughters. Robert's second wife was Mary Henderson, a bride, when they sailed (from Belfast?) with the children on a vessel built, owned and commanded by Captain Phillip Drew, an American. This was in the summer of 1812". Our family lore includes a story of the ship being confiscated by the British and the family being delivered to Halifax (were they heading for the US?)

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2012 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Lightbody McCulloch
The ship Magnet sailed from Belfast on June 18 1812 headed for New York. It was seized about a month into the voyage and taken to Halifax, NS. The family lore is true!

Robert Ervin age 42
Mary Ervin age 34
Nancy Ervin age 16
Charles Ervin age 9
John Ervin age 6

The writing for the location is a bit tricky. What I can make out it may say Baleyveiny

please email for more info lightbodymassage at hotmail dot com

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 4:01AM GMT
Surnames: Ervin
Thank you for the information! We just returned from Ireland, I was able to locate some info confirming the ship, some detail from british warship records confirming the capture and that the ship was on its way to NY. I have some info re: how to find a manifest, but you may have it already. Robert and Charles are in my direct paternal line. It was amazing to confirm this info! Thanks.

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 8:23AM GMT
That sounds like a wonderful trip.

The records some of which I now have a copy of, are housed at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa. They have been almost inaccessible for the past 25 years. They are fragile and was told by a staff member they cannot be photocopied, microfilmed or photographed but digital photos won't harm them and that is what I have of the passenger list.

If you have copies of your information from the war ship etc. I would be willing to share the ship passenger list in exchange!

You are right, it is amazing to confirm the information.

Amanda

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:21PM GMT
I would certainly be interested to see that passenger list.
I have been tracing my ancestry for the past 40 years and it would be nice to confirm where my ancestor Robert Irvine and his shipmates came from in case that information is available.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 9:48PM GMT
There is a Robert Irvin age 42; Mary age 34; Nancy age 16; Charles age 9; John age 6.

The name is a little hard to figure out. What I can tell its Ballyweaney which is close to Clough and Ballymena, place names that are listed on the same page. It's in Northern Antrim County.

I have attempted to attach the copy of the page from the ship list that has these names. Please let me know if you have any issues viewing it.

Amanda
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic