Search for content in message boards

Brooks Family- African-American

Brooks Family- African-American

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brooks, Young, Henderson, Ousley, Foree
Hi,
I am researching my family history. The surnames Brooks and Young are the two that I am focusing on now. The Brooks family has been traced back to Kentucky. Afterward, it seems the entire family migrated to Grand Chain, Illinois.Howard Ambris Brooks, my gr-gr-gr-grandfather was born in Kentucky in 1830. He married Sara Henderson of Kentucky. Any information would be helpful. Also information on any of his children: Charles Brooks (1800's), Mirriah Brooks (1870), Ella Brooks (1865) or Mary Brooks (1861). I am from the Luther Minor Brooks(1871) line and would be happy to share information.

Best Regards,
Jeri

Re: Brooks Family- African-American

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 11:13PM GMT
Looking at your message I am curious. My grand father who I am researching information on was from Iowa according to my Dad. Which is not consistant with you Brooks information, however, my stepmothers was seaching a few years back and found a connection to the Young family. As best I can tell my Grandfather was born in 1907 somewhere in Iowa before migrating to Wisconsin. I guess the only reason I think there maybe a connection is from the mention of the Young surname. I know very little about my Dad's side of the family and I'm working desparately to find anything I can.

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 1:21AM GMT
Hi,
I am also researching the Brooks family history.Howard
Brooks(b.1830) in Kentucky is my Gr-Gr-Grandfather. I am
interested in any information about him or his wife Sarah
Henderson. Minor L. Brooks(b.1871) is my Gr-Grandfather.
I know little about his wife Serilda(Sarilla) A. Young (b.
1899) in Illinois. I believe their son Herman(Howard?)
Brooks(b.1903) in St. Clair Co.,IL is my Grandfather.He
married Viola Freeman(b.1906) in Illinois in 1921.Herman
Brooks and his son Delois Brooks(my father b.1928) in East
St. Louis, IL. are a complete mystery to me.Any help with
these individuals or families would be greatly welcome.

God Bless,
KennyB

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
Well hello cousin!!
Minor and Sarilla are my g-g-grandparents. My grandfather and Tilford Brooks, son of Odie Brooks told me lots of stories of a very intelligent and business savvy Sarilla. My email address is c_jvillarreal@msn.com and my name is Jeri but most of my family knows me by my middle name, Leslie. I would be happy to share all I know. I even have some photos (it may take me a while to dig them out and scan them, but I have them)

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 7:51PM GMT
Hi,

Your father, Delois, was my mom's brother. Viola and Howard were my grandparents. This is an old post I stumbled on-not sure if you still check messages, but if so please feel free to contact me.

Maria Brooks-Swims

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 7:51PM GMT
Hi,

Your father, Delois, was my mom's brother. Viola and Howard were my grandparents. This is an old post I stumbled on-not sure if you still check messages, but if so please feel free to contact me.

Maria Brooks-Swims

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 12:48AM GMT
My great grandmother name was Dora Alice Brooks. She was born in southeast alabama, born 1860. I believe she married a brooks.
Her maiden name was Wilkerson or Jones and her mother name was lizzie or Elizabeth born 1845.
I have several last names for her. Elizabeth was my great-great grandmother.
I want to know how Dora became a brooks or was a brooks.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 1:55AM GMT
I am also query about my family tree. My grandfather was Howard Brooks and I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but my grandmother Viola Brooks who lived in East St. Louis on Market street was very well known. I want to trace my family tree and maybe we can help each other. You can coorespond with me at ernelleoliver@ymail.com, hope to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic