Search for content in message boards

STINNETT, KARR

STINNETT, KARR

Chuck Stinnett (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking information concerning Benjamin Franklin STINNETT and his wife, the former Jane KARR, who reportedly settled in Todd County, Ky., c. 1810, as well as one of their sons, Noel Neal STINNETT (Oct. 20, 1815-c. 1889). I'm specifically interested in verifying and elaborating on information that Benjamin was born in Ireland; that his wife, Jane, was born at sea; and where Noel is buried.

The following is excerpted from a writing by my father, Charles Dunn STINNETT, that includes information he says was obtained from a family bible that is not in our possession. My own comments are included in brackets:

"Benjamin Franklin Stinnett ... was the son of a William Stinnett, of which nothing is known except that he was likely born sometime around 1755, perhaps a little earlier...

"Great-great-grandfather Benjamin Franklin Stinnett was born in Ireland in 1777 and became the first known ancestor [of our line of the family] to come to America. Not much is known about when he came, but apparently his family did settle in Virginia, where he married Jane Karr, daughter of James and Mollie Karr, on July 13, 1807. Jane was born on the ocean in 1780 and married at age 27 to Benjamin, who was 30...

"Benjamin and Jane eventually came to Todd County, Kentucky, and the Stinnett clan was born, lived and died in that area during the period from about 1810 to the 1880s when [Benjamin's grandsons] Fidella ... Lee [short for Leander] and others began to move out and settle other parts of the country. Benjamin died at age 75 on September 2, 1852 and Jane, also at age 75 on June 15, 1855. Both are buried in the Old Mt. Carmel Cemetery near Allegre, Kentucky, according to information in the History of Evansville and Vanderburgh County, Indiana, Volume II, page 82, and Book A, page 32, Todd County marriages."

STINNETT

Brad Segers (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have seen a copy of your father's book and in it I found good information on his family.

I also descend from the Stinnett family. Benjamin Franklin STINNETT's sister, Kissy married Simpson BERRY and this is my line. Jerusha was Benjamin and Kissy's mother. I think their father was Benjamin who evidently died before 1800 as Jerusha is listed as the head of her own household in the Rutherford County, NC census. She was Jerusha BERRY (parents are John & Jemima BERRY--will in Culpeper County, VA).

I also descend from the WINDERS family and I know Noel STINNETT married Margaret WINDERS. According to his tombstone Noel died 08 Jan 1895. He is buried in the Providence Cemetery near Elkton (at Providence United Methodist church). Hope this helps.

Yours truly,

Brad Segers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions