Search for content in message boards

Origin of Landrum name - theory

Origin of Landrum name - theory

Posted: 7 May 2003 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Landrum Lendrum Comyn
Can anyone tell me if Mr Shedd's published theory is still entertained, exploded, or verified?

The Landrum Family of Fayette County, Georgia, Joel P Shedd, 1972, Georgia: Moore & Moore

p 42 Professor Alan C Lendrum…Edinburgh, Scotland…[states that] Landrum is almost certainly a variant spelling of the Scottish family name Lendrum…the Lendrums were originally of the Comyn family, but that when Robert Bruce defeated the Comyns the name was banned, and they took the name, Lendrum, from a place called "Lendurm" in northeast Scotland.

p 42: Lendrum is Celtic for "moor of the ridge"...or it means "broad ridge" from leathan druin.

p 48 a branch of the Comyn family adopted the name Lendrum

Re: Origin of Landrum name - theory

Maxine Noonan (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2003 3:19PM GMT
I am trying to trace the Landrum family and not having much luck. I have been told they came from Ireland but may have just sailed from there. The story I have been told is a man, his wife and 3 sons came to US. The wife died at sea and the rest landed in Virginia. The sons were: Ship (probably Shephard), Thomas and Robert. I am from the Robert's family. I have Robert born about 1799-1800 and married Lucretia Wilson. I would really like to find out who Robert's parents were and when they sailed for US. If you have any info I would love to have it.

Posted: 26 Feb 2006 10:26PM GMT
I could not find the name Landrum in Ireland or Scotland. Some reference to a Lewis Landrum coming to the Virginia Colony in the 1700 with two sons, Robert and Thomas. I descend from Thomas. The Landrum name if found no where in the world today except the USA and one small branch in Australia. Theory is they fought on the wrong side of a Scottish king from the village of Landbreth, Scotland and took this surname to survive.

Harry McDonald

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 1:55AM GMT
I am sorry that this was posted so long ago, and this is my first try in this web-site. I am a "Shedd", whose cousin was Joel P. Shedd, and I do have his printed and "published" accounts titled "The Shedd Family of the Southern States-Descended from James Shed of Loudoun County, Virginia". Joel P. Shedd (to whom I was fortunate enough to have met in my youth) sent it to members of the Shedd family in 1981. I hope this helps you in your quest, and if you have nay further questions that I hopefully can answer for you, please do not hesitate.

Best Wishes,
A Shedd

Posted: 12 Aug 2008 9:14PM GMT
HI
THERE ARE QUITE A FEW LANDRUMS THAT I KNOW OF ALL LIVING IN MERSEYSIDE UNITED KINGDOM, AND THE NAME LANDRUM I BELEIVE IS FROM THE NAME LUNDSTRUM FROM NORWAY,

REGARDS PETER JOHN LANDRUM UK

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 4:31AM GMT
Lendrum has its origins in the Scottish Highland of Turiff, Aberdeenshire. The farm and croft still exist and there is a Lendrum Inn near by.

The earliest Lendrums to arrive in America, in the late 1600’s, were John and James. They settled in Essex Co., VA. Within one generation the name had changed to Landrum.

In the 1700’s, the Irish Landrums arrive in Virginia. Were they Scotch-Irish? I don’t know; that is something you would have to prove.

As far as Shedd’s story of a Comyn connection, no one has been able to document his claim.

Posted: 6 May 2013 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Shedd
Looking for a copy of The Shedd Family of the Southern States Descended from James Shed of Loudoun County, Virginia" by Joel P. Shedd. If anyone knows where I can obtain a copy please let me know. thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions