Search for content in message boards

Lear Owens and John Pettigrew

Lear Owens and John Pettigrew

Posted: 24 Sep 2000 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Apr 2006 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Pettigrew
does anyone have any information on Lear Owens and John Pettigrew. I am hitting a brick wall in this area. my paper shows they were married and lived in orange,co,nc and had sons, Ebenezer,Edwin, and Bennet . My gr. grndmother, mary jane Pettigrew was their gr.gr. granddaughter according to what I have, but cannot substantiate this. if you have some info, please email me. thanks a lot

OWENS/PETTIGREW

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2005 4:47AM GMT
I have information on Lera OWENS, born unknown, married a Pettigrew. She is the daughter of Only, born 1745, and Sara LAYFIELD, born 1744/45, OWENS.

Descendants of Only Owens

Generation No. 1

1. ONLY4 OWENS (PETER3, MOSES2, THOMAS1) was born August 13, 1745 in Somerset County, Maryland, and died 1809 in Orange County, North Carolina. He married SARAH LAYFIELD, daughter of GEORGE LAYFIELD and BETTY ?. She was born January 24, 1744/45.

Children of ONLY OWENS and SARAH LAYFIELD are:
i. ELIZABETH5 OWENS, m. LINTO.
ii. JOHN OWENS.
iii. LAVINIA OWENS, m. PETTIGREW.
iv. LERA OWENS, m. PETTIGREW.
v. NANCY OWENS, m. JENKINS.
vi. THOMAS OWENS.
vii. BELITHA OWENS, b. 1767, Worcester County, Maryland; d. September 16, 1842, Humphreys County, Tennessee; m. (1) MARY ENNIS; b. Bef. 1792, Tennessee; d. January 18; m. (2) ELIZABRTH ROBERTS; m. (3) REBECCA PIERCE.
viii. SAMUEL OWENS, b. 1770, Orange County, North Carolina; d. Bef. 1850; m. TYRATIA TYRACHIA CASH, September 29, 1803, Orange County, North Carokina; b. 1774, Orange County, North Carolina; d. Aft. 1850.

If this helps, PLEASE contact me!!

Michael Owens

Owen /Pettigrew to Michael Owens

Posted: 26 Sep 2000 8:45AM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2002 3:39PM GMT
michael, thanks so much for your reply and help.I have that Lear(Lera?) and John Pettigrew (supposed to be son of James Jr. Pettigrew and Eliz. Long) married in or. co. nc and had Ebenezer, Edwin and Bennet, who would be I guess my gr.gr.gr. uncles. The son Eben. is shown to have married Lucinda Smith and they show to have had Edwin (E.)Pettigrew who would be my gr. gr. grandfather. My gr. grandmother was Mary Jane, born to Edwin and Rebecca Robinson. I keep finding conflicting info on internet. some say Leah Blackwell was married to an unknown Pett. and had Edwin and Bennet, same years as I have for mine,etc. If you know which is correct, holler at me. thanks alot.

Lear (Lera) (Leah) Owens

Posted: 10 Jan 2001 7:44PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2001 12:20AM GMT
My great grandmother was Lera (some records show Leah or Lear) Pettigrew, the daughter of Ebenezer Pettigrew and Lucinda Smith, who married Nimrod Gaines. Some posts say Leah Blackwell was her mother - others say Leah Owens. I am confused. Can you shed some light on this mystery? Thanks, Patty Hulce. You can e mail me at phulce@netscape.net.

John(James?) Pettigrew

S. Cannell (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2001 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2006 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Owens, Pettigrew
I think her name was Lear Owens and I have information on the Pettigrew line she married into. She married John(James?) Pettigrew B: 1773 m: 25 Feb 1800 D: 6 Nov 1826 Baldwin Co, GA. I decend through their son Ebenezer Pettigrew B: Abt 1795 Cartersville, GA married to Margaret Ann McGee. I would like to get information on the Owens family.

Robert L. Pettigrew

Mary Cannell Porter (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2001 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2006 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Owens, Pettigrew
Hi, Sis!!! I just found a letter from Robert L. Pettigrew (probably deceased by now) dated 1973. This may shed some light on the Lear/Leah controversy. This is what he has to say about Lear Owens Pettigrew. "In 1956 Col. Mose [Pettigrew] wrote the Granville County Clerk asking for a search of records for information about James Pettigrew around 1758, obviously having in mind James Sr's residency there. And, incidentally, he asked for any records of Pettigrew marriages. He received back certified information among which was listed the marriage of John Pettigrew to Lear Owens recorded Feb. 25, 1800. Also recorded the marriages of James, Jr's sons James and Charles. . . . Not only is this name Lear, an odd one but it definitely ties into Ebenezer's family. His oldest daughter married Nimrod Gaines, died in 1900 and was born in 1824. (The earlier date 1818 derived from certain census records is, I am sure, wrong). I think I recall seeing her once, ill and crippled with "rhumetiz", but I know she was always known as Aunt Lear. Frank Hughes and his mother and my father used to talk a lot about Uncle Nimrod and Aunt Lear while we were on his ranch, 1901-02. His mother was Lear's sister. I do not recall ever seeing the name in writing or wondering much about it except that it was an odd name for a woman. When I started this family work I just assumed the real name was Leah and it was simply mispronounced. It now seems obvious that Ebenezer named his first daughter for his mother, Lear Owens Pettigrew. Even though Aunt Lear's real name may have been Leah the implication is still there. And Lear Owens' real name may also have been Leah and she may have been called Lear (mispronounced) which may have gotten into the records as such.

Re: OWENS/PETTIGREW......(GAINES)

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2006 7:30AM GMT
Surnames: Gaines, Pettigrew
Dear Mary,
I as well have a gggreat grandfather by the name of Nimrod GAINES, having been married to a woman by the name of Leah..(Pettigrew) ,1824.....either lived in, born, in or died at Salem,,,Dent...Missiouri. I am trying to find the relationship back to the Cherokee, Choctaw, and or Creek Indian Nation.

Mary Porter (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2006 9:19PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2006 6:43AM GMT
Surnames: Gaines, Owens
Sorry - I just noticed your response to my much earlier message. Nimrod Gaines is off my direct line but I would like any info you have about him - birthdate and place, etc. Is your Native American line through the Gaines or through the Owens line? I'm sorry but I don't have any info about any of my lines going back to Native American ancestry.
Thanks for your message!
Mary

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2006 6:44AM GMT
Surnames: Gaines, Pettigrew
Hello Mary,
Thanks for your response...I have a fair amount of info. on or of

WILLIAN NIMROD GAINES
(b.) 2-2-1824 in Monroe County TN. (d.) 8-30-1912; (m.) Leah ( Pettigrew)...(Date I'm not sure yet). (b.) 10-9-1824; Together they had 10- children...one of which ( James Taylor Gaines )...the 5-th child.
I'm not sure as to whether you know her father's name is Absolum (sp.) Pettigrew. I have searched back on the Pettigrew sid quite aways...maybe you have as well.
Write me at my E-mail address...which is
sinopahmt@yahoo.com

I would greatly apprecaite hearing from you again...I will give you my name and address if you like...let me know
CODY

maryp137 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2006 1:45AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2006 6:44AM GMT
Surnames: Pettigrew, Smith
Hi Cody,
My Leah L. Pettigrew - same birthdate that you have - was born in Monroe County, Tenn. She was the daughter of Ebenezer Pettigrew and Lucinda Smith. She married Nimrod Gaines in 1848 and died 20 Jan 1900 in Dent County, Missouri. There are no Absolum Pettigrews on my line that I know of. Here's my source -hope this helps.
Mary
Family Data Collection - Individual Records Record

Edmund West, comp. Family Data Collection - Individual Records. [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.

Name: Leah L Pettigrew Spouse: Nimrod Gaines Parents: Ebenezer Pettigrew , Lucinda Smith Birth Place: Monroe Co, TN Birth Date: 9 October 1824 Marriage Date: 1848 Death Place: Dent Co, MO Death Date: 20 January 1900
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions