Search for content in message boards

Alfred Hemenway/Hemingway

Alfred Hemenway/Hemingway

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 12:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on Alfred Hemenway who is listed in the 1869 census in Polk County with his wife Eunice. I found them in the 1850 census living in Illinois with three children, John R., William A., and Sarah R. All except Sarah are listed as born in PA. Alfred abt. 1821, Eunice abt. 1820, John abt. 1843, William abt. 1844, and Sarah born in WI.
I believe this family is connected to my Hemenway family in PA. The names of the children are the same as many of my Hemenway line in the 1800's. I think Alfred could be one of the children we haven't been able to find so far.
Any information at all would be most appreciated.
Nancy

Re: Alfred Hemenway/Hemingway

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 1:42AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2005 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Hemenway
Nancy, I have an ancestor named Mary Hemenway (born 1858) and her brother is Alfred Wellington Hemenway (born 1861). Both were born in Minnesota according to my records, but were hovering back and forth between Minnesota and Wisconsin and eventually both moved with their spouses to Washington state around 1898-1899. Both of their death certificates list parents as "A.W. Hemenway" and "Eunice Dull" as their parents and both parents were born in Pennsylvania. I have been incredibly stumped trying to find these parents. Perhaps AW and Eunice are a missing link between my brick wall and yours?

Nancy Taft (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2005 7:05PM GMT
Lisa,
I am having some problems with my computer, but as soon as I get it straighten out I will contact you. I believe your Hemenway's are connected to mine. From what I have found so far I think that Alfred was either a brother or a cousin to my 3x's great grandfather. Hopefully I can provide you with some information that will help with the brick wall.
Nancy

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 5:06PM GMT
Lisa,
Do you know if your A.W. Hemenway and Eunice Dull had children other than your Alfred and Mary? I have an Alfred Hemenway and wife Eunice, both born in PA, with children William, John and Sarah.
Please email me and perhaps we can figure this out.
Nancy

Lisa Harrington (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2005 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: Hemenway/Dull
Hi Nancy,

Sorry, but the only two children I am aware of are Alfred and Mary. I have been totally stumped on this family line. Both the Hemenway and Dull lines are giving me trouble as I can't connect anyone in a concrete way yet.

Lisa

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 4:56PM GMT
Hi Nancy,
It's been awhile since our communication but I have been digging deeper into the family you found in 1860 Census lately in an effort to confirm or refute connection to my Alfred Hemenway/Eunice Dull. I have two leads on one of the daughters in the family that I am following up on. Also, I requested a Civil War pension file from NARA for the son named John Riley Hemenway and it lists his place of birth as Bradford County, PA. Perhaps you have discovered more since your last post?

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 12:43AM GMT
At the time of John Riley Hemenway's birth there was only one Hemenway line in Bradford County PA. I, as well as other family members, have done extensive research on this line and the information we have found is still limited. I did find that Alfred is not a son of John Hemenway, my gggrandfather. Alfred would have to be a son of either Levi or William, John's brothers.
Nancy

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 4:15AM GMT
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your reply. I am researching from Seattle so doing most research on line. There is a Joseph Hemenway buried in Trinket Cemetery in North Ghent - born 1805, died 1883 with spouse Pamelia(born 1804, died 1893). I found them on findagrave.com website when searching for PA Hemenway burials. Do these people show up in your Bradford Co. PA Hemenway's with a connection? Also, I am at a loss on a connection with Levi or William, your gggrandfather's brothers...no information prior to Alfred at all so I appreciate the leads. I'll keep researching and will keep you in mind if I find anything concrete re: Alfred that connects. However, doesn't sound promising given you and others have done extensive research already.

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 1:18AM GMT
Joseph as well as all the other Hemenway's from Bradford county PA on findagrave.com are all related. Joseph was the youngest son of Thaddeus Hemenway. Joseph had no boys before 1830. Thaddeus' sons Levi, William and John also had families in Bradford county. After 1830 there are no records of the three. John is my ggggrandfather and I have his children's names from his daughter's bible. In the census of 1830 William and Levi together have 6 male and 3 female children. I really believe Alfred was one of them. It has just been impossible to prove it.
Do you have death dates or places for Alfred and Eunice?

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 2:36AM GMT
Unfortunately, I don't have dates or places of death for Alfred or Eunice. I'm hoping the leads I have on a couple of the children listed in the 1860 Wisconsin census will lead to some more information - as did son Joseph's Civil War pension file lead me to the Bradford County place of birth for him. I've thought about diverting some attention off to Eunice's family, Dull, but I have nothing on her other than year of birth 1821 and that she was born in PA. I'm going to keep working Alfred and Eunice from both ends and will keep in touch with anything that I find promising. There are numerous other Hemenway's in Wisconsin/Minnesota that if traced back might form some clues...but right now that feels like reaching at straws. The key, as you've already nailed it no doubt, is finding Alfred and/or Eunice alive in an 1870 Federal census, a state census in the odd years, or burial/death records. One ohter thought I had...the bible you reference...do you know what religious affiliation the family had? Perhaps there are church records? Keep in touch with updates and I will do the same. As I gather info about Alfred and Eunice's children, would you like me to pass along?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions