Search for content in message boards

Gardner-Duncan Family of Loudoun, Va.

Gardner-Duncan Family of Loudoun, Va.

Posted: 1 Jan 2006 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duncan, Dunkin, Gardner, Garner
Variations of Gardner: Garner, Gardiner, Gardener. Variation of Duncan: Dunkin

I'm not kin but wanted to share this. Would also like to hear from anyone who has info about property and work of Lewis Gardner (d. about 1851), William H. Gardner (d. 1892), or George Duncan (d. 1855). They were potters who likely worked south of Leesburg.

Lewis Gardner's full name was Charles Lewis Gardner. Records show "Charles L. Gardner," "Charles Lewis Gardner," "Lewis Gardner" and "L. Gardner" with "Garner" as the most common variation.

Lewis was born between 1776 and 1780 and married Nancy Duncan in 1800. Records also show Nancy as "Ann." Nancy was the daughter of Charles Duncan (d. 1807) and Susannah Duncan (d. 1827) of Loudoun. Their name is more often recorded as "Dunkin." Among Charles and Susannah's other children were George, Coleman, Mason, Benjamin, Henry, Catherine, Susannah, William and Charles.

Lewis and Nancy had at least three children, Charles L. Gardner (b. about 1805), Elizabeth Ann Gardner (b. about 1803) and William H. Gardner (b. about 1816). Charles L. married Elizabeth Moffett (also "Moffatt" and "Moffitt"), known as "Betsey," in 1828. Elizabeth Ann married Matthew Orrison in 1824.

Nancy Duncan Gardner likely died around 1818 and is referred to as "deceased" in her mother's will in 1827.

Her brother, George Duncan, and her son, William Gardner, are identified in later census records as potters. It is strongly believed that her husband, Lewis Gardner, was also a potter whose maker's mark may have appeared as "L. Gardner."

Land records show property along or near Broad Run owned between 1839 and 1852 by Lewis and then by William. It is very likely Lewis rented land near Sycolin Creek (also recorded as "Secolin Run") from the 1810s to the 1830s.

There is no record of George Duncan or William H. Gardner marrying or having children. Among the grandchildren of Lewis Gardner are James L. Gardner (son of Charles L. and Bestey) who married Susan Muse, and Franklin Orrison (son of Elizabeth and Matthew).

[Sources for the above include census records, books at the Balch Library in Leesburg, and Loudoun wills, deeds, marriage, death, court and tax records.]

This not my family but I hope it might be helpful to yours. If you have info on their land or their pottery, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks and good luck!

Re: Gardner-Duncan Family of Loudoun, Va.

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Amy,

I just saw your postting here on Rootsweb, & was just woulding if the two Gardner fit into what you got there.

Ella Marish GARDNER would coming off of one of my lines the Poteet, & then I have a tons of Duncan but do not remember if any was married to any Gardner's here.

One question here Amy, where is Leeburg, because out of all my Gardners that I have, they are coming out of New York State.

Amy I would give you more information, but at this time my laptop is down & so I have to go to the City Library just to check all my E-Mail.

I like what you put on line here, if I remember right, I think I do recal a Charles Lewis Gardner, & Charles Duncan & a Susannah Duncan here to. Can you, if you have it on hand there, when you think Charles Duncan was born.

One more question here Amy, was this everything that you postted here or was there more, if there is more I would love to see it.

Amy you can scan down load & E-Mail this stuff at my E-Mail Address here, which is cobb1959@gmail.com

Amy, I have listed two Gardners below for you to look at

Amy I am glad I got to see this & look at it.

Amy, please have a very nice day & thanks

Clarence Cobb
========================================

Nathan J. GARDNER
Given Name: Nathan J.
Surname: Gardner
Sex: M

Marriage 1 Amanda BROWNFIELD b: 6-10-1848 in Missouri
Married: 4-0-1870
=========================================
=========================================

Ella Marish GARDNER