Search for content in message boards

Regan/Reagan Family in Fall River, Bristol Co, MA

Regan/Reagan Family in Fall River, Bristol Co, MA

Maureen Regan (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Regan, Reagan
Regan/Reagan family members in Fall River, Bristol Co, MA. One ancester: John F. Regan, wife Johanna. His father: Michael Regan. His father: Robert Regan. One of above may have been a policeman (?Sargent) involved in the Lizzie Borden case (by family stories) Thanks

Genealogy response

Paula Guerena (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Regan
Michael O'Regan of ST. Johns Newfoundland Canada was a Policeman/Fireman and lived at 31 Prescott in 1898. I found this at http://www.wordplay.com/ngb/1898/98stjohns02.htm. I hope this gives you something.

I Need information regarding the following:
Cornelius O'Regan married to Mary Connors, both born in Ireland, moved to ST. Johns, Newfoundland, CDA prior to 1854, with last know address as 7 Pleasant. Cornelius was a shoemaker.--Thomas J. Regan SR. (son of Cornelius & Mary) married Ellen O'Neill (Neil)in Boston May 2nd 1882. They resided in Boston & moved to Brockton, Mass between 1882-1900--- Thomas J.Regan Jr., (son of Thomas Sr. & Ellen Neil)resided in Brockton Mass and married Clara Roux.

Re: REGAN, REAGAN, O'REGAN, Fall River, Bristol Co, MA

Posted: 2 Aug 2001 6:37AM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2001 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: REGAN, REAGAN, O'REGAN, REYNOLDS, HALPIN, SULLIVAN, DWYER, BOURREL
I think there may be some connection between your Fall River Regan family and my own Fall River O'Regan family.

Although mine is the family of my grandmother, I don't know it very well. I include a partial tree that I have put together based on an interview of one of my aunts some years ago:

1 Robert O'Regan
.. 2 William J. O'Regan d: in Fall River, MA
...... +Eliza Reynolds b: in London, England d: in Fall River, MA
...... 3 William Francis O'Regan b: 08 May 1888 in Fall River, MA d: September 1982 in Fall River, MA Fact 1: LDS Family History Social Security Death Index
.......... +Jane b: 12 February 1909 d: August 1988 in Fall River, MA
...... 3 Agnes O'Regan b: 29 June 1891 in Fall River, MA d: December 1964 in Fall River, MA Fact 1: SS # 016-22-5664
.......... +John Halpin b: Abt. 1891 d: in Fall River, MA
...... 3 Amelia O'Regan b: 19 January 1901 in Fall River, MA d: February 1976 in Middleborough, MA
.......... +John H. Sullivan d: in Middleborough, MA
.. 2 James O'Regan
.. 2 Michael O'Regan b: in Fall River, MA Fact 1: Civil War veteran; awarded a Purple Heart.
.. 2 Joseph O'Regan Fact 1: Was a bartender in Fall River, MA Fact 2: Served as an alderman for the City of Fall River
...... +Catherine Dwyer
...... 3 Robert O'Regan
.......... +Beatrice Bourrel m: 1902 in St. Anne's Church, Fall River, MA
.. 2 Thomas O'Regan Fact 1: Thomas was a baker. Worked with Liza Reynolds O'Regan.
I do not know for a fact the first name of my great grandfather. I do know that in my family, there is also the tale of someone in the family having been involved in some way with the Lizzie Borden case.

I can be reached at evelynsq@pacbell.net.

Thanks.

Robert Squires

Rosemary Regan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2001 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2001 3:50PM GMT
There could very well be a connection--one of our ?great?great-uncles was supposed to be on the Fall River police force (a sergeant maybe?) during that case. I'm going to forward this message to our main family historian and see if he has any more infor to pass on to you. His email is PTRegan@aol.com

Thank you for your response! Hope to get more exchanges going!
Rosemary

Posted: 26 Mar 2006 1:42PM GMT
I'll bet I know the ancestor that was involved.
Using a book called Yesterday in Old River - by Paul Dennis Hoffman

It's probably not one of your male ancestors, but a female ancestor.

Hannah Reagan (Howe) 1848-1924
She was one of two female police officers in 1892, a matron at the Fall River city jail. Lizzie stayed with Hannah at the Fall River City jail, rather than in a regular jail cell because there were no jail cells good enough for a lady of her class.
She actually played a role in the case, because she reported to police that she heard the sisters arguing. She also told the newspapers, I think.
There is more info and a pic in Hoffman's book.
Also, the Borden website, www.lizzieandrewborden.com probably also has info.

Jessie

Robert J Squires (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2006 6:44PM GMT
Surnames: O'Regan, Halpin, Reynolds
Thank you. This is an excellent lead! - Bob Squires

Re: Regan/Reagan Family in Fall River, Bristol Co, MA

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 8:50PM GMT
Please contact me and/or look at one of my trees Kelly Reagan family tree. I believe that your family is in my tree. Sally Reagan (reagansally@yahoo.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions