Beebe or Clark, Plainfield, 1858

Posted: 9 Apr 2002 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beebe, Clark
This post was deleted by the author on 1 Dec 2012 11:44PM GMT

Re: Beebe or Clark, Plainfield, 1858

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:40PM GMT
I have a Susan Clark Beebe in Kaneville IL - born about 1800 - does that sound right?

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: Beebe, Bebee, Clark
That is the right woman. Is your information from a census record, or some other record? Is she an ancestor of yours? Susan was daughter of Jesse Clark of Jefferson County, NY. I am trying to find more info on her husband, William Beebe/Bebee. I don't know whether William came from New York to Illinois or whether he died in New York. Susan moved from Illinois to Iowa with one of her sons, Warren Bebee/Beebe, and she died in Iowa. What further info do you have on her? Sara

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 6:43PM GMT
I have this from family records. She is an ancestor of my husbands. Her son Warren was my husband's great-great grandfather. William came from New York and died in Iowa in 1971 according to what I have. Susan was born in about 1803 according to the 1870 census, died 17 Dec 1879 and is buried in the Vegors Cemetery in Webster County, Iowa. The cemetery most people associate it with the town of Homer (which is in Hamilton County). However the cemetery (which is 1 mile east and 3 1/2 south of Homer) is actually in Webster County. I do not have a photo of the gravestone, though. I do have a photo of her son Warren's graveson

I appreciate anything more you have on her ancestry - I did not have her father's name. do you have his birth/death dates or anything on her mother?

Glad to help - let me know if you want the pics on Warren or anything on his siblings (William and Susan's children).

How are you related?

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Bebee, Beebe, Clark
Hi. I assume you mean 1871 for William Beebe's death. OK, your info is from family records. William probably died in Webster County, Iowa, too. Well, yes, I am related. I am certain how I am related to Susan Clark Beebe, and I have much information on her ancestors, which go back through New York state to Rhode Island. I am going to check my Ancestry tree and see how much Clark info I have put into it. Most recently people had trouble accessing my tree in Ancestry. Give me your email address outside of Ancestry. I am a descendant of Sarah Clark, Susan Clark's first cousin. Interestingly, my Sarah Clark married a man named John Bebee in Jefferson County, New York. This John Bebee is a brick wall of mine. However, I know that in the town of Lorraine in Jefferson County, New York, Sarah Clark married a John Bebee and Susan Clark married a William Bebee. I bet that John and William were at least first cousins and maybe brothers. So since John has been a brick wall I have been looking into William, hoping to find parents on him. My John and Sarah Clark Bebee and their children left Jeff Co. NY in 1843 and relocated to DeKalb County, Illinois, via the Great Lakes. John Bebee unfortunately died in 1848. Sarah lived on until 1876 in Sycamore, Ill.

Do you have anything more on William Bebee other than a record of his death in Iowa in 1871? To find your William and Susan Clark Bebee in the census, look at 1830, 1840, and 1850 in Jefferson County, New York, town of Lorraine. (In New York, a "town" is more like what we call a "township" in the midwest.) My Sarah Clark was a daughter of John and Eliff Calkins Clark. Your Susan Clark was a daughter of Jesse Clark and I have his wife's name somewhere but not handy just now! There were three Clark brothers in Lorraine, Jefferson County, New York. Their names were John, Jesse, and Nathaniel Clark. All were born in Richmond, Rhode Island, the sons of Capt. John Clarke (Rev War) and his wife Sarah Gardiner. The three brothers went by Clark without the "e" in Jefferson County. Same family, though, for certain. Sarah Gardiner was daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah Pierce Gardiner of South Kingstorn, R.I. After the Rev. War, Capt. John and Sarah Gardiner Clark relocated to the area of Amsterdam, NY. The parents and the other children stayed in Amsterdam, NY, area, but around 1803 the three sons John, Jesse, and Nathaniel moved west and north in NY state to Jefferson County ("finding their way from Rome (NY) via marked trees"). Jesse Clark b. 17 May 1770 in Richmond, RI; died 5 January 1858 at Lorraine, NY. Jesse had a will. Susan is named in the will, but the will states mistakenly that she lived in Plainfield, Wisconsin, but we know that it was Plainfield, Illinois instead. Look online to see if you can find this book "The Clarke Families of Rhode Island" by George Austin Morrison Jr. Our Capt. John Clarke shown on page 64, and you can move backwards from him to our direct Clarke immigrant
who was Thomas Clarke b. in Westhorpe, Suffolk Co., England in 1605 and died March 31, 1674 at Newport, Rhode Island. Send me your email outside of Ancestry and you can probably google "Capt. John Clarke" and "Revolutionary War" also google Gardiner family of Rhode Island.
Sara

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 8:28PM GMT
Look for my tree under "Sara Gaarde Family Tree" on Ancestry and then search in my tree for John Clark. He is the brother of Jesse Clark. Please let me know if you can get into my tree or not.

I am sorry to say that I don't think I have the name of Jesse Clark's wife. She died before 1850, because in the 1850 Lorraine census Jesse Clark age 80 is living in the home of his son-in-law and daughter, William and Susan "Beebee."
(Daughter Triphena Beebee married a man surnamed Gordon.)

Also, I find in 1870 census of Kaneville in Kane County, Illinois, Warren Beebe and wife Amelia and living in their house is Susan Beebe age 67. So they were still in Illinois for 1870 census and also William Beebe is not listed in 1870 census with them.

I have not been able to find William Beebe, Susan Beebe, or Warren Beebe anywhere in 1860 census. Have you found them in 1860? I think they moved from New York to Illinois sometime in the 1850's.

I looked up Jesse in the Morrison book, and unfortunately his wife's name is not listed there. However, listed with Jesse is the name of one of his sons -- Nathaniel Perkins Clark who was born 3 August 1797 that would be back in Montgomery County, NY. Now that "Perkins" rings a bell with me although I can't find anything on paper. Jesse's wife's maiden name might have been Perkins and don't quote me but for some reason by brain says "Tabitha Perkins" or something like that. I'll look in one other place.

Sara Gaarde
saragaarde@gmail.com

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bebee, Clark
OK, found some more. Jesse Clark b. 17 May 1770 and died 9 January 1858 was married circa 1790 to Tabitha Perkins, daughter of Nathaniel Perkins and Mary Crandall maybe of Saratoga County, New York. An SAR application I found stated that Jesse's wife's name was Virtue Perkins, so her given name could be either Tabitha or Virtue, but surname was Perkins. Jesse and wife buried at Tifft farm cemetery in the town of Lorraine in Jeff county, NY.

Tabitha Perkins may have been born 18 June 1770 in Dutchess County, NY. Not sure. Found notes suggesting this.

Jesse Clark was a Quartermaster in the War of 1812 out of Jefferson County, NY.
Jesse and Tabitha Perkins Clark had eight children the youngest of which was Susan Clark who married William Beebe.

Look online for "Genealogical and Family History of Central New York" by William Richard Cutter. Go to Vol. 3, page 1391. Same book, Vol. 1, page 417 for history of our Clark family way back.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:05PM GMT
Surnames: Bebee, Clark
Please take this discussion to the proper board you are posting in Waushara county, Wisconsin, which obviously has nothing to do with your posts.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 11:36PM GMT
Thank you. I am sorry for the error. I think I have successfully moved my posts to Will County, Illinois.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic