Search for content in message boards

John WHITNEY (1600-1673) of Watertown,MA

John WHITNEY (1600-1673) of Watertown,MA

Ryan Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 10:00AM GMT
Hello WHITNEY Researchers:

Can anyone out there help me with the maiden
name of the 21st wife of John WHITNEY (1600-1673) of Watertown, MA

I understand that her first name was Elinore.

Any clues as to who her parents were?

Thank you all.

Ryan Jackson
America's First Families

John WHITNEY correction

Ryan Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 10:14AM GMT
Hello Everyone:

There is a mistake in my previous message.

I indicated 21st wife.

If that were the case he was a very busy man.

It should read 1st wife Elinore.

Sarry for the boo boo.

Bless you all.

Ryan Jackson
America's First Families

John and Elinor Whitney

Posted: 2 Jul 2000 12:38PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 4:46AM GMT
Hi Ryan: It seems we have several families in common
this message is in response to your query as to
the maiden name of Elinor.

From the online address
www.erols.com/rlward1/whitney/john/num0001.html
is as follows:

I. John Whitney; bap. 20 Jul 1592 in WEstminster; son of Thomas and Mary (Bray)
Whitney; m. Elinor (___?) before 1619 in London; first wife; m. Judah _--?--) Clement 29 Sep 1659
in Watertown, MA' second wife; d. 1 Jun 1673 in Watertown, MA, widower, aged about 84 years.
Family File 1 by Everton Publishers, found in the Allen County Public Library shows the wife's name as Elinor Bray
(John's mother's surname,) and gives her birthyear as 1599, all this on a Family Group Sheet # 16511.

This line continues through the Whitney, Van Ness and Abbott
line to my family. I would love to be in contact with you
especially for some Abbott info.

good luck, Carol

John Whitney

Judi (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2000 10:30AM GMT
John Whitney (1592-1673) was married to an
Elinor (1597-?) but I don't have a last name
for her. His second wife was Judah Clement.
Are you a decendant?
Posted: 6 Jul 2000 6:47PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2003 9:22PM GMT
Hi Ryan, Goodluck on your search. I have three quite comprehensive books on the Whitney dynasty: The Ancestors of John Whitney by Frederick Pierce, 1895; The Ancestry of John Whitney by Henry Melville, 1896; and Whitney, Wyne and Allied Families by the American Historical Society, 1928. Except for her name Elinor which is also spelled Eleanor, her surname was unknown. Sorry, Monte

Elinor's maiden name

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 8:43PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2001 2:09AM GMT
Carol Where is the Allen County you spoke of as listing Elinor Whitney's maiden name as Bray? Also I'm curious to know if there was any expanation given as to why John's mother had the same last name as Elinor..can you shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

John Elinor Whitney

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 8:52PM GMT
Judi..Yes I'm a descendent of John Elinor through their son Jonathan. My line goes as follows (John, Jonathan,Joseph,Joseph,Benjamin,Abel,Joseph,aJames,Zina Whitney Jones,Edith Jones Osborne,Patricia Osborne and then to me Noreen Maloney LaTour. Are you also a descendent of John and Elinor's and if so what's your lineage?

Elinor Whitney? BRAY????

Posted: 24 Jul 2000 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 4:46AM GMT
Yep! I am not sure at this writing if it was Allen
County, Indiana, that would be the Ft. WAyne library
which is quite a good place for genealogy, I hear.
If you still want to know, email me at cmarston@bytethis.com
and I will look it up.

I have done genealogy for many lines for many years.The closer you get to
the first families comings to America, the more repeats of family
names there are, in my trees anyways. The only thing that I would
guess is that it was a cousin or even a sibling! It happens!
I truly do not have that info. I have Bray written
in as an * note, as most researchers say Elinor's maiden
name is not known. Please do not use this information
as fact! I only offered it as a name written
as a possibility. Carol

another descendent of this line

Gail (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2000 8:40PM GMT
I was looking at the posts here for the first time,and thought I'd mention that I'm also a descendent of John and Elinor. My line is as follows - John and Elinor -> John and Ruth Reynolds -> Joseph and Martha Beach -> John and Sarah Cutting -> Zachariah and Sarah Bornton -> John and Priscilla Battles -> Zimri and Susannah Sanderson -> Issac and Maria Ockington -> Zimri and Susan Jane Fairbanks -> Luman Zimri and Georgietta Claire -> Arthur Leslie and Fannie Sinclair -> William Robert and Susan Whittemore.

I have some information dating back to Thomas Whitney and Mary Bray, some of which came from England. If interested, please e-mail me, and I will send a copy of what I have.

Seeking what you know about Thomas Mary Bray Whitney

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 5:13PM GMT
Gail
I am very interested in the information you have aboutThomas and Mary (Bray)Whitney John and Elinor Whitney including anything you have from England about them. I could not find your e mail address so am instead posting a message here in hopes you will see it and send me the information. My e mail address is vttrails@adelphia.net I am a descendant of John and Elinor's through their son Jonathan. My line continues as follows: Joseph,Joseph Jr.,Benjamin,Abel(who came to Tunbridge,Vermont),Joseph,JamesPierce Whitney and then goes to his daughter Zina who was my great grandmother. I live in northern Vermont but still have some relatives that reside in central Vermont in the general area where Abel first came from Massachusetts to. I look forward to hearing from you and hearing about what you know of our common ancestors.
Thanks ...Noreen LaTour
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions