Search for content in message boards

Smith's NC / KY

Smith's NC / KY

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 5:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith / Robbins
BIG BRICK WALL!!
Is anyone researching a Noah Smith born 1842/1844 NC.? Noah came to KY at some point, married Nancy Robbins in 1860 in Harlan County, KY, later married Judah Williams/Parsons, lived in Bell County,KY until his death around 1900. I have the names of his children by both wives, however I can not figure out who his parents are or when they came to KY.

Re: Smith's NC / KY

Posted: 6 May 2009 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Did you ever find out where Noah was from?

I am also researching Noah Smith because I think he might be related to David Smith b abt 1843 who was also from NC living in Bell Co, KY in 1870. David's family lived in close proximity to Noah's family in Bell Co, KY.

I think Nancy Robbins (Noah's wife) family was from Randolph Co, NC. I wonder if there's any chance that Noah is from Randolph Co as well? Or if Noah and David are related?

In the 1870 census, I also notice that there is a Mary Smith age 50 in 1870 living next door to David Smith's family. I'm wondering if this is David's mother, and if Noah is related, she could be his relative as well.

Hope this helps. I will keep you posted if I find anything else.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted: 8 May 2009 2:31AM GMT
Dennis, I'm still looking for documentation as to the parents of Noah, however,I'm pretty sure the Noah Smith in the 1850 and 1860 census for Jackson, KY., is my Noah Smith.
Noah is listed with parents Merida and Mary Smith along with siblings Elizabeth, Mary An,David,and William, all born in North Carolina.
Living nearby is part of the Issac family as well as the Williams family, which leads me to think I may be on the right track.
The same Noah Smith married Nancy Robbins who's Noah and Nancy show up in the 1870 census for Bell County as does his father Merida who is living with David and nearby is Noah's sister Mary.
If this is your Smith line I have some family stories I would be happy to share with you or anyone related to Noah and his family.
Noah is also mentioned in the book: "The History of Bell County." This book can be found online. Some of the information in regards to the children of Noah is wrong, Juda was not the mother of twins John and George or Levisa and Rebecca, as per my mother who was the daughter of John Smith.
Janice

Posted: 8 May 2009 12:29PM GMT
Janice,

Thank you so much! Yes, this is my Smith line. I descended from his brother David.

I noticed that David and Noah were living in close proximity in the 1870 Bell Co Census and that a Mary Smith, (age 50 in 1870, so born about 1820) was living next door to David. All were listed as being born in North Carolina.

So it sounds like David and Noah were brothers and that Mary is his mother afterall!

David's son, Lemuel Redman Smith (b Feb 25 1869 - my gg-grandfather), married Margaret Robbins b Sept 1867. Margaret was the daughter of William Alexander Robbins (Nancy Robbins brother), who were also living nearby in the 1870 Bell Co census.

I have a picture of Lemuel ("Red") I could send you if you'd like.

I would love to hear any stories you would like to share!

Thanks again,
Dennis

Posted: 8 May 2009 1:09PM GMT
Hello cousin,
David I would love to have anything you have on our Smith or Robbins family. It's so wonderful to finally find someone researching Noah and his family.
Please contact me direct, I have a lot to share you.
Janice eastkydaisy@windstream.net or eastkydaisy@aol.com

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Oh, I would totally love the pix of Red, and I'm, as you probably already know, the descendant of David Smith, who had James Smith, who had Mary Margaret Smith. It looks like Lemuel and James' dad was David....

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 5:19PM GMT
I have one pic of Red. I also have a pic of his brothers Rev George W, James, and Tom. If I can have your personal e-mail address, I can e-mail them to you. -Dennis

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 6:32PM GMT
Sweet. heatherdurian@yahoo.com

Also, I now believe my Robbins connection is through Mary Margaret Smith's mother Nancy, who I think is the child of Rachel and Lemuel. You wouldn't know who their parents are would you?

name: Nancy J Robins
estimated birth year: 1860
age in 1870: 10y
color (white, black, mulatto, chinese, indian): White
birthplace: Kentucky
home in 1870: Kentucky, United States
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Lemuel Robins
M 22y Kentucky
Rachael Robins
F 27y Kentucky
Martha J Robins
F 3y Kentucky
Sarah E Robins
F 1y Kentucky
Mitilda Robins
F 46y South Carolina
Wiley M Robins
M 18y North Carolina
John N Robins
M 14y North Carolina
Nancy J Robins F 10y Kentucky
William A Robins
M 6y Kentucky
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions