Search for content in message boards

William John PALMER, blacksmith England

William John PALMER, blacksmith England

Posted: 1 Apr 2006 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PALMER
Interested in any help with William John PALMER, blackmith in London or Middlesex area in 1880s,

Thanks,

Merle

Re: William John PALMER, blacksmith England

Colin Richardson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2006 12:10PM GMT
In the 1881 census there is only one William Palmer from London/Middlesex listed as a blacksmith.

He is living with his parents Charles and Ruth Palmer and five siblings in St Cuthbert Bedfordshire.

Cheers, Colin

Posted: 2 Apr 2006 7:30PM GMT
Colin,

Thanks for the message but I it can't be the same one. 'My' William Palmer was stated as the father of the groom at a wedding in 1880. I'm not familiar with English certificates so may have made the wrong assumption that he was still alive in 1880?
Regards,
Merle

Colin Richardson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2006 1:21AM GMT
Hi Merle,

One problem with the certificates is that unless the parties advised the registrar that their parents were deceased, it wasn't recorded.

The William Palmer you are looking for may well be dead in 1880.

Your best bvet is to trace the son back through the 1871, 1861 and 1851 census.

Cheer, Colin

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 4:08PM GMT
Colin,

Many thanks for your reply. When I received the copy of the marriage certificate I began to doubt if the family I had found in 1871 were correct as it showed William's wife having remarried a William Haddock. Your answer reassured me that I could still be looking at the right bunch!

Regards,
Merle

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 9:47AM GMT

one of the first blacksmiths ever to land on the new world who literally "saved" lots of lives by producing knives, cooking pots, nails and tools made from brass, copper, iron and pewter..also said to produce a simple metal armour for protection against arrows..I've read that he was a nailer back in england but cant be sure..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions