Search for content in message boards

Blackwatertown Cemetery

Blackwatertown Cemetery

kate mcananey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2003 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2003 4:05AM GMT
Looking for an old RC cemetery in Blackwatertown (early 1800's) Church is St. Jarlaths, is there a cemetery there?
Any transcribed inscriptions available that anyone knows about?

Re: Blackwatertown Cemetery

Michael Woods (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 12:12AM GMT
Dear kate
Yes there is a RC cemetery behind St Jarlath's. The old cemetery was closed to burials in 1939 and was all overgrown when I visited it in 2000. The newer cemetary is well taken care off. You are in luck. I just came back from LDS in Salt lake City where iIcame across an article by Charles Dillon the Sexton of the Church. In the article is a map of the old cemetery and a listing of the names on the headstones that were still legible ~1980. If you have a surname I'll look it up. I have no data on the newer cemetery except my family - the McCrilly's. Good luck Mike Woods

lisbofin (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2003 6:12AM GMT
Hi,

I come from BWT ..the old graveyard is adjacent to St Jarlath's RC as is the new graveyard.
I too have the map referred to by Mr.Woods ..albeit ..his info. on the aurthor is a little inaccurate.
Should you care to contact me ..i'll happily fax you all I have on old Clonfeacle.

kate (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2003 2:56PM GMT
Thank you! Any information would be very helpful and interesting. kate@redshift.com

Gwen Barry (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2003 7:41PM GMT
Would the person who comes from Blackwatertown, please let me know if he/she has records of any Davdison or Oliver families in that area prior to 1830?

Many thanks
Gwen in Nova Scotia

Nicholas Donnelly (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2004 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Donnelly and ?
I have just stumbled upon your chat with some other people about the Clonfeacle/Blackwatertown catholic cemetary. My Grandfather James Donnelly 1863?-1932 is burried there and I was wondering whether his father Charles (who died prior to the 1901 census) or perhaps his mother Anne might also be there. Have you any information regarding the headstone inscriptions that that might be of assistance.

Kind regads,

Nicholas Donnelly

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 5:25PM GMT
Hi,

My grandmother's stepmother was Mary Jane Lennon McManus.In the 1901 and 1911 she was living in Derryoghill with her 2 children. Her parents were Hugh Lennon and Susan Fox. I think she lived on Derryoghill Road.

Would she have been buried in Clonfeacle old graveyard? She died in 1935?

Mary

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 9:26PM GMT
If someone died in 1935 they would have been buried in the old graveyard. If you check out some of the earlier issues of the Duiche Neill publication (google it) there should be plenty of information about the old graveyard in Clonfeacle.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 9:13AM GMT
Hi Lisbofin,
My grandmother's family comes from Blackwatertown. The name is Hughes and her father was Patrick and grandfather was Peter Hughes.
Could you please send me the info you have on old Clonfeacle including the map you mention?

Thank you.

John

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 11:16PM GMT
Did you get the information you were looking for?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions