Search for content in message boards

Louis Antoine Juchereau de St.Denis

Louis Antoine Juchereau de St.Denis

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 5:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
I am 13 and am looking to see of there is any record of what Louis Antione Juchereau de St.Denis or his wife Maria Emmanuella Sanchez or there children looked like.Louis is my g,g,g,g,g,g,g,g grandfather.

Emilee Chamberlin

Re: Louis Antoine Juchereau de St.Denis

Bonita DeRosier Smith (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2001 4:52PM GMT
Emilee, there are several sources about your ancestor (and mine, too). Try your local library for these books:

1. Phares, Ross. Cavalier in the Wilderness: The Story of the Explorer and Trader Louis Juchereau de St. Denis. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1952. (I think this one has a photo of a bust of him located in Natchitoches, LA, and perhaps woodblock renderings of him. It's very scholarly but worth reading for its accuracy.)

2. Ruth, Cross. Soldier of Good Fortune: An Historical Novel. Dallas: Banks Upshaw and Co., 1936. (This book is based on fact but is also a romantic story--fiction.)

3. Title: Natchitoches: The Up-to-Date Oldest Town in Louisiana. (I don't have the rest of the bibliographical information for this one, but if you can't find the book, let me know and I'll dig up the rest of the information for you. This book actually has a family tree in it--a cool find.)

Other sources are available, but none have pictures or renderings of the family. But these will offer descriptions of them. If you do find portraits or drawings of the family, please let me know; I'd love to have a copy of them, too.

Let me know what you think of these sources.
Bonita Smith

Emilee Chamberlin (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2001 9:07PM GMT

Thank you a lot.And I will be sure to let you know if i find a picture or painting of him or his family.

Emilee

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 7:41PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2002 10:06PM GMT
Dear Bonita,

I would love to have a copy of the family tree you mentioned that is in the book "Natchitoches:The Up-To-Date Oldest Town in Louisiana". I checked the Birmingham Alabama Library's online catalog, and we don't have that one.

My ancestor, Joachin de Ortega y Prieto, married Marie Damasainte of the De Soto-St. Denys clan in Louisiana. I knew nothing about our DeSoto-St. Denys relatives until I started researching my Morein/Ortego family. My paternal grandmother was Marie Adiede Ortego, d/o Jean Baptiste Ortego and Louisa LaHaye.

Winston De Ville, F.A.S.G., well-known historian and genealogist wrote a nice piece for "La Voix des Prairies" (No. 10) on my ancestor "Joachin de Ortega y Prieto: The Spanish Ancestry of a Gateway Pioneer in Colonial Louisiana". I found a copy in the Evangeline Parish Library in Ville Platte.

My dad spoke of other ancestors, but for some reason, never mentioned DeSoto-St. Denys. I was thrilled to find a picture of my 2nd greatgrandfather, Pierre Felix Morin, who was born in 1819 in Pointe-a-Pitre, Quadeloupe. I asked my cousin who now has the picture how she happened to have it. She said her dad wanted the picture and simply took it from his father's house. When I asked about other pictures, she said the house from which Pierre Felix's picture came burned and all it's contents burned wit it!

Avec mes meilleurs seniments
(with my very best wishes)
Rosie Morein Wells
Birmingham, AL

Bonita DeRosier Smith (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2001 2:56AM GMT
Dear Rosie,

I'd be happy to send you a copy of the family tree. Why not send me you snail mail address off list? I'll photocopy the document and send it to you--it's rather large.

My paternal ggrandmother was Cleophise Ortego (of Plainsance, LA), d/o Joseph-Manual Ortego (Joachin de Ortega y Prieto and Marie-Josephe Demasainte de Soto) and Marie-Denise Vidrine. Cleophise Ortego was the second wife of my ggrandfather Samuel Derosier; she is buried in the Scared Heart Catholic Cemetery, Ville Platte, LA.

Best regards,
Bonita DeRosier Smith

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2002 10:06PM GMT
Rose E. Wells
4300 Mountaindale Road
Birmingham, AL 35212
(Please enclose a note telling me what you spent for photocopying and for mailing and I will reimburse you.)

Samuel Derosier married July 29, 1871, in Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Clothilde Ortego. Samuel was the son of Francois Deroiser and Marie Bogard. Clothilde was the daughter of Joseph Manuel Ortego and Marie Denise Vidrine. I show two children for Samuel and Clothilde: Samuel Edouard Derosier, b. April 15, bt. VP Ch. and Francois Joseph Derosier, bt. VP Ch., m. Dec. 13, 1900 in VP Ch. Eude Fontenot.

I don't have much information on the Derosier family, but I have quite a lot of information on the Ortegos, Vidrines, Bogards, and Fontenots, to name a few. All of us who were born in Southwest Louisiana or whose ancestors were born in SWLA are from the same gene pool. If there is anything I have that you can use, I will be happy to share. All of my information is on the computer. I use Family Tree Maker 7.5, but I send and receive GED files that can be opened with any program.

Sincerely,
Rosie Morein Wells
Birmingham, AL

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 10:47PM GMT
Hi I'm researching the family lines on St.Denis and Ortego and I saw that u have a family tree that u got from a book about natchitoches. I was wondering if u happen to have a copy of it that u could send me. I would really appreciate it because I love my family history and I want to share it. Thank you and God bless!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions