Search for content in message boards

Danish orphanage in Wisconsin

Danish orphanage in Wisconsin

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2002 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Petersen, Antonsen, Balk, Fietz, Krampert
My great-grandparents emigrated to Kenosha from Denmark in 1907, but following the death of his wife, my great-grandfather placed his five children in an orphanage in Wisconsin for two or more years until he remarried, approximately between 1910 and 1913. I have photographs of a large frame Victorian house that was this "orphanage," which my grandmother remembered being at some distance by train from Kenosha. I would appreciate any ideas on how to locate the site of this orphange

Re: Danish orphanage in Wisconsin

Posted: 6 Jul 2002 7:45PM GMT
There is a lodge here in Kenosha called the Danish Brotherhood. It's on the order of a Moose or Elks Club, so I don't know what sort of hours they keep, but I know that they are still active and perhaps there is someone there who might be able to answer your question. You can reach them at 262-657-9781.

Re: Danish orphanage in Wisconsin

Posted: 10 May 2005 10:07PM GMT
Karla, there is a town called Waupaca in a county of the same name in Wisconsin. In 1978 it was the locale of Bethany Home, Inc., 1226 Berlin St, zip 54981.

There was a special census of dependent children in 1923---to the best of my knowledge, the names of children were not collected. In this census, the institution in Waupaca was called the Danish Lutheran Bethania Orphans' Home, no address, under the auspices of United Danish Lutheran Churches. It was established in 1898.

This information is from page 413 of a book published in 1982: "Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes : An Historical Directory."

The federal census of 1910 would list the inmates of all institutions as well as people living with their families or alone. Try to find an expert at census research---by reading the message boards for various counties in Wisconsin. For example, Waupaca is at :

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=an&p=l...

Reg Niles

Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes : An Historical Directory

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 11:41PM GMT
Free access to the book is on the Internet as indicated at:
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.gaudry/2.3.13.1/mb.ashx

Reg Niles
RegNMINiles#cs.com
(change pound sign to at sign)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic