Search for content in message boards

Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Bill Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2000 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hodges
Trying to trace linage back to Va.John Hodges Grandfather to G W moved to SC piedmont early 1800s late 1700s aquired large track of land, now Hodges SC.Have some info. Will share. B.W.5/2/00

John Hodges father of GW Hodges

Sam Ault (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2000 10:12AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 2:16PM GMT
Hi
I just visted the grave of John Hodges in Hodges, SC. I believe there is a book that talks about John Hodges. His son George Washingon Hodges was a militia General. According to what I have is that John came south with his father as a teenager. Both he and his father went off the fight the British and while gone indians attacke the home place burning the cabin to the ground killing two daughters. A third daughter was kidnapped by an indian that knew her and she was taken away, returning some years later with a pre teen indian boy her son. The son did not like where he was and returned to his tribe and was never seen again. The daughter remarried. I have alittle more information but will have to dig it out. I am concerned that John Hodges grave is not being maintained in Hodges, SC being in a damp wooded area off a side road. For a Revolutionary war soldier he and that Hodges cemetery deserves more care.

Att. Sam Ault Subj. G W Hodges of Hodges SC

Bill Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2000 6:10AM GMT
I am a decendant of GWH.Have esentially the same info you have, maby a little more . Will follow up later.

John Hodges of S.C.

Linda Hennrich (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2000 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 2:17PM GMT
Hi Bill, I think this may also be my family line. Do you have any information as to what John Hodges wife's name was and did they have any children. Do you know if your John had a middle name?

Thanks,
Linda
Linda

Reply; John Hodges of Hodges, SC

Posted: 5 Sep 2000 7:32PM GMT
Linda,

Reply; John Hodges of Hodges, SC

Posted: 5 Sep 2000 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 3:03PM GMT
Linda,
There were two John Hodges,father and son.
George Washington Hodges was a son of the son.His father John had a number of children,I will have to hunt for the names.
Will post later. Bill Wilson

James Hodges

Posted: 15 Feb 2001 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 8:36PM GMT
Does anyone have information on James Hodges who was born about 1750 SC. He later lived in Jefferson Co. TN and Limestone Co. AL. He and his first wife were supposed to have had eleven children and he and Rachel, his second wife had eight children. Would appreciate any help with this family.

Re: John Hodges father of GW Hodges

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 10:20PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 4:19PM GMT
hello my name is joyce hodges nutter, my father's family they are from hodgesville,belton,s.c. my grandfather's name was george his wife's name was carrie, from their union 3 children,elliott,george, virigina,please email so we can talk.

Re: Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 11:46PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2009 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hodges, Long, Anderson, Douglass, Cantey,Hart, Smith, Stokes
Dear Bill, I hope that you will be reading this. I have a record of a George Washington Hodges and will share what I have with you. If you wish you can contact me thru
pebcous@yahoo.com and we can share other info. Will be grateful for anything I can get on this elusive Hodges clan. I am sending you my notes that cover both John and G.W. Hodges. Also I have that John was born 1765 (not a firm date) in Essex, VA, married Margaret Long abt 1786 (she dies 1790) and he married Frances Anderson (bn 22 Mar 1773 of Abbeville Dist. SC, in 1790 (mother of G.W.2d child and 1st son), she died 14 Mar 1844 Abbeyville, SC. This G.W. was born 3 Sep 1792 of Abbeyville Dist., marries Rebecca Douglass 15 Oct 1815, Abbeyville Dist., and dies 24 Mar 1876 Abbeyville Dist. If this is your G.W. read on.
This my note info:
Tombstone Inscriptions from Family Graveyards in Greenwood County, SC by Margaret J. and Louise M. Watson FHL 975.733 V3w Hodges Family burying ground. This burying ground is just over a mile north of Hodges on the south side of state road 374. Turn east from highway 178 onto road 374, cross the railroad and few yards beyond is the railroad crossing sign; opposite the sign is a logging road and about 200 paces down that rough trail the tombstones can be seen across a gully to the east, in the woods.

Inscriptions

Mrs. Frances Hodges - wife of - Maj. John Hodges - who departed this life- 14th March 1844 - with a glorious hope of - a blessed immortality -aged 70 yrs 11 mos and 22 days.

Maj. John Hodges - who departed this life - 24th Dec. 1834 - aged about 78

and many others with last names of Cantey, Hart, Anderson, Smith, Stokes,and other Hodges.

There are indications of additional graves here.

(The Revolutionary War pension record of John Hodges shows that he entered service Apr 1, 1780 as a private at the age of 15 and served about 21 months. His title of "Major" may have come from state militia service later. He was twice married, first to Margaret Long, two children; and second to Frances Anderson, 16 children. George Washington Hodges was the oldest son of the second marriage and was a brigadier general in the state milita. The town of Hodges is named for Gen. G. W. Hodges.)
Hope to hear from you in the near future.
A possible cousin, Virginia Bartelt

Re: Grorge Washington Hodges, of Hodges SC

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Hodges, Elliott, Cromwall, Cromwell
I have a George Washington Hodges as a gr grandfather. Est dob 1844-58 in LA. Married Julie Ann Elliott in 1886 in Blooming Grove, Navarro, Texas. I have limited information about possible parents - Charley Hodges - Matilda Cromwall.

Do you have an ancestor that fits this person.

Shelia W.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions